Any female cyclists out there?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by cityjen, Jul 6, 2004.

  1. cityjen

    cityjen Guest

    Hi all -

    As a relatively new cyclist, I recently joined this group and am finding it
    very useful. I'm based in London, and often ride with my 16-month-old
    daughter - she loves being on the back of the bike in the child's seat!.

    I'm having a great time cycling and as such, I am trying to get more women
    cyclists on the road - judging from my travels and conversations with other
    women, we seem to be in a bit of a minority. I'm hoping some of you might
    help me spread the word to ladies in and around London who might be
    interested in cycling but may not know how to get started, are convinced
    it's not safe, want to meet other female cyclists, etc..

    I just set up an informal e-group called Cycling Sisters (details, below).
    If you know someone who might be interested, please pass along the info.

    Also, if you've got any upcoming rides - for both genders - that start in
    and around London, please feel free to let me know and I'll help you spread
    the word. I'm at [email protected].

    ---
    Cycling Sisters is a place for women throughout greater London to discuss
    all aspects of two-wheeled transport in and around the capital city. Whether
    you're interested in cycling for fun, fitness, or transportation (or all
    three), join us. Here, you'll find out about upcoming cycle rides, learn
    about riding with or without kids, discuss all things cycle-related
    (including safety and maintenance), and meet other female cyclists - all
    within a friendly, atmosphere.

    Subscribe: [email protected]

    ---

    Cheers,

    Jennifer Pirtle

    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. "cityjen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    [snip]

    > I'm having a great time cycling and as such, I am trying to get

    more women
    > cyclists on the road - judging from my travels and conversations

    with other
    > women, we seem to be in a bit of a minority.

    [snip]

    From the figures I've seen only about one London bike commuter in six
    or seven is a women, which is a shame. I would guess the ratio is
    about the same for people who go off riding on weekends.

    I thnk there are others who like going off on women only rides,
    although I don't know details. I think there is even a bike shop
    owned by an all woman co-op. (In Notting Hill?)

    It might be an idea to phone the London Cycling Campaign's office
    (020-7928-7220) and see if you can get Rebecca Lack, editor of the
    "London Cyclist", their magazine, to give your group a plug. The
    people at the office also might know of others with similar interests
    to yours.

    Jeremy Parker

  3. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    Vaguely interested, but wondering just how far out the 'in and about
    london' covers?

    --

    Velvet

  4. Purple

    Purple Guest

    "cityjen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all -
    >
    > As a relatively new cyclist, I recently joined this group and am finding

    it
    > very useful. I'm based in London, and often ride with my 16-month-old
    > daughter - she loves being on the back of the bike in the child's seat!.
    >
    > I'm having a great time cycling and as such, I am trying to get more women
    > cyclists on the road - judging from my travels and conversations with

    other
    > women, we seem to be in a bit of a minority. I'm hoping some of you might
    > help me spread the word to ladies in and around London who might be
    > interested in cycling but may not know how to get started, are convinced
    > it's not safe, want to meet other female cyclists, etc..
    >
    > I just set up an informal e-group called Cycling Sisters (details, below).
    > If you know someone who might be interested, please pass along the info.
    >
    > Also, if you've got any upcoming rides - for both genders - that start in
    > and around London, please feel free to let me know and I'll help you

    spread
    > the word. I'm at [email protected].

    Hi Jen

    I also have a young daughter, a bit older than yours though, she's three. I
    used to live in London but recently moved to Nottinghamshire. When you say
    you would like to get more women on the road do you mean literally or do you
    stick to parks and cycle paths? The reason I ask is that I was terrified
    about driving in London let alone cycle. Hats off to you if you cycle the
    streets.

    I have only just started cycling again after ten years, I bought a new bike
    yesterday and a trailer for my little girl as she is too big too ride in a
    child seat. My partner would also like a bike now and it has crossed his
    mind that if we both have bikes we could go camping, cycling from campsite
    to campsite but I would need to get a lot more bike savvy and confident
    first. Do you find that motorists give you a lot of space with you having
    you daughter at the back of your bike?

    I don't live in London anymore so don't qualify to join your Yahoo group but
    just to have my tuppence worth: I may have only gone on my first proper bike
    ride today but I absolutely loved it and my daughter had a blast. It was
    nice to get away from it all and hit the countryside. It was a really
    pleasant feeling to have the wind in my hair while being able to hear my
    daughter singing twinkle twinkle little star in the back. I definitely think
    it is a great way for women and children to get out into the fresh air and
    it will also encourage children to lead a healthy lifestyle later on in
    life. I don't know why I didn't buy a bike sooner, when we got home my
    little girl didn't want to get out the trailer, she could happily have rode
    (ridden?) around all day!

    Good luck with your group!

