Any decent bike stores...

Jon B

Guest
....in the North Derbyshire, North Notts, Sheffield area?

Based in Chesterfield, very local to JE James, but popped in a few
weekends ago and was very underwhelmed. Stuffs all over the place and
very understaffed. Did I just pick the wrong day, or is there somewhere
decent I should be going...
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.

Jon B wrote:
> ....in the North Derbyshire, North Notts, Sheffield area?
>
> Based in Chesterfield, very local to JE James, but popped in a few
> weekends ago and was very underwhelmed. Stuffs all over the place and
> very understaffed. Did I just pick the wrong day, or is there somewhere
> decent I should be going...

this is a very good place to go

DAVE MARSH FRAMES
UNIVERSAL CYCLE CENTRE 122 MANOR ROAD MALTBY
ROTHERHAM, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Tel: 0709 813089

> > Based in Chesterfield, very local to JE James, but popped in a few
> > weekends ago and was very underwhelmed. Stuffs all over the place and
> > very understaffed. Did I just pick the wrong day, or is there somewhere
> > decent I should be going...

I would phone and ask to speak to Stuart or Paul in sales .It is a
good place and if local it would be a shame to write it off .
Perhaps they were having a bad day, or just not pressurising you.They
do a lot of business.Their ad in the cycling weekly must cost a couple
of grand or so.
TerryJ

> ...in the North Derbyshire, North Notts, Sheffield area?
>
> Based in Chesterfield, very local to JE James, but popped in a few
> weekends ago and was very underwhelmed. Stuffs all over the place and
> very understaffed. Did I just pick the wrong day, or is there somewhere
> decent I should be going...

I'm pretty happy with Langsett Cycles on Langsett Road in Sheffield. They've
always had everything I've needed and the staff are friendly and
knowledgeable. They also do student discount which is a nice plus in my
book!

Dave

"Jon B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1hyb9j8.161o3nnekf9hcN%[email protected]...
> ...in the North Derbyshire, North Notts, Sheffield area?
>
> Based in Chesterfield, very local to JE James, but popped in a few
> weekends ago and was very underwhelmed. Stuffs all over the place and
> very understaffed. Did I just pick the wrong day, or is there somewhere
> decent I should be going...
> --
> Jon B
> Above email address IS valid.
> <http://www.bramley-computers.co.uk/> Apple Laptop Repairs.

Over the last 4 years I have had very good service ( and so a good
relationship) with JE James in Rotherham ( the old "Fire Station")

So I suppose they know me!

I bought my 2nd bike from Langsett Cycles in January last year and also
found them a good LBS -- but they are double the distance from my home ( and
also a bit "minimum staffed"-- so I continue to use ( not very frequently)
James's of Rotherham. I even get good service in Halfords of Doncaster from a
guy who learnt his trade from James's when I pop in for minor bits and pieces
( it is on one of my regular cycling shopping routes --- but they don't have
any bike racks to lock up to -- oh and when I think about it neither do
James's in Rotherham or Langsett Cycles!!!!!).

Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

"Trevor A Panther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Jon B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:1hyb9j8.161o3nnekf9hcN%[email protected]...
>> ...in the North Derbyshire, North Notts, Sheffield area?
>>
>> Based in Chesterfield, very local to JE James, but popped in a few
>> weekends ago and was very underwhelmed. Stuffs all over the place and
>> very understaffed. Did I just pick the wrong day, or is there somewhere
>> decent I should be going...
>> --
>> Jon B
>> Above email address IS valid.
>> <http://www.bramley-computers.co.uk/> Apple Laptop Repairs.

