any experience with Habanero?

Gareth Beale

Guest
I'm hoping to squirrel away enough to build up a new bike this year, for century-plus type rides. I
am interested in the Habaneros, especially since they have an option to custom build. However I
emailed them (via their web page) for some info and got no reply at all. This doesn't give me a good
feeling, but I'd like to hear about other's experience with this company, especially with regard to
custom ordering.

Thanks,

Gareth Beale

"Gareth Beale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm hoping to squirrel away enough to build up a new bike this year, for
century-plus
> type rides. I am interested in the Habaneros, especially since they have
an option to
> custom build. However I emailed them (via their web page) for some info
and got no
> reply at all. This doesn't give me a good feeling, but I'd like to hear
about other's
> experience with this company, especially with regard to custom ordering.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gareth Beale

They've been away on holiday vacation. Try them again, or pick up the phone and call.

You could go straight to the manufacturer... if you're the daring type.

http://www.xacd.com.cn/default1.htm

Actually, I don't know if Habaneros gets their bikes from these guys or not, but their bikes are
made in China. Several posters on r.b.t. have order from them and have had nothing but good things
to say. I emailed them and the price for a road frame is $420 delivered. Custom is available. I just
might try it this spring.

"Gareth Beale" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm hoping to squirrel away enough to build up a new bike this year, for
century-plus
> type rides. I am interested in the Habaneros, especially since they have
an option to
> custom build. However I emailed them (via their web page) for some info
and got no
> reply at all. This doesn't give me a good feeling, but I'd like to hear
about other's
> experience with this company, especially with regard to custom ordering.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gareth Beale

"Bestest Handsander" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You could go straight to the manufacturer... if you're the daring type.
>
> http://www.xacd.com.cn/default1.htm
>
> Actually, I don't know if Habaneros gets their bikes from these guys or
not,
> but their bikes are made in China. Several posters on r.b.t. have order from them and have had
> nothing but good things to say. I emailed them and the price for a road frame is $420 delivered.
> Custom is available. I
just
> might try it this spring.

According to Mark Hickey from Habenero, they don't get their frames from Changda.

To me, the obvious question about buying a frame from a vendor that is so far away and apparently
has no representation outside of their country, is what happens if there is something, anything,
wrong? Defect? Not made correctly? I think the same question could be asked of any item, made far
away from the purchaser and no easy method of dispute resolution. Is price *that* important that one
could possibly throw money away?

>To me, the obvious question about buying a frame from a vendor that is so far away and apparently
>has no representation outside of their country, is what happens if there is something, anything,
>wrong? Defect? Not made correctly? I think the same question could be asked of any item, made far
>away from the purchaser and no easy method of dispute resolution. Is price *that* important that
>one could possibly throw money away?

I would expect that he won't charge you until the frame is as you requested. When you buy a Habanero
you are doing a deal with Habanero, not directly with the factory that makes the frames. So if
anything comes up, you take it up with Habanero, not the factory. Habanero will be repsonsible with
dealing with the factory. Habanero has an excellent reputation, so I doubt you would be throwing
money away.
--------------
Alex

"Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >To me, the obvious question about buying a frame from a vendor that is so far away and apparently
> >has no representation outside of their country,
is
> >what happens if there is something, anything, wrong? Defect? Not made correctly? I think the same
> >question could be asked of any item, made far away from the purchaser and no easy method of
> >dispute resolution. Is
price
> >*that* important that one could possibly throw money away?
>
> I would expect that he won't charge you until the frame is as you
requested.
> When you buy a Habanero you are doing a deal with Habanero, not directly
with
> the factory that makes the frames. So if anything comes up, you take it up with Habanero, not the
> factory. Habanero will be repsonsible with
dealing
> with the factory. Habanero has an excellent reputation, so I doubt you
would
> be throwing money away.
> --------------
> Alex

I wasn't referring to Habanero, I've heard they take very good care of their customers. I was
referrring to the purchase of the Changda frame directly from the factory, as the other poster
suggested. From what I understand, Habanero has nothing to do with Changda.

"Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >To me, the obvious question about buying a frame from a vendor that is so far away and apparently
> >has no representation outside of their country,
is
> >what happens if there is something, anything, wrong? Defect? Not made correctly? I think the same
> >question could be asked of any item, made far away from the purchaser and no easy method of
> >dispute resolution. Is
price
> >*that* important that one could possibly throw money away?
>
> I would expect that he won't charge you until the frame is as you
requested.
> When you buy a Habanero you are doing a deal with Habanero, not directly
with
> the factory that makes the frames. So if anything comes up, you take it up with Habanero, not the
> factory. Habanero will be repsonsible with
dealing
> with the factory. Habanero has an excellent reputation, so I doubt you
would
> be throwing money away.
> --------------
> Alex

From what I've seen/heard on this site,Mark is a stand up act and you could
do far worse.

[email protected] (Gareth Beale) writes:

> I'm hoping to squirrel away enough to build up a new bike this year, for century-plus type rides.
> I am interested in the Habaneros, especially since they have an option to custom build. However I
> emailed them (via their web page) for some info and got no reply at all. This doesn't give me a
> good feeling, but I'd like to hear about other's experience with this company, especially with
> regard to custom ordering.

Gareth- the single fastest way for you to find this out is to go to Google, click on "Groups" and
navigate your way to "rec.bicycles.*" and search on "Habanero customer satisfaction" or some such
phrase. You will find many posts answering your question.

I once sprayed myself in the face with a habanero concentrate. I couldn't open my eyes and had
difficulty breathing for 40 minutes during which time I stayed in a cold shower. If you are
interested in carrying it for self defense, you can buy it at: www.politesociety,com

"Gareth Beale" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm hoping to squirrel away enough to build up a new bike this year, for
century-plus
> type rides. I am interested in the Habaneros, especially since they have
an option to
> custom build. However I emailed them (via their web page) for some info
and got no
> reply at all. This doesn't give me a good feeling, but I'd like to hear
about other's
> experience with this company, especially with regard to custom ordering.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gareth Beale

Let me add a few points to this discussion:

1) Dave is correct. Changda does not supply Habanero. They supply Airborne.
2) Speaking from experience, Mark is excellent to do business with. As a domestic supplier, he
offers and excellent product for an excellent price. I know a couple Habby owners who are very
happy with their (mtb) bikes.
3) I own a custom-built Changda road frame with which I am extremely happy. And I paid only $520 for
it. If you want to see pictures, want to know any details about it, or have any questions about
the purchasing process, feel free to email me.

Jim

news:<[email protected]>...