    Fran

    > ---
    > Cycling Sisters is a place for women throughout greater London to discuss
    > all aspects of two-wheeled transport in and around the capital city.

    Whether
    > you're interested in cycling for fun, fitness, or transportation (or all
    > three), join us. Here, you'll find out about upcoming cycle rides, learn
    > about riding with or without kids, discuss all things cycle-related
    > (including safety and maintenance), and meet other female cyclists - all
    > within a friendly, atmosphere.
    >
    > Subscribe: [email protected]
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Jennifer Pirtle
    >
    > [email protected]

  5. Roos Eisma

    Roos Eisma Guest

    Velvet <[email protected]> writes:

    >Vaguely interested, but wondering just how far out the 'in and about
    >london' covers?

    Guess it won't stretch to Dundee ;)

    Roos

  6. cityjen wrote:

    > Hi all -
    > As a relatively new cyclist, I recently joined this group and am finding it
    > very useful. I'm based in London, and often ride with my 16-month-old
    > daughter - she loves being on the back of the bike in the child's seat!.
    >
    > I'm having a great time cycling and as such, I am trying to get more women
    > cyclists on the road - judging from my travels and conversations with other
    > women, we seem to be in a bit of a minority. ....

    Not female, me, but have one name you might contact: Alix Stredwick,
    who runs a project doing exactly what you want to do: encouraging and
    helping women to cycle. I can find an email address for you in a day
    or two if the above is not enough to go on.

    Colin McKenzie

  7. Colin McKenzie <[email protected]>typed

    > Not female, me, but have one name you might contact: Alix Stredwick,
    > who runs a project doing exactly what you want to do: encouraging and
    > helping women to cycle. I can find an email address for you in a day
    > or two if the above is not enough to go on.

    Alix Stredwick's [email protected]

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  8. cityjen

    cityjen Guest

    Well, I'm saying greater London, but if there's interest beyond that, by all
    means, come on board! I'd envisioned the rides starting from the London area
    and going out from there, in much the same way that LCC does.

    I'm definitely open to input - I've just started this yesterday. ;)

    I'd also love to hear from women who might be interested in leading rides.

    Cheers,
    Jennifer

    "Velvet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Vaguely interested, but wondering just how far out the 'in and about
    > london' covers?
    >
    > --
    >

    > Velvet

  9. cityjen

    cityjen Guest

    Hi Velvet:

    Well, I'm saying greater London but if there's interest beyond that, I'd
    love to hear about it! (Gotta start somewhere!). I'd envisioned rides
    starting from London and going out from there. Where are you based?

    I'd also be pleased to hear from women interested in leading rides - I
    thought perhaps we could do one a month.

    Cheers,
    Jennifer

    "Velvet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Vaguely interested, but wondering just how far out the 'in and about
    > london' covers?
    >
    > --
    >

    > Velvet

  10. cityjen

    cityjen Guest

    "Purple" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]

    > Hi Jen
    >
    > I also have a young daughter, a bit older than yours though, she's three.

    > used to live in London but recently moved to Nottinghamshire. When you say
    > you would like to get more women on the road do you mean literally or do

    you
    > stick to parks and cycle paths?

    I'd like to get women onto the roads, parks, paths - wherever they feel
    comfortable. I ride on all three. I tend to stick with the less busy streets
    when I'm with my daughter, but you can't always do so. (She does love waving
    at the buss drivers). Myself, I ride on the busy streets and actually love
    doing so. The key is to take - and own - your space.

    <snip>

    > I have only just started cycling again after ten years, I bought a new

    bike
    > yesterday and a trailer for my little girl as she is too big too ride in a
    > child seat. My partner would also like a bike now and it has crossed his
    > mind that if we both have bikes we could go camping, cycling from campsite
    > to campsite but I would need to get a lot more bike savvy and confident
    > first.

    That is one of the reasons that I got into cycling - as we go camping as a
    family, too!

    >Do you find that motorists give you a lot of space with you having
    > you daughter at the back of your bike?

    I take it. :) But seriously, I think most motorists will give you space if
    you are confident, maintain eye contact, and be assertive about the rules of
    the road. I think when you get into trouble is when you waver in your
    intentions.

    > I don't live in London anymore so don't qualify to join your Yahoo group

    but
    > just to have my tuppence worth: I may have only gone on my first proper

    bike
    > ride today but I absolutely loved it and my daughter had a blast. It was
    > nice to get away from it all and hit the countryside. It was a really
    > pleasant feeling to have the wind in my hair while being able to hear my
    > daughter singing twinkle twinkle little star in the back.

