Any experience re Quetzal Paraiso Exotico Recumbent?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Ron, Jun 8, 2003.

  1. Ron

    Ron Guest

    I have been considering a bent for about a year now but a recent neck operation has moved my plans
    forward. If I want to ride any more this year, it will have to be on a bent. I put 5000 km on my
    regular DF last year so I'm eager to get back to the roads. My problem is there is virtually only
    one shop within 150 - 200 km which carries any bents whatsoever! The brand carried is Quetzal Cycles
    made in the province of Quebec -- the best of the line is the Paraiso Exotico (USS, aluminum frame,
    120 gears, LWB). I plan to test ride it this coming week.

    My question: I know this is not a standard brand like RANS or Easy Rider but does anyone have any
    experience with this machine? Any recommendations? Anyone riding one? While I am eager to get back
    cycling, I want something I'll be happy with on long day tours.

    Any comments would be much appreciated.

    Thanks, Ron

    URL for this model: http://www.quetzal.ca/paraiso-en.html

    Tags:

  2. 120 speeds = 3 X 8 X 5, had it been a 27 speed you'd get a max of 135 speeds. Only negative thing I
    ever heard about the bent is that the seat tends to suddenly Deflate in hot weather riding and the
    bent despite being Aluminium is still on the heavy side...probably in part due to all the extra not
    needed gears. I used to ride a (silver colored) Peugeot 105 speed LWB 3 X 7 X 5 and it was
    fine...but a tad heavy. The Exotico is an updated Peugeot 105. Odd thing about the Exotico is the
    price is quite low for what you get, when compared to just about every big name LWB out there, yet
    the Exotico never caught on in a big way.
    -------------------------------
    "ron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have been considering a bent for about a year now but a recent neck operation has moved my plans
    > forward. If I want to ride any more this
    year,
    > it will have to be on a bent. I put 5000 km on my regular DF last year so I'm eager to get back to
    > the roads. My problem is there is virtually only one shop within 150 - 200 km which carries any
    > bents whatsoever! The
    brand
    > carried is Quetzal Cycles made in the province of Quebec -- the best of
    the
    > line is the Paraiso Exotico (USS, aluminum frame, 120 gears, LWB). I plan to test ride it this
    > coming week.
    >
    > My question: I know this is not a standard brand like RANS or Easy Rider but does anyone have any
    > experience with this machine? Any
    recommendations?
    > Anyone riding one? While I am eager to get back cycling, I want something I'll be happy with
    on
    > long day tours.
    >
    > Any comments would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Ron
    >
    > URL for this model: http://www.quetzal.ca/paraiso-en.html

  3. Garyralph

    Garyralph Guest

    I recently made the switch for similar reasons. I've found the wealth of information in this forum
    to be quite helpful, but no substitute for actually having an opportunity to ride a number of
    different bikes. Even if you have to travel a few hours to find a dealer who can allow you to demo a
    couple of bikes, it will be worth it to you in the long run. I was able to have rides of 45 minutes
    or more to find a few that didn't grab me, one that strained my calves, and two that were just
    right. As a starting point, I also found it helpful to avail myself of the consulting service
    offered by Bob Bryant, publisher of Recumbent Cyclist News ( www.recumbentcyclistnews.com ). Bob is
    a great guy. The service also includes a subscription to his journal, and a few back issues. Good
    deal. Have fun, and best of luck in your recovery.

    Gary "ron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have been considering a bent for about a year now but a recent neck operation has moved my plans
    > forward. If I want to ride any more this
    year,
    > it will have to be on a bent. I put 5000 km on my regular DF last year so I'm eager to get back to
    > the roads. My problem is there is virtually only one shop within 150 - 200 km which carries any
    > bents whatsoever! The
    brand
    > carried is Quetzal Cycles made in the province of Quebec -- the best of
    the
    > line is the Paraiso Exotico (USS, aluminum frame, 120 gears, LWB). I plan to test ride it this
    > coming week.
    >
    > My question: I know this is not a standard brand like RANS or Easy Rider but does anyone have any
    > experience with this machine? Any
    recommendations?
    > Anyone riding one? While I am eager to get back cycling, I want something I'll be happy with
    on
    > long day tours.
    >
    > Any comments would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Ron
    >
    > URL for this model: http://www.quetzal.ca/paraiso-en.html

