Any early 40 year old riders...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Turbo Fahel, May 5, 2003.

  1. Turbo Fahel

    Turbo Fahel Guest

    Want to know what you do to keep fit. I lift weights 3x a week and cycle about 100-120km.

    I am 44 yrs old and started cycling over 18 months ago and looking at continual improvement.

    I recently joined a cycling club and realised how unfit I am compared to the regular riders.

    Any advise would be welcome.
    --
    Regards, Turbo Fahel __o -\<, ( ) / ( )

    ---

    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
    the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
    http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

    Tags:

  2. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Turbo Fahel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Want to know what you do to keep fit. I lift weights 3x a week and cycle about 100-120km.
    >
    > I am 44 yrs old and started cycling over 18 months ago and looking at continual improvement.
    >
    > I recently joined a cycling club and realised how unfit I am compared to the regular riders.

    Club rides aren't necessarily the best test of fitness, there are some tricks involved. If your club
    rides are typical, they are somewhat disorganized pace lines. In these conditions, it's all about
    being able to hang on to the pack so you can draft. To hang on, you have to be able to stay with the
    group during sprints and climbs. Most newbies stay (sensibly) at the back of the group, which is the
    toughest position to hang on in. As a result, savvy riders, who know all the right moves, look
    fitter than they actually are, so the gap between your fitness and the group average might not be as
    large as it appears. If you want to get better at group/club riding, just do as much of it as you
    can, and don't be discouraged, as improvement takes time.

    If your club rides aren't pace line affairs, but just long-ish "social" rides, then it's just about
    putting in the miles. Many club riders are commuters, and ride much more than you do.

  3. Turbo...

    Great name for a cyclist ;-)

    The word "fit" is ambiguous. It sounds like you already get a fair amount of exercise. You don't
    mention whether you're overweight, or what your goals are when it comes to bicycling.

    Do you want to ride faster? Have more endurance? Climb better? Sprint better? All of these are
    specific objectives, and there are ways to train to improve each one.

    If you're interested in racing you'll need to apply whichever form of training you need most to a
    greater degree. If you're just interested in keeping up on club rides, you can focus on just the
    specific skill(s) you need to improve.

    A lot has been written about the kinds of training that support each of these specific goals. There
    are performance oriented bicycling books that describe them in detail, and Bicycling Magazine
    (www.bicycling.com) has articles on how to target specific areas for improvement every month. The
    Carmichael Training Systems approach has been getting a lot of press from them lately, thanks to
    you-know-who.

    In general you can improve your performance a number of ways, and certainly riding more would help.
    Do you push yourself at least a couple of times a week to do better than before, or do you put in
    about the same effort? This makes a big difference. Serious riders track their performance on every
    ride, and use tools like computers with cadence and heart rate monitors.

    If your goal is to ride faster and have greater endurance, you could cut back on some of the weight
    training and focus on longer rides over varying terrain. When you're with the bike club, it may help
    to ask more experienced riders if they think your bike is adjusted properly for you, and whether
    upgrading any of your equipment would make an improvement.

    I'm almost the same age as you are, and some professional racers are still going at it into their
    early forties. You may not be elbow to elbow with the fastest twenty-somethings, but they may not be
    members of your club ;-)

    Enjoy.

    -dreq

    Turbo Fahel wrote:
    > Want to know what you do to keep fit. I lift weights 3x a week and cycle about 100-120km.
    >
    > I am 44 yrs old and started cycling over 18 months ago and looking at continual improvement.
    >
    > I recently joined a cycling club and realised how unfit I am compared to the regular riders.
    >
    > Any advise would be welcome.
    > --
    > Regards, Turbo Fahel __o -\<, ( ) / ( )
    >

    > ---

    > rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or
    > contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
    > http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

  4. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Turbo Fahel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Want to know what you do to keep fit. I lift weights 3x a week and cycle about 100-120km.
    >
    > I am 44 yrs old and started cycling over 18 months ago and looking at continual improvement.
    >
    > I recently joined a cycling club and realised how unfit I am compared to
    the
    > regular riders.

    You just answered your own question. Become a 'regular' rider! The more you ride the better you get.

    Mike - 42

    --
    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
    the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
    http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

  5. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > You just answered your own question. Become a 'regular' rider! The more you ride the better
    > you get.
    >
    > Mike - 42

    Life, the universe. Everything.

    --
    Dave...

    --
    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
    the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
    http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

  6. Keith

    Keith Guest

    "Michael Dart" wrote ......
    > "Turbo Fahel" wrote ....

    > > Want to know what you do to keep fit. I lift weights 3x a week and cycle about 100-120km.
    > >
    > > I am 44 yrs old and started cycling over 18 months ago and looking at continual improvement.

    > You just answered your own question. Become a 'regular' rider! The more you ride the better
    > you get.

    This is correct up to a point. Remember, however, that the human body evolved over millions of years
    for survival success using a highly varied and intense activity profile. This contrasts markedly
    with the routine, regular 'industrial drudgery' of distance cycling. We are, in 2003, Pleistocene
    bodies in a post-Pleistocene world. You will have noticed the many older distance runners who've
    been training for years and are now being struck down with cancers. I won't bore you here with
    details. Nor do I want to turn anyone off cycling; I'm as keen as you are. Just put your cycling,
    sleep, diet, stretching and supplementary training firmly in its evolutionary context. (See my
    website: www.evfit.com)

    Keith (54)

    --
    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
    the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
    http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

  7. Hawke

    Hawke Guest

    "Keith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Michael Dart" wrote ......
    > > "Turbo Fahel" wrote ....
    >
    > > > Want to know what you do to keep fit. I lift weights 3x a week and
    cycle
    > > > about 100-120km.
    > > >
    > > > I am 44 yrs old and started cycling over 18 months ago and looking at continual improvement.
    >
    > > You just answered your own question. Become a 'regular' rider! The
    more
    > > you ride the better you get.
    > >

    > This is correct up to a point. Remember, however, that the human body evolved over millions of
    > years for survival success using a highly varied and intense activity profile. This contrasts
    > markedly with the routine, regular 'industrial drudgery' of distance cycling. We are, in 2003,
    > Pleistocene bodies in a post-Pleistocene world. You will have noticed the many older distance
    > runners who've been training for years and are now being struck down with cancers. I won't bore
    > you here with details. Nor do I want to turn anyone off cycling; I'm as keen as you are. Just put
    > your cycling, sleep, diet, stretching and supplementary training firmly in its evolutionary
    > context. (See my website: www.evfit.com)
    >
    > Keith (54)

    What are your qualifications in offering this bullshit other than your desire to make money by
    spamming this newsgroup?

    Hawke

    --
    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
    the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
    http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

  8. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >This contrasts markedly with the routine, regular 'industrial drudgery' of distance cycling. We
    >are, in 2003, Pleistocene bodies in a post-Pleistocene world.

    I guess nobody'll ever know, but my image of male life in the Pleistocene has a lot of distance
    running in it. Sneak up on somethin like a wooley mammoth, stick a spear up it's tender parts, run
    like hell, then jog for 3-4 hours following at a safe distance until it finally bleeds to death....
    PeteCresswell