any electric bicycles on the market with good RANGE ?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by misterfact, Apr 14, 2004.

  1. misterfact

    misterfact Guest

    If so-what kind of batteries do they have? (I suppose you could carry
    an extra charged battery pack)

    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    [email protected] (misterfact) wrote:

    > If so-what kind of batteries do they have? (I suppose you could carry
    > an extra charged battery pack)

    If you want maximum range per pound of batteries, NiMH cells are best,
    but they are pretty expensive. Most electric-assist bikes using NiMh
    batteries do so in order to reduce weight, rather than to extend
    range.

    Giant LA Free Lite bikes use a battery cartridge similar to that of a
    cordless power tool, but larger. It weighs 9 pounds, so you could
    conceivably carry some more along. At 250W, that bike has lower
    consumption than most, and it features a range-extending economy mode
    in its power management system:

    http://www.electricbikes.bigstep.com/main/lite.htm

    Lead-acid cells still offer the best range per dollar cost of
    batteries, but at the expense of pack weight. Trying to extend the
    range of a lead-acid powered elecric-assist bike could result in a
    craft with bicycle-type power pushing a motorcycle's weight.

    Some lead-acid cells (e.g. Hawker) and some NiCd cells can be charged
    at incredible rates, like 15 minutes from depleted to full capacity.
    That battery characteristic, and a willingness to tote the requisite
    charger, could allow extended range if there were places to plug in
    along your route. Electricmoto use this design feature for their
    battery-powered motocrosser:

    http://www.electricmoto.com/blade.htm

    I have heard of some EV folks experimenting with lithium ion
    batteries, but I know of no applicable commercial product. If one
    were to come available, it could raise maximum range beyond what's
    available otherwise, but still not into the all-day ride range.

    It appears that electric-assist bicycles with cross-country range will
    have to wait for affordable, compact fuel cells, or else a much better
    battery than is now available.

    Chalo Colina

  3. Ralph

    Ralph Guest

    Well, we've got LAFree Lites which while heavier than most road bikes are
    pretty decent bikes without the power on. It seems to me that the goal is to
    use the power only on hills and just pedal the rest of the time. Once I get
    my cadence up I think an 8 speed hub would be a good thing, the 4 speed is a
    bit limited on the top end.

    "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] (misterfact) wrote:
    >
    > > If so-what kind of batteries do they have? (I suppose you could carry
    > > an extra charged battery pack)

    > If you want maximum range per pound of batteries, NiMH cells are best,
    > but they are pretty expensive. Most electric-assist bikes using NiMh
    > batteries do so in order to reduce weight, rather than to extend
    > range.
    >
    > Giant LA Free Lite bikes use a battery cartridge similar to that of a
    > cordless power tool, but larger. It weighs 9 pounds, so you could
    > conceivably carry some more along. At 250W, that bike has lower
    > consumption than most, and it features a range-extending economy mode
    > in its power management system:
    >
    > http://www.electricbikes.bigstep.com/main/lite.htm
    >
    > Lead-acid cells still offer the best range per dollar cost of
    > batteries, but at the expense of pack weight. Trying to extend the
    > range of a lead-acid powered elecric-assist bike could result in a
    > craft with bicycle-type power pushing a motorcycle's weight.
    >
    > Some lead-acid cells (e.g. Hawker) and some NiCd cells can be charged
    > at incredible rates, like 15 minutes from depleted to full capacity.
    > That battery characteristic, and a willingness to tote the requisite
    > charger, could allow extended range if there were places to plug in
    > along your route. Electricmoto use this design feature for their
    > battery-powered motocrosser:
    >
    > http://www.electricmoto.com/blade.htm
    >
    > I have heard of some EV folks experimenting with lithium ion
    > batteries, but I know of no applicable commercial product. If one
    > were to come available, it could raise maximum range beyond what's
    > available otherwise, but still not into the all-day ride range.
    >
    > It appears that electric-assist bicycles with cross-country range will
    > have to wait for affordable, compact fuel cells, or else a much better
    > battery than is now available.
    >
    > Chalo Colina

  4. cheg

    cheg Guest

    "Ralph" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote
    > >
    > > Giant LA Free Lite bikes use a battery cartridge similar to that of a
    > > cordless power tool, but larger. It weighs 9 pounds, so you could
    > > conceivably carry some more along. At 250W, that bike has lower
    > > consumption than most, and it features a range-extending economy mode
    > > in its power management system:
    > >
    > > http://www.electricbikes.bigstep.com/main/lite.htm

    > Well, we've got LAFree Lites which while heavier than most road bikes are
    > pretty decent bikes without the power on. It seems to me that the goal is to
    > use the power only on hills and just pedal the rest of the time. Once I get
    > my cadence up I think an 8 speed hub would be a good thing, the 4 speed is a
    > bit limited on the top end.

    You can improve the top-end on the Nexus 4 speed by simply changing the
    sprocket, if you don't mind working a bit harder at the low end. I think the
    standard sprocket on the LAFree Lite is a 20, but you can use an 18 or a 16. The
    range of the LAFree Lite is about 20 miles on continuous low power in moderately
    hilly conditions, but of course YMMV. At some point, the faster you go the less
    power you use because the power rolls off at about 18 MPH. At 48 lbs. it's not
    light, but it is a really nice well made bike (for the non-purist). Sometimes
    you want to ride but don't want to bust your ass on the hills. It's also great
    for someone getting used to riding in traffic.

  5. Define "good."

    I think that for many people, a range of 10 miles is good, since it's good
    enough to get to work, where you can charge it for the return home.

    Look at the Dahon Roo EL, as well as the Giant being mentioned.
    http://dahon.com/rooel.htm. The Roo may be more suitable for people that
    have limitations on full size bikes in their workplace.

    news:[email protected]