  4. Marci Taylor

    Marci Taylor Guest

    "garyralph" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I recently made the switch for similar reasons. I've found the wealth of information in this forum
    > to be quite helpful, but no substitute for actually having an opportunity to ride a number of
    > different bikes. Even if you have to travel a few hours to find a dealer who can allow you to demo
    > a couple of bikes, it will be worth it to you in the long run. I was able to have rides of 45
    > minutes or more to find a few that didn't grab me, one that strained my calves, and two that were
    > just right. As a starting point, I also found it helpful to avail myself of the consulting service
    > offered by Bob Bryant, publisher of Recumbent Cyclist News ( www.recumbentcyclistnews.com ). Bob
    > is a great guy. The service also includes a subscription to his journal, and a few back issues.
    > Good deal. Have fun, and best of luck in your recovery.
    >
    > Gary "ron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I have been considering a bent for about a year now but a recent neck operation has moved my
    > > plans forward. If I want to ride any more this
    > year,
    > > it will have to be on a bent. I put 5000 km on my regular DF last year so I'm eager to get back
    > > to the roads. My problem is there is virtually only one shop within 150 - 200 km which carries
    > > any bents whatsoever! The
    > brand
    > > carried is Quetzal Cycles made in the province of Quebec -- the best of
    > the
    > > line is the Paraiso Exotico (USS, aluminum frame, 120 gears, LWB). I plan to test ride it this
    > > coming week.
    > >
    > > My question: I know this is not a standard brand like RANS or Easy Rider but does anyone have
    > > any experience with this machine? Any
    > recommendations?
    > > Anyone riding one? While I am eager to get back cycling, I want something I'll be happy with
    > on
    > > long day tours.
    > >
    > > Any comments would be much appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Ron
    > >
    > > URL for this model: http://www.quetzal.ca/paraiso-en.html

    Not to be negative...but I read a review about the Quetzel in one of RCN's previous issues and the
    bike really didn't perform well, wasn't comfortable to ride, and was very heavy. I think Bob Bryant
    said that the company even abandoned the bike. My advice to you is to stick with Rans, easy racers,
    or some of the other known brands. You can get a Rans tailwind, stratus, V2 or other off ebay
    relatively inexpensive. I have owned and ridden over 29 different bents and I have found that the
    major bent manufacturers really do produce consistently good overall bikes. Rans seats are great,
    and the performance of their bikes is good. Vision is also one of my favorites, although this is not
    as common of a favorite as some at least on this newsgroup. I think as a new recumbent rider you
    would be wise to steer clear of the Quetzels. Marci

  5. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    If you are asking about the Quetzal because you are in Canada, I think you should also take a look
    at the Maxarya:

    http://www.maxarya.com/

    They are located in Toronto.

    John Riley

  6. Ron

    Ron Guest

    Yes, I am in Canada -- eastern Ontario. I agree with you on the Maxarya. I was in Toronto in March
    but unfortunately could not make it to the one dealer that sells them in Toronto - aside from the
    fact there was still 2 ft of snow on the ground! A shop in Montreal also carries them according to
    the marketing person I contacted at Maxarya . The Ray 1x seems like a very interesting bike. I agree
    with the earlier post about trying as many bikes as possible so plan to travel to Montreal and
    Toronto this month if possible to check the stock.

    Thanks for the suggestion, Ron

    news:[email protected]...

  7. ron wrote:

    > Yes, I am in Canada -- eastern Ontario. I agree with you on the Maxarya. I was in Toronto in March
    > but unfortunately could not make it to the one dealer that sells them in Toronto - aside from the
    > fact there was still 2 ft of snow on the ground! A shop in Montreal also carries them according to
    > the marketing person I contacted at Maxarya . The Ray 1x seems like a very interesting bike. I
    > agree with the earlier post about trying as many bikes as possible so plan to travel to Montreal
    > and Toronto this month if possible to check the stock.
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion, Ron
    >
    > "john riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > If you are asking about the Quetzal because you are in Canada, I think you should also take a
    > > look at the Maxarya:
    > >
    > > http://www.maxarya.com/
    > >
    > > They are located in Toronto.
    > >
    > > John Riley
    Hello,

    I have test rode the Paraiso last year and found it to be Ok. I owned a Bike E CT at the time and
    found the Quetzals to be faster bikes. I have since given my Bike E to my wife and bought the
    Quetzal Misterio. It was half the price of the Paraiso and is fully suspended. The difference in the
    number of gears is negligible, 120 versus 105. The Quetzals are OK for recreational riding but not
    for racing. You should expect an average cruising speed of about 20 to 25 KM/Hr.

    Regards,

    R. Poirier Quetzal Misterio 2003

  8. Ron

    Ron Guest

    Richard, I looked at the Misterio briefly but have decided not to bother trying it mainly because of
    the heavier weight (45 lb vs 33 lb, according to an email from Quetzal). With that weight (which
    seems quite high), I am not surprized at your touring speed -- hopefully the Paraiso Exotico will be
    faster -- I like to cruise in the low 30s if possible. While there are things about the design of
    the Paraiso Exotico that I do not like, I have decided to really give it a chance. A LBS has one for
    rent by the day which plan to do Monday. I think I will also visit Montreal and/or Toronto shops to
    try other options before making a decision on the Paraiso Exotico. Thanks, Ron

    news:[email protected]...