any downside to Wippermann Connex link?

Bob Ross

Guest
I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
there any downside to these gizmos?

I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone
at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine
that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more
concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain
or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might
be viewed as a negative.

Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

On May 16, 6:56 am, Bob Ross <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
> disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
> there any downside to these gizmos?
>
> I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone
> at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine
> that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more
> concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain
> or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might
> be viewed as a negative.
>
> Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

I swore off the Wipperman ones after one broke as I was taking off
from a 4-way stop last year. I was barely moving, but I went down
pretty hard. Since then, I've stuck with KMC and SRAM quick links,
more out of superstition than any empirical quality concerns.

Like you say, it's not a common occurrence, but once is really all it
takes.

Hank wrote:

> On May 16, 6:56 am, Bob Ross <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent
>> quick- disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain &
>> drivetrain easier. Is there any downside to these gizmos?
>>
>> I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links
>> coming undone at the starting line of a race (!) but as far
>> as I can determine that's not a common enough occurence for
>> me to worry about. I'm more concerned with whether they
>> affect longevity/durability of the chain or cogs, or if they
>> affect shifting, or... well, anything that might be viewed as
>> a negative.
>>
>> Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

> I swore off the Wipperman ones after one broke as I was taking
> off from a 4-way stop last year. I was barely moving, but I
> went down pretty hard. Since then, I've stuck with KMC and
> SRAM quick links, more out of superstition than any empirical
> quality concerns.
>
> Like you say, it's not a common occurrence, but once is really
> all it takes.

Seconded. There are 6 cyclists in this family, and I use
various width SRAM Powerlinks (black, silver or gold, depending
on the chain width) without any problems whatsoever.

I've used Wipperman conneX links only twice, and a side plate
failed on one of those, breaking the chain.

John

On May 16, 2:56 pm, Bob Ross <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
> disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
> there any downside to these gizmos?
>
> I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone
> at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine
> that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more
> concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain
> or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might
> be viewed as a negative.
>
> Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

I have a Wipperman link but it's on a new, as yet unfitted chain. My
SRAM quick-disconnect links have so far lasted 3200km on one bike and
2200km on another bike, in each case on the original chain. The chains
are in full crankcases, so there is no dirt to set up a grinding
action. I use White Lightning dry wax lube, so it is easy to see in
the bottom of the crankcase where the little balls of wax collect what
it is that they surround -- and on these bikes is mostly oil that
didn't all quite get cleaned off the the chain before I applied the
wax, not dirt. I gave both those bikes their six-monthly service a
while ago and inspected the SRAM links somewhat cursorily without
disassembling the chains; they were obviously fine, not thinned out
anywhere. For perspective, my open chains last about a thousand miles
and a bit, say not quite up to 2000km, and the SRAM quick links on
those have always seen the chain out.

After the comments here perhaps I won't even try the Wipperman quick-
link, and instead use the proven SRAM quick-link on the Wipperman
chain. Or it may be that it is a chain hygiene matter, that a properly
clean and lubricated Connex link will last as well as the SRAM one.
How well did you fellows with the Connex breakages look after your
chains?

I'm definitely a convert to the benefits of fully enclosed crankcases.

HTH.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE & CYCLING.html

On May 16, 10:34 am, Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 16, 2:56 pm, Bob Ross <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
> > disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
> > there any downside to these gizmos?

> I have a Wipperman link but it's on a new, as yet unfitted chain. My
> SRAM quick-disconnect links have so far lasted 3200km on one bike and
> 2200km on another bike, in each case on the original chain. The chains
> are in full crankcases...

> ... For perspective, my open chains last about a thousand miles
> and a bit, say not quite up to 2000km, and the SRAM quick links on
> those have always seen the chain out.
>

> I'm definitely a convert to the benefits of fully enclosed crankcases.

Does that have a derailer inside?

Andre Jute wrote:
> On May 16, 2:56 pm, Bob Ross <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
>> disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
>> there any downside to these gizmos?
>>
>> I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone
>> at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine
>> that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more
>> concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain
>> or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might
>> be viewed as a negative.
>>
>> Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

