Any experience with Mustang Tubeless??

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Rkfast, Apr 26, 2003.

  1. Rkfast

    Rkfast Guest

    The shop that build up my wheels used Bontrager Mustang TUBELESS rims instead of the standard
    Mustang rims I ordered. This MIGHT be a blessing, if I ever decide to go tubeless, but what Im
    concerned about now is strength. There isnt much in the review section in terms oh how the tubeless
    versions of the Mustang perform.

    Anybody have any experience?

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] (RkFast) wrote:

    The shop that build up my wheels used Bontrager Mustang TUBELESS rims instead of the standard
    Mustang rims I ordered. This MIGHT be a blessing, if I ever decide to go tubeless, but what Im
    concerned about now is strength. There isnt much in the review section in terms oh how the tubeless
    versions of the Mustang perform.

    Anybody have any experience?

    That almost sounds like you intend on mounting tubed tires onto your tubeless rims. I don't think
    you can do that.

    Can you?

  3. Chris Zacho The Wheelman wrote:

    > That almost sounds like you intend on mounting tubed tires onto your tubeless rims. I don't think
    > you can do that.
    >
    > Can you?

    Most UST rims can take a standard tire w/ tube. A standard tire's bead will fit, but you'll still
    need the tube. I carry a tube just in case I get a flat on my Crossmax XL's. All I have to do is
    unscrew the stem, install the tube, and continue to ride. I can patch the tire at home, under better
    conditions.

    Do a little research on your new rims, some tubeless tires and rims don't like tire levers. If
    you're always planning on using tubes, you're probably OK, but I'd check first.

    Barry

  4. I don't see where a tubless rim would be any less strong that a regular rim (ov the same general
    value) Assuming of course that it was built by a competent builder.

    The spokes, not the rim itself bear most of the load. This, of course, does not apply to disk or
    other aero rims. They have to be beefier to make up for the lack of spokes.