Any cyclists who don't prefer bibs?

jojoma

Sep 7, 2007
I just recently got my first pair of bibs. Nice Italian pair. I had to have a pair because everyone says how great bibs are. But I'm not sure if bibs are for me. I can hardly breathe with those straps wrapped around my lungs. Should I just give it some time? I mean, there must be a reason most avid cyclists wear them. :cool:

Give it some time. Bibs are the only way to go, IMO. May need a size check as they should never be so tight as to impede airflow...

They must be too tight. Sometimes it's hard to get the right length, especially with internet buying.

Back to jojoma's question: Why do you prefer bibs over shorts?

Or shorts over bib's?

I prefer shorts with clip-on suspenders. Never really tried bibs, but the idea doesn't make sense to me; one size fits all? The guys is our club have to add material from the straps or cut it out. Shorts are cheaper, suspenders move from pair to pair, and adjust. Plus they're a pain to get 'em down for the toilet. It's like that Flashdance scene, but without the fantasy...;)

Bibs:
  1. Stay in place
  2. Don't need a waistband
  3. Don't need suspenders
  4. Are just so damned comfortable
Simple. As for going to the bathroom, if you can't figure it out, then cycling might be too complicated for you.

Oddly enough, bibs come in multiple sizes! On top of that, there are multiple manufacturers, all who grade their sizing a bit differently! Who knew?!

jojoma said:
I just recently got my first pair of bibs. Nice Italian pair. I had to have a pair because everyone says how great bibs are. But I'm not sure if bibs are for me. I can hardly breathe with those straps wrapped around my lungs. Should I just give it some time? I mean, there must be a reason most avid cyclists wear them. :cool:

Like saddles, shoes, and underwear, not every brand works for everyone. It could be you bought the wrong size or that the manufacturer from whom you bought doesn't work for you.

i use shorts for indoor trainer
bibs for all the rest

64Paramount said:
Back to jojoma's question: Why do you prefer bibs over shorts?

Or shorts over bib's?
I actually just took a ride with some shorts (I've been a bib man for the past 3 yrs) and they weren't as bad as I expected.

Still, bibs ARE more comfortable and stay in place better. The shorts I had to keep adjusting....of course I have bit of a beer gut, which most cyclists don't have...at least most cyclists outside Wisconsin.

I've been wearing shorts for the last several years and find them very comfortable, and they are usually less expensive than bibs. I don't have any issues with them staying in place, so I've never had to use suspenders. That sounds like it would be a hassle.

But, I have been thinking about getting a set of bibs again if I found some good ones discounted enough.

Seems like someone on here recently had mentioned how much they like Cavalo's.

Nashbar has this pair for sale at what seems to be a very good price and there are a lot of favorable reviews.

Cavalo Corsa Bib Short - Shorts

I normally wear small size shorts and one of the Cavalo's reviewers mentioned that they are 5'10" 150lbs and the medium bibs fit them almost perfectly.

I'm 5'10" 155lbs, so I would've thought I needed the small size if not for that review.

I assume we're talking bib shorts here - I confess that I've never tried them.

I don't see the point. My shorts are comfortable, they don't slip, and they cost less. I gather that bib shorts are also comfortable and don't slip, but one poster here has said he feel constricted in his breathing and I also wonder about how they'd be in hot weather. Wouldn't it be like riding with an extra layer on?

I've also never heard of suspenders with shorts - why would anyone need suspenders unless their gut is so big the shorts can't stay up?

Yojimbo_ said:
I also wonder about how they'd be in hot weather. Wouldn't it be like riding with an extra layer on?
No. The suspenders are lycra, back is open and so is the front. Might be more comfortable than shorts because you don't have that concentration of material around your beltline.

Chavez said:
No. The suspenders are lycra, back is open and so is the front. Might be more comfortable than shorts because you don't have that concentration of material around your beltline.

Well, it really depends on the manufacturer and the model. The bibs in the link provided by 64 Paramount appear to cover, with solid lycra, a lot of the back.....and maybe the front. Some bibs are solid lycra all the way to the shoulders in back. Others are quite open. Assos bibs have a mesh between the shoulder straps. Giordana FormaRed bibs have a single strap, at the top, between the bibs. There are many variations on that theme. As I mentioned earlier, bibs/bib knickers/bib tights designed for cooler weather tend to cover more skin on the torso.

Also keep in mind that not all lycra performs the same as far as heat retention goes. Wear a pair of bibs made with a Roubaix lycra compared to a standard weight or light weight lycra, on hot summer day, and you'll see a big difference.

As with most things, spending more can get you better design/features (to an extent, of course). Assos, Giordana, Castelli, and a few others have some well thought out designs, as far as keeping the rider cool goes. I'd wager to say that the Castelli Paint bibs are anything but hot:

cstmbsbody-alt.jpg

I wear bib shorts and they are the most comfortable as compared to just shorts. Reason being is the pressure is applied at the shoulders rather than waist. This is mostly alleviated and not noticed when in position on the bike. When riding with shorts I feel an uncomfortable tension on my waist line. It really is something that different people like different things and there is no right answer. My bibs are all mesh above the normal shorts line and very minimal amount just to form "suspenders". Very comfortable and forgiving.

alienator said:
alienator said:
  1. Are just so damned comfortable
Simple. As for going to the bathroom, if you can't figure it out, then cycling might be too complicated for you.

What a load of rubbish! What if you want to have a dump mid ride? Shorts are a
lot easier to slip down to your ankles. ;)