    Fantastic!!! I love hearing my litle one gurgle and make animal sounds back
    there! :)

    I definitely think
    > it is a great way for women and children to get out into the fresh air and
    > it will also encourage children to lead a healthy lifestyle later on in
    > life. I don't know why I didn't buy a bike sooner, when we got home my
    > little girl didn't want to get out the trailer, she could happily have

    rode
    > (ridden?) around all day!

    The key thing, though, is you started! Hurrah!

    > Good luck with your group!

    Thanks very much - if you think of anyone who might be interested, please
    have them get in touch.

    Best, Jennifer

  11. cityjen

    cityjen Guest

    Hi Colin:

    I meant to reply to you in the group (but it went to your private email) --
    yes, I've been in touch with Alix, in fact, her project helped to get me
    motivated about doing this. Her project, which was covering Camden and
    Lambeth, was one year long and is about to end (pending further funding, I
    believe). So I'm starting this, in part, to continue that momentum and also
    to get a much wider group.

    I welcome any ideas and suggestions - plus help spreading the word!

    Cheers,
    Jennifer

    "Colin McKenzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > cityjen wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all -
    > > As a relatively new cyclist, I recently joined this group and am finding

    it
    > > very useful. I'm based in London, and often ride with my 16-month-old
    > > daughter - she loves being on the back of the bike in the child's seat!.
    > >
    > > I'm having a great time cycling and as such, I am trying to get more

    women
    > > cyclists on the road - judging from my travels and conversations with

    other
    > > women, we seem to be in a bit of a minority. ....

    > Not female, me, but have one name you might contact: Alix Stredwick,
    > who runs a project doing exactly what you want to do: encouraging and
    > helping women to cycle. I can find an email address for you in a day
    > or two if the above is not enough to go on.
    >
    > Colin McKenzie

  12. cityjen

    cityjen Guest

    Great ideas, Jeremy - thanks!

    Jennifer

    "Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    [snip]

    > From the figures I've seen only about one London bike commuter in six
    > or seven is a women, which is a shame. I would guess the ratio is
    > about the same for people who go off riding on weekends.
    >
    > I thnk there are others who like going off on women only rides,
    > although I don't know details. I think there is even a bike shop
    > owned by an all woman co-op. (In Notting Hill?)
    >
    > It might be an idea to phone the London Cycling Campaign's office
    > (020-7928-7220) and see if you can get Rebecca Lack, editor of the
    > "London Cyclist", their magazine, to give your group a plug. The
    > people at the office also might know of others with similar interests
    > to yours.
    >
    > Jeremy Parker

  13. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Purple wrote:

    > I also have a young daughter, a bit older than yours though, she's three. I
    > used to live in London but recently moved to Nottinghamshire. When you say
    > you would like to get more women on the road do you mean literally or do you
    > stick to parks and cycle paths? The reason I ask is that I was terrified
    > about driving in London let alone cycle. Hats off to you if you cycle the
    > streets.

    Well, skipping into another thread, one thing you can very usefully
    spend money on is a copy of Cyclecraft, by John Franklin, The Stationery
    Office Books, ISBN: 0117020516 (Amazon have it at 12.99).

    It gives very good guidance on how to cycle safely on Real Roads, with
    emphasis on good positioning. With good positioning (as Jennifer says,
    take and own your space) you do get room, and when you've got room
    you're generally safe.

    > first. Do you find that motorists give you a lot of space with you having
    > you daughter at the back of your bike?

    Things that are out of the ordinary tend to get more space anyway, but
    with proper positioning (well out from the kerb, contrary to most
    peoples' assumptions, you get far more space from drivers than if you're
    hugging it) you'll have plenty of room anyway.
    I've already recommended Cyclecraft, but I'll do it again: you really
    should get a copy and read it ASAP.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  14. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    cityjen wrote:

    > Hi Velvet:
    >
    > Well, I'm saying greater London but if there's interest beyond that, I'd
    > love to hear about it! (Gotta start somewhere!). I'd envisioned rides
    > starting from London and going out from there. Where are you based?
    >
    > I'd also be pleased to hear from women interested in leading rides - I
    > thought perhaps we could do one a month.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Jennifer

    Hmm, I might sign up then :) I'm in the Purley area, in Surrey, though
    they're trying their hardest to make us part of London, the gits :)

    I don't ride much (hardly ever) on the roads around here - confidence
    reasons, plus the traffic volumes as well as the driver attitudes are
    *very* offputting to a single female cyclist (oh, and the hills, the hills).

    My better half lives in cambridgeshire, so I tend to save most of my
    cycling for up that neck of the woods - quieter roads, fewer cars with
    w*****s in, etc. Oh, and fewer hills, too - though they still have them
    (*grin*) - contrary to what some would have you believe ;-)

    I'd be the last person you'd want as a ride leader, believe me. Not
    only do I only know the roads around here as a driver not a cyclist, I
    still find a lot of the hills beyond me (both up AND down!) - and last
    but not least, I still haven't mastered signalling whilst on a bike yet!

