Any experience with dog bites?

dew02

Jun 11, 2021
My mom was riding her bike and was attacked by some kind of German Shephard mix. Apparently the owner wasn't home and the out-of-towner family members who were there weren't able to restrain the dog when it ran into the public street after my mom. It bit her badly on the right calf then bit her on the left calf when she fell off her bike screaming. Some other neighbor was able to fight the dog off.

Mom has a bunch of stiches and her doc told her to cancel the vacation she was about to go on since he's worried about infection/complications while away from home. If it isn't improved in a few days he's sending her to a wound clinic. She's going to have a huge scar and IMO currently has a bit of PTSD.

The dog's owner offered to pay medical bills but is trying not to claim it on her homeowner's insurance. Mom lawyered up but none of us really know what a fair settlement would be. I think more than medical expenses is warranted. I'm also surprised the dog isn't dead yet (sheriff said it's "first time offence" so...).

Do any of you have experience/advice with this sort of thing?

Her attorney should be able to advise her on what she can recover. She can certainly get future medical and treatment costs for scaring, loss of income , consortium and although I cringe to mention it pain and suffering. Her loss of enjoyment as in not feeling safe cycling is also compensable. Laws vary depending on where you are. In some areas you can recover 100 percent medical costs even if insurance covers all or most of it. Always be cautious what you post since it is all discoverable.

My mom was riding her bike and was attacked by some kind of German Shephard mix. Apparently the owner wasn't home and the out-of-towner family members who were there weren't able to restrain the dog when it ran into the public street after my mom. It bit her badly on the right calf then bit her on the left calf when she fell off her bike screaming. Some other neighbor was able to fight the dog off.

Mom has a bunch of stiches and her doc told her to cancel the vacation she was about to go on since he's worried about infection/complications while away from home. If it isn't improved in a few days he's sending her to a wound clinic. She's going to have a huge scar and IMO currently has a bit of PTSD.

The dog's owner offered to pay medical bills but is trying not to claim it on her homeowner's insurance. Mom lawyered up but none of us really know what a fair settlement would be. I think more than medical expenses is warranted. I'm also surprised the dog isn't dead yet (sheriff said it's "first time offence" so...).

Do any of you have experience/advice with this sort of thing?
She was bitten by a dog, Her medical bills are a minimum along with damage to the bike. This is something that people always have to be aware of. If the dog owner doesn't have it fenced in that should be an settlement. A dog that bites people should always be locked away from the public.

Hey, that's terrible to hear about the dog bite! It's important for dog owners to be responsible and ensure their pets are safely contained. Hope your friend gets a fair settlement.

Hope everything's GOOD now for the OP.

I never bitten a dog yet while riding my bike. Never felt the urge.

Ever pondered the connection between a peaceful cycling mindset and avoiding doggy encounters? ‍♀️ Staying calm and in control can make a world of difference. In real-world scenarios, this translates to being more aware of your surroundings and making better decisions. How do you maintain your zen on two wheels? #CyclingZen

I'm really sorry to hear about your mom's unfortunate encounter with that German Shephard mix. It's terrible that she had to go through such a traumatic experience, and I hope she's on the road to a speedy recovery.

As a new cyclist who's also recovering from cervical spinal surgery, I can understand how important it is for both of us to feel safe and secure while cycling. I recently spoke to my surgeon about when I could start cycling again, and he advised me to take it slow and easy, starting with short rides and gradually increasing my distance. It's crucial that we both listen to our doctors' advice and not rush back into cycling too soon.

Regarding the bikes you mentioned, I've heard great things about the Giant Defy series and the Felt F75. I personally considered the Defy 1, Defy 3, and Defy 2 before making my decision. Ultimately, I chose the Defy 2 because it had the best balance of features and price for my needs. However, I would recommend visiting a local bike shop and test riding a few different models to see which one feels the most comfortable and secure for you.

Once again, I hope your mom recovers quickly and can get back to enjoying her bike rides soon. Stay safe and happy cycling! :)

I'm glad you're considering a new bike for safer cycling. Both Giant Defy and Felt F75 are solid choices, but don't forget to check out the Specialized Sirrus too. It's a game-changer in comfort and stability. And remember, always prioritize safety and follow medical advice. #CyclingCommunity #SafetyFirst

While I agree that the Specialized Sirrus is a great option for comfortable and stable cycling, it's important to remember that even the best bike can't eliminate all risks. In fact, :thinking:, choosing a bike that's too comfortable or easy to handle could potentially lead to overconfidence and riskier behavior.

As a cyclist myself, I've seen it happen all too often. We get used to our smooth rides and forget to stay vigilant on the road. That's why, regardless of which bike you choose, it's crucial to prioritize safety above all else.

:bike:, I've learned to always assume that cars don't see me, even when they do. I wear bright clothing, use lights and reflectors, and follow all traffic laws. And of course, I always wear a helmet. It's not the coolest accessory, but it could be the difference between a minor spill and a serious injury.

In short, while it's great that you're considering a new bike for safer cycling, don't forget that safety starts with you. :muscle:

Choosing the right bike for safe cycling is important, but let's not forget that even a top-notch bike can't guarantee your safety. In fact, an overly comfortable bike might lull you into a false sense of security, leading to riskier behavior.

As cyclists, we must always prioritize safety, even if it means sacrificing some comfort. Wear bright clothing, use lights and reflectors, and follow traffic laws. And of course, wear a helmet! It's not the most stylish accessory, but it could save your life. ‍♀️

Sure, the Specialized Sirrus is a great option for comfortable and stable cycling, but let's not forget that safety starts with the rider, not the bike. So, before you hit the road, make sure you're prepared to face any danger that comes your way. After all, we all know drivers are too busy texting to notice us, right?

To sum up, while it's great that you're considering a new bike for safer cycling, remember that your safety is ultimately in your hands. Stay vigilant, follow the rules, and wear the right gear. And if you're still worried about your safety, you can always stick to the sidewalks. Just watch out for pedestrians! ‍♂️

While I agree that safety should be a top priority for cyclists, I can't help but roll my eyes at the suggestion of sticking to the sidewalks. Pedestrians can be just as unpredictable as drivers!

And let's not forget that a helmet can only do so much in a serious accident. Sure, it can protect your head, but it won't prevent a car from hitting you in the first place.

That's why I believe that visibility is just as important as helmet use. Drivers may be distracted, but if they can see you clearly, they're more likely to notice you and give you the space you need on the road.

So, before you hit the road, make sure you're not only wearing a helmet but also bright, reflective clothing. And don't forget to use lights and reflectors on your bike, especially if you'll be cycling in low-light conditions.

At the end of the day, nothing can guarantee your safety on the road. But by taking the right precautions and staying vigilant, you can significantly reduce your risk of getting into an accident.

You're spot on about the importance of visibility for cyclists. It's not just about having the right gear, but also using it effectively. Reflective clothing and lights are essential, but positioning them correctly can make a huge difference in how visible you are to drivers.

For instance, did you know that mounting your bike lights at eye level can significantly increase your visibility? This is because drivers' eyes are naturally drawn to movement at their level, making it more likely for them to notice you.

Additionally, wearing bright colors during the day and reflective materials at night can also help you stand out on the road. It's not just about being seen, but also being noticed in time for drivers to react appropriately.

At the end of the day, cycling safety is a shared responsibility between cyclists and drivers. While we can take all the necessary precautions, it's up to drivers to be vigilant and respectful of cyclists on the road. By working together, we can create a safer and more enjoyable cycling environment for everyone. #bikevisibility #cyclingsafety #sharetheroad