> I have a Wipperman link but it's on a new, as yet unfitted chain. My
> SRAM quick-disconnect links have so far lasted 3200km on one bike and
> 2200km on another bike, in each case on the original chain. The chains
> are in full crankcases, so there is no dirt to set up a grinding
> action. I use White Lightning dry wax lube, so it is easy to see in
> the bottom of the crankcase where the little balls of wax collect what
> it is that they surround -- and on these bikes is mostly oil that
> didn't all quite get cleaned off the the chain before I applied the
> wax, not dirt. I gave both those bikes their six-monthly service a
> while ago and inspected the SRAM links somewhat cursorily without
> disassembling the chains; they were obviously fine, not thinned out
> anywhere. For perspective, my open chains last about a thousand miles
> and a bit, say not quite up to 2000km, and the SRAM quick links on
> those have always seen the chain out.
>
> After the comments here perhaps I won't even try the Wipperman quick-
> link, and instead use the proven SRAM quick-link on the Wipperman
> chain. Or it may be that it is a chain hygiene matter, that a properly
> clean and lubricated Connex link will last as well as the SRAM one.
> How well did you fellows with the Connex breakages look after your
> chains?
>
> I'm definitely a convert to the benefits of fully enclosed crankcases.
>
> HTH.
>
> Andre Jute
> http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE & CYCLING.html

Wipperman Connex links are fine. Never had any problems with them and
I'm using them for almost 10 years on my road bikes. They are easier to
open then the SRAM links and are better made IMO. Only downside? They
are more expensive when you buy them separately.

Lou

On May 16, 6:44 pm, Dan O <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 16, 10:34 am, Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On May 16, 2:56 pm, Bob Ross <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
> > > disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
> > > there any downside to these gizmos?

> > I have a Wipperman link but it's on a new, as yet unfitted chain. My
> > SRAM quick-disconnect links have so far lasted 3200km on one bike and
> > 2200km on another bike, in each case on the original chain. The chains
> > are in full crankcases...
> > ... For perspective, my open chains last about a thousand miles
> > and a bit, say not quite up to 2000km, and the SRAM quick links on
> > those have always seen the chain out.

> > I'm definitely a convert to the benefits of fully enclosed crankcases.

> Does that have a derailer inside?

No. These are singlespeed/8speed chains. The gearboxes are Shimano's
Nexus 8 speed hub gears, zero deraileurs, just a control cable,
mechanical in one case, electronic in the other. There are a lot of
pics of one of the electronically controlled bikes here:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE Trek Navigator L700 Smover.html
and a pic of the mechanically controlled bike here:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE Bauhaus.html
Enjoy!

I wish now I'd taken a photo of the little balls of wax inside the
crankcase at the end of six months of winter riding, which show either
that White Lightning dry wax is bleeding marvellous or that we should
immediately petition the President to make full chain cases compulsory
for all bikes (to save rising water, high quality oil and energy).

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE HUMOUR.html

On May 16, 10:34 am, Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:

> How well did you fellows with the Connex breakages look after your
> chains?

In my case, the bike was only 2 months old, and had 300-400 miles on
it. I didn't have fenders on it at the time, so I'm pretty sure it had
never been ridden in the rain (I had my fendered touring bike for rain
days). I was in a 34-17 gear, starting from a dead stop, IIRC.

Lou Holtman wrote:

> Wipperman Connex links are fine. Never had any problems with them and
> I'm using them for almost 10 years on my road bikes. They are easier to
> open then the SRAM links and are better made IMO. Only downside? They
> are more expensive when you buy them separately.
>
> Lou

I've just thrown away a Connex link as the pin wasn't riveted square
with the outer plate. If used I can imagine it would have been the weak
link. Other than that my experiences with them are fine. They don't open
as easily as SRAM links when flopping about in a carboot (only of a
concern if you clean your chain ;)). Look for the shifting chamfer on
the linkplates to install them the right way up
--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

M-gineering wrote:
> Lou Holtman wrote:
>

>> Wipperman Connex links are fine. Never had any problems with them and
>> I'm using them for almost 10 years on my road bikes. They are easier
>> to open then the SRAM links and are better made IMO. Only downside?
>> They are more expensive when you buy them separately.
>>
>> Lou

> I've just thrown away a Connex link as the pin wasn't riveted square
> with the outer plate. If used I can imagine it would have been the weak
> link. Other than that my experiences with them are fine. They don't open
> as easily as SRAM links when flopping about in a carboot (only of a
> concern if you clean your chain ;)). Look for the shifting chamfer on
> the linkplates to install them the right way up

My experience with the SRAM goldlinks lately are that I have to fiddle
with them for 15 minutes before installing to remove the sharp edges of
the slots, which makes opening a big PIA.