    I have joined one local cycling campaign list - I agree that you should
    investigate the LCC and the local offshoots from it, they also organise
    rides, and there's a women's group in the croydon area too, I'm sure
    you'd find a lot of similarly minded ladies amongst them!

    --

    Velvet

  15. Frank X

    Frank X Guest

    "cityjen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all -
    >
    > As a relatively new cyclist, I recently joined this group and am finding
    > it
    > very useful. I'm based in London, and often ride with my 16-month-old
    > daughter - she loves being on the back of the bike in the child's seat!.

    I saw my first bent for ages on my commute home last night. It was only
    after following it for a few miles that a guy opened a car door in front of
    it and then said sorry sister that I realised the rider was a girl!

    You don't get many of them to a pound!

  16. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "cityjen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I just set up an informal e-group called Cycling Sisters (details, below).
    > If you know someone who might be interested, please pass along the info.

    Welcome to urc. I'll put a message up by the cycle changing rooms at
    work. We have a large number of cycle-commuting women here.

    Anyone interested in learning a bit more about Jennifer might want to
    take a peek at <http://cityjen.com/>, or just Google for her name.

    --
    Dave...

    I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to
    conquer Poland. — Woody Allen

  17. james

    james Guest

    Colin McKenzie <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > cityjen wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all -
    > > As a relatively new cyclist...I am trying to get more women
    > > cyclists on the road

    > Not female, me, but have one name you might contact: Alix Stredwick,
    > who runs a project doing exactly what you want to do: encouraging and
    > helping women to cycle. I can find an email address for you in a day
    > or two if the above is not enough to go on.

    <aol>I was going to say that (and the LCC pace JP)</aol>

    Alix's project (and contact details) can be found here
    http://www.wds.org.uk/projects/current/cfw/cfw.htm

    best wishes
    james

  18. Jeremy Parker wrote:

    > I thnk there are others who like going off on women only rides,
    > although I don't know details. I think there is even a bike shop
    > owned by an all woman co-op. (In Notting Hill?)

    Bicycle Workshop in the All Saints Road <URL:
    http://www.bicycleworkshop.co.uk/>

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  19. Purple

    Purple Guest

    "cityjen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Purple" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:%[email protected]
    > >

    > > Hi Jen
    > >
    > > I also have a young daughter, a bit older than yours though, she's

    three.
    > > used to live in London but recently moved to Nottinghamshire. When you

    say
    > > you would like to get more women on the road do you mean literally or do

    > you
    > > stick to parks and cycle paths?

    > I'd like to get women onto the roads, parks, paths - wherever they feel
    > comfortable. I ride on all three. I tend to stick with the less busy

    streets
    > when I'm with my daughter, but you can't always do so. (She does love

    waving
    > at the buss drivers). Myself, I ride on the busy streets and actually love
    > doing so. The key is to take - and own - your space.

    I cycled maybe a couple of hundred yards of that yesterday just in the side
    streets round where I live after leaving the cycle path to get back to my
    house. What worries me is that people don't stop and look before pulling out
    round here, you see cars screeching and dodging each other all the time.
    It's a nightmare with kids playing in the road too and messing round on
    bikes. I am surprised there aren't more accidents than there are.

    I will have to become more forthright and not so meek, after all I have as
    much right as motorists to be in the road!

    > <snip>
    >
    > > I have only just started cycling again after ten years, I bought a new

    > bike
    > > yesterday and a trailer for my little girl as she is too big too ride in

    > > child seat. My partner would also like a bike now and it has crossed his
    > > mind that if we both have bikes we could go camping, cycling from

    campsite
    > > to campsite but I would need to get a lot more bike savvy and confident
    > > first.

    > That is one of the reasons that I got into cycling - as we go camping as a
    > family, too!

    We are ramblers at heart really but now my daughter is too big to be in a
    child carrier on my partners back and prefers to walk we don't get out as
    much as we used to as she can't walk very fast and gets tired quickly. Which
    is fine as we have just as much fine going out for an hour and naming all
    the different flowers and plants but I missed being out in the country all
    day stopping off for a picnic for lunch that is why I got a bike and
    trailer. Both my daughter and I have the best of both worlds now, I get some
    exercise and she can travel in comfort!

    Camping is a fantastic experience for little ones isn't it?! We went on a
    seven month camping trip in France, Italy, Sicily and Spain when me daughter
    was 10 months old and she can still remember certain things when I show her
    photos of our adventures. I think that is why my daughter is so incredibly
    laid back and fearless about everything. When you have to have your nappy
    changed in front of seven strangers on a night train you have no choice but
    to go with the flow!

    Just camping itself is a geat family exercise. We