any downside to Wipperman Connex link?

Bob Ross

Jun 22, 2006
I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is there any downside to these gizmos?

I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might be viewed as a negative.

Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

Bob Ross said:
I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is there any downside to these gizmos?

I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might be viewed as a negative.

Any reason I shouldn't consider one?
I have been using them for a couple years on my Campy Chains, with no issues. A friend of mine broke one during a warm up on a race, but I think they are fine. just make sure not to let them get too old.

I've used them for years. Usually throw them away when the chain is replaced, there again the chains I use generally come with a new pair.

Keep some old ones in the bag for when I'm out and about and find a girly in distress with a busted/twisted chain (but do make sure you know how to operate a chain riveter to make a space for it ;-) Never needed to use the spares myself. Never had them fail.

threaded said:
I've used them for years. Usually throw them away when the chain is replaced, there again the chains I use generally come with a new pair.

Keep some old ones in the bag for when I'm out and about and find a girly in distress with a busted/twisted chain (but do make sure you know how to operate a chain riveter to make a space for it ;-) Never needed to use the spares myself. Never had them fail.
I've used SRAM links for a while, when I installed a new chain. After cleaning the chain and putting it back together it failed. I did about 6 km uphill with no problems when I was going down on rough gravel and no effort on the pedals it failed and I ended up with a broken chain and struggling to get home.
I bought a new one about two months ago and it has been working normal, I bought a new chain before I got the new link (before the next ride) now I have a new spare chain..

Solanog said:
I've used SRAM links for a while, when I installed a new chain. After cleaning the chain and putting it back together it failed. I did about 6 km uphill with no problems when I was going down on rough gravel and no effort on the pedals it failed and I ended up with a broken chain and struggling to get home.
I bought a new one about two months ago and it has been working normal, I bought a new chain before I got the new link (before the next ride) now I have a new spare chain..
I bought a new Dura Ace chain and the LBS installed one, at the first 100 Km ride my chain started to jump when using 13, 12 or 11 gears, something that never happen before.

I return the same day to the LBS and asked for a new chain with out the link, it never has jumped gears again.

The only reason to ask for a new chain haven used the old for only 115 Kms is that my worst bike fall was when my chain broke at the middle of a climb and I was standing at the pedals, it was not a nice crash.

cuervo said:
I bought a new Dura Ace chain and the LBS installed one, at the first 100 Km ride my chain started to jump when using 13, 12 or 11 gears, something that never happen before.

I return the same day to the LBS and asked for a new chain with out the link, it never has jumped gears again.

The only reason to ask for a new chain haven used the old for only 115 Kms is that my worst bike fall was when my chain broke at the middle of a climb and I was standing at the pedals, it was not a nice crash.
I've been told that they can skip on the 11 tooth. I run campag chorus 07 and no skipping problems for me, works great (touch wood..)

No problems here either. About 8000 km using the same one on Shimano 105 and Ultegra chains. I probably should replace it some time. Never had an issue with it. Once you've got one you'll wonder why you never had one before. You can whip the chain off when you clean the bike - gives better access - back on again in a couple of minutes.

I have heard of them coming loose when back-pedalling against a tight freehub ratchet - which is not surprising, as loosening the tension is how you undo them.

Jono L said:
I've been told that they can skip on the 11 tooth. I run campag chorus 07 and no skipping problems for me, works great (touch wood..)

It will skip on the 11 tooth cog when the link is installed upside down. Follow the instructions supplied. If the LBS installs the chain, it is stated on the instructions that the instruction sheet to given to the customer. LBS's sometimes don't install correctly.

The SRAM master links supplied with their chains are symmetrical, so the orientation doesn't matter.

Nope.

Usually run a 12-25 but this new bike came with an 11-23. Also Getting a 13-29 for some of my *really* hilly races next year!

Powerful Pete said:
You guys run an 11 tooth? Whoa. Strong men. Or do you ride compacts?
Oh yeh, had a race recently where I actually, really needed an 11 tooth (53x11 that is;) ). First time in 3 years I've been happy to sit in the 11:)

Powerful Pete said:
You guys run an 11 tooth? Whoa. Strong men. Or do you ride compacts?

rarely need the 11t, but I find myself in the 39/12-13-14 combos all the time and having an 11 keeps me from cross-chaining too much. I have used the 53/11t in races before, but more likely I'm sprinting in the 12 or 13. On Connex links, I actually picked up something called a Superlink which is designed for a campy ultra narrow chain. Snaps on and off like the connex link, little cheaper and the shape is more like the rest of the links. So far so good, but does anyone have any experience with this link?

Generally ride a 11-23 with a standard 53/39, comes in really handy for those final sprints. as for the links I have tried conex, sram and a wipperman and they have all given me nothing but trouble. I have never needed to take the chain off to clean it so the result I have about a dozen of the shimano pins sitting in my toolbox.

PeterF said:
rarely need the 11t, but I find myself in the 39/12-13-14 combos all the time and having an 11 keeps me from cross-chaining too much. I have used the 53/11t in races before, but more likely I'm sprinting in the 12 or 13. On Connex links, I actually picked up something called a Superlink which is designed for a campy ultra narrow chain. Snaps on and off like the connex link, little cheaper and the shape is more like the rest of the links. So far so good, but does anyone have any experience with this link?

From scuttlebutt here and there, the Superlink will start "clicking" when it needs replaced. I don't know how frequently that replacement must occur. Otherwise, they're pretty well regarded.

On the Wipperman side, if anyone be using Campy UN chains, the Connex 10S1 is the link you want. The other Connex 10 spd chain is too wide between the plates. As someone else said, the Connex link only skips if it's installed upside down.

If KMC made a link to fit Campy UN, that would be the best link going.

alienator said:
From scuttlebutt here and there, the Superlink will start "clicking" when it needs replaced. I don't know how frequently that replacement must occur. Otherwise, they're pretty well regarded.

On the Wipperman side, if anyone be using Campy UN chains, the Connex 10S1 is the link you want. The other Connex 10 spd chain is too wide between the plates. As someone else said, the Connex link only skips if it's installed upside down.

If KMC made a link to fit Campy UN, that would be the best link going.
I'm getting a clicking now but the Superlink only has a couple hundred miles on it, so I suspect I have other issues. Off topic, but my Record Jockey Wheels (from 2004) look like they have been through a cheese grater. Not sure if this is normal wear and tear or caused bu the connex link, but has anyone else experienced this?

They will skip because of it being on wrong.
Take a close look....they are curved. If you have the "hump" side towards the cogs, that's when it will skip.
Turn it over...swap sides. You'll be fine.
Good luck.

I've had no problems with the Connex links, but I had a KMC link that wore prematurely, making that segment of the chain fail the test with a chain "stretch" checker, while the rest of the chain was fine.