> Over the last 4 years I have had very good service ( and so a good
> relationship) with JE James in Rotherham ( the old "Fire Station")
>
> So I suppose they know me!
>
> I bought my 2nd bike from Langsett Cycles in January last year and also
> found them a good LBS -- but they are double the distance from my home
> ( and also a bit "minimum staffed"-- so I continue to use ( not very
> frequently) James's of Rotherham. I even get good service in Halfords of
> Doncaster from a guy who learnt his trade from James's when I pop in for
> minor bits and pieces ( it is on one of my regular cycling shopping
> outes --- but they don't have any bike racks to lock up to -- oh and
> when I think about it neither do James's in Rotherham or Langsett
> Cycles!!!!!).
>
> Trevor A Panther
> In South Yorkshire,
> England, United Kingdom.
> www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

I go in James's in Rotherham quite often. They know their stuff, but like
all cycle shops can't stand and talk for long at weekends. As for parking,
when I'm on the bike I take it in and lean it against the side of the
counter, and ask them if it's ok to leave it there. Never been turned down
yet.

Nigel

in message <[email protected]>, Trevor A
Panther ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Over the last 4 years I have had very good service ( and so a good
> relationship) with JE James in Rotherham ( the old "Fire Station")
>
> So I suppose they know me!
>
> I bought my 2nd bike from Langsett Cycles in January last year and also
> found them a good LBS -- but they are double the distance from my home (
> and also a bit "minimum staffed"-- so I continue to use ( not very
> frequently) James's of Rotherham. I even get good service in Halfords of
> Doncaster from a guy who learnt his trade from James's when I pop in for
> minor bits and pieces
> ( it is on one of my regular cycling shopping routes --- but they don't
> have any bike racks to lock up to -- oh and when I think about it neither
> do
> James's in Rotherham or Langsett Cycles!!!!!).

Neither does my LBS, although I have suggested it to them. In fact, it's
surprising how few do. The Co-op - the proper original co-op on
Bruntsfield Links - has a sort of tail thing you can lock to, but it isn't
nearly as good as a rank of sheffield stands. Does the new co-op in
Manchester have bike racks?

;; It's dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.
;; Voltaire RIP Dr David Kelly 1945-2004

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Neither does my LBS, although I have suggested it to them. In fact, it's
> surprising how few do. The Co-op - the proper original co-op on
> Bruntsfield Links - has a sort of tail thing you can lock to, but it isn't
> nearly as good as a rank of sheffield stands. Does the new co-op in
> Manchester have bike racks?

Most LBS's including EBC but not Halfords or the Nicholson St branch of
the Bicycle Works I have seen in Edinburgh have railings along their
windows you can secure your bike to. You can even spot a few shops that
were at one time bike shops but that have changed usage as they still
have them. I am thinking in particular of a shop near the Argyle Place
branch of the Bicycle Works. I can't remember what it used to be called
though.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Evolution is a harsh mistress.

> Neither does my LBS, although I have suggested it to them. In fact,
> it's surprising how few do. The Co-op - the proper original co-op on
> Bruntsfield Links - has a sort of tail thing you can lock to, but it
> isn't nearly as good as a rank of sheffield stands. Does the new co-op
> in Manchester have bike racks?

We've got plenty of sheffield stands, and ickle stands inside for the
customers bringing their bikes into the shop.

Trevor A Panther <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Jon B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:1hyb9j8.161o3nnekf9hcN%[email protected]...
> > ...in the North Derbyshire, North Notts, Sheffield area?
> >
> > Based in Chesterfield, very local to JE James, but popped in a few
> > weekends ago and was very underwhelmed. Stuffs all over the place and
> > very understaffed. Did I just pick the wrong day, or is there somewhere
> > decent I should be going...
> > --
> > Jon B
> > Above email address IS valid.
> > <http://www.bramley-computers.co.uk/> Apple Laptop Repairs.

> Over the last 4 years I have had very good service ( and so a good
> relationship) with JE James in Rotherham ( the old "Fire Station")
>
> So I suppose they know me!
>
> I bought my 2nd bike from Langsett Cycles in January last year

Thanks (to all) for the suggestions, double recommendation added of
Langsett to my list for future use.

I gave JEJ a second go today, got a much prompter service this time with
somebody who could spare a few mins to point out what I wanted/needed,
so given the bike a much needed service this afternoon.