Any diff btwn Campy Eurus '05 and '07's?

teamgomez

Aug 23, 2005
G'day fellow two wheeled purveyors of pain-

a set of '05 eurus popped up for $450 around my neck of the woods and trying to determine value and if there are any major diffs for the model line over the past 5 years or so. Seems this year's (2009) major benny is the ability to mount clinchers or tubes, but that seems to be about it.

Penny for your thoughts- thx!

teamgomez said:
G'day fellow two wheeled purveyors of pain-

a set of '05 eurus popped up for $450 around my neck of the woods and trying to determine value and if there are any major diffs for the model line over the past 5 years or so. Seems this year's (2009) major benny is the ability to mount clinchers or tubes, but that seems to be about it.

Penny for your thoughts- thx!

2005 the spokes were stainless steel. 2006 and later uses aluminum spokes, different rim. Later the 'G3' spoking. About the only thing the same is hub innards, cones and bearing balls.

Thanks- took a look at the wheels today and was very surprised to feel such a crappy hubset...felt like my '85 Nashbar on dry bearings...leads me to wonder.

Owner is a good dude and they weren't left outside/abused/ridden wet. Wonder what the cost is for a new set of bearings for the campy? Given they want $375 for a cassette...don't want to wade into these wheels and learn that hub rebuilds are $200. They definitely don't feel like $1k wheel hubsets...very surprised they're cup/bearing.

Also- these Eurus had really thin bladed spokes. A lot like my FSA's...given all the pix I've seen on the 'bay I thought they'd have been wider bladed spokes.

Thoughts?

The older Eurus models are arguably better wheels then the present incarnation. The steel spokes will be more robust and aero than the fat alu ones. The rims on the older model are 30 mm front and rear, making them also marginally more aero than the newer model. Bearings can be had for about $30 if you look around. No need to spend $375 for a Campy cassette, Veloce or Centaur steel cassettes perform the same function as titanium Record ones for about $90 or so.

teamgomez said:
Thanks- took a look at the wheels today and was very surprised to feel such a crappy hubset...felt like my '85 Nashbar on dry bearings...leads me to wonder.

Owner is a good dude and they weren't left outside/abused/ridden wet. Wonder what the cost is for a new set of bearings for the campy? Given they want $375 for a cassette...don't want to wade into these wheels and learn that hub rebuilds are $200. They definitely don't feel like $1k wheel hubsets...very surprised they're cup/bearing.

Also- these Eurus had really thin bladed spokes. A lot like my FSA's...given all the pix I've seen on the 'bay I thought they'd have been wider bladed spokes.

Thoughts?

15 5/32 balls in a cage on each hub, 2 sets each. Cones tho, are expensive. About $25 per, 2 per wheel but the same cone front or back.

What the other guy said about cogsets. NO performance to be gained by spending 2 or 3 times as much for a Record cogset. Least expensive compatible cogset and chain. They will work and wear the same.

copy all guys, thx for the inputs. I waved off on these Eurus and it appears that I'd likely have been another hundy in the hole on top of the buy-in.

Got me thinking about a set of Williams 30's...he's right over the mountains from me and I like what I read about his perserverance at making his customers happy.

I am also finding out how damn *fickle* this campy gear is...this record set on the new steed is my first foray into italian metals and so far I've been thru two different 12/25's (a used record and a miche) and drivetrain rejected both'em. Granted, the record was used (probably set aside 'cuz it can't hold on the 19 cog above 350 watts or so) and miche should be spelled H-U-F-F-Y...so in a nutshell ordered a chorus 12/25 from the UK folks and I'll not be spending over $300 for a new record anytime soon (unless that sponsorship package works out...HA!).

Again- thx for info guys. Ride on.

teamgomez said:
copy all guys, thx for the inputs. I waved off on these Eurus and it appears that I'd likely have been another hundy in the hole on top of the buy-in.

Got me thinking about a set of Williams 30's...he's right over the mountains from me and I like what I read about his perserverance at making his customers happy.

I am also finding out how damn *fickle* this campy gear is...this record set on the new steed is my first foray into italian metals and so far I've been thru two different 12/25's (a used record and a miche) and drivetrain rejected both'em. Granted, the record was used (probably set aside 'cuz it can't hold on the 19 cog above 350 watts or so) and miche should be spelled H-U-F-F-Y...so in a nutshell ordered a chorus 12/25 from the UK folks and I'll not be spending over $300 for a new record anytime soon (unless that sponsorship package works out...HA!).

Again- thx for info guys. Ride on.

Seem the same thing with Miche and IRD cogsets-also spelled 'junque'.