Lou

On May 16, 7:56 am, Bob Ross <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
> disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
> there any downside to these gizmos?
>
> I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone
> at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine
> that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more
> concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain
> or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might
> be viewed as a negative.
>
> Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

Not in my opinion. We have sold hundreds with no problems whatsoever.
We use the 6mm one on just about every 10s chain we sell(Campagnolo
and shimano),

On May 16, 6:56 am, Bob Ross <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
> disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
> there any downside to these gizmos?
>
> I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone
> at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine
> that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more
> concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain
> or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might
> be viewed as a negative.
>
> Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

I'm guessing the SRAM link can cause excessive wear on the two
adjacent links.

I've used the SRAM links on my 9-speed chains for 7 - 8 years now.
Never had one break.

I check for "chain stretch" with one of those Park tools when a chain
starts to approach 3,500 miles of use and typically reach the .75 wear
point just shy of 4,000 miles but *only* if I span the tool across the
SRAM link. Every other part of the chain measures as being under this
wear limit. I sometimes get a few hundred more miles out the the
chain by replacing the old SRAM link with a new one, which brings the
chain back into spec across the SRAM link, but it pretty quickly goes
back to the .75 wear limit.

Since this out of spec condition exhibits itself only when the tool
spans the SRAM link it seems like the adjacent links have accelerated
wear.

Tom Young

On Fri, 16 May 2008 06:56:47 -0700 (PDT), Bob Ross <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
>disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
>there any downside to these gizmos?
>
>I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone
>at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine
>that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more
>concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain
>or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might
>be viewed as a negative.
>
>Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

Nobody has mentioned that the Connex is asymmetrical, while all of the
other links are symmetrical. The difference: the Connex will skip on
an 11 tooth cog if installed "upside down." For an impatient dyslexic
like myself, that's enough for me not to bother with it when the
others don't have this defect, are at least equally good and better if
the failure anecdotes in this thread are true, and cheaper. I use IRD
snaplink for 10 speed.

Not a racer, myself...but I have commuted over 5000 miles without a
problem using a Connex links using wipperman and Record chains

TomYoung wrote:
> On May 16, 6:56 am, Bob Ross <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
>> disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
>> there any downside to these gizmos?
>>
>> I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone
>> at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine
>> that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more
>> concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain
>> or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might
>> be viewed as a negative.
>>
>> Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

> I'm guessing the SRAM link can cause excessive wear on the two
> adjacent links.
>
> I've used the SRAM links on my 9-speed chains for 7 - 8 years now.
> Never had one break.
>
> I check for "chain stretch" with one of those Park tools when a chain
> starts to approach 3,500 miles of use and typically reach the .75 wear
> point just shy of 4,000 miles but *only* if I span the tool across the
> SRAM link. Every other part of the chain measures as being under this
> wear limit. I sometimes get a few hundred more miles out the the
> chain by replacing the old SRAM link with a new one, which brings the
> chain back into spec across the SRAM link, but it pretty quickly goes
> back to the .75 wear limit.
>
> Since this out of spec condition exhibits itself only when the tool
> spans the SRAM link it seems like the adjacent links have accelerated
> wear.
>
> Tom Young

I use the connex link on all our bikes including our tandem. No
problems since I began using them about 12,000 miles ago.

Wayne

TomYoung wrote:
> On May 16, 6:56 am, Bob Ross <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
>> disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
>> there any downside to these gizmos?
>>
>> I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone
>> at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine
>> that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more
>> concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain
>> or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might
>> be viewed as a negative.
>>
>> Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

> I'm guessing the SRAM link can cause excessive wear on the two
> adjacent links.
>
> I've used the SRAM links on my 9-speed chains for 7 - 8 years now.
> Never had one break.
>
> I check for "chain stretch" with one of those Park tools when a chain
> starts to approach 3,500 miles of use and typically reach the .75 wear
> point just shy of 4,000 miles but *only* if I span the tool across the
> SRAM link. Every other part of the chain measures as being under this
> wear limit. I sometimes get a few hundred more miles out the the
> chain by replacing the old SRAM link with a new one, which brings the
> chain back into spec across the SRAM link, but it pretty quickly goes
> back to the .75 wear limit.
>
> Since this out of spec condition exhibits itself only when the tool
> spans the SRAM link it seems like the adjacent links have accelerated
> wear.
>
> Tom Young

I noticed that the 10 speed superlinks I received approx 2 years ago
seemed to have pins that were a little undersized. I reckon if you put
your chain wear tool across a new quick-link on a new chain you would
see some apparent wear. I haven't measured the pin diameters with a
micrometer, but my impression is that the pins on the Wipperman Connex
links are a closer fit in the inner links and therefore would show less
apparent wear when new and also probably cause a little less wear to
chainrings & sprockets.

Martin

--
Removed z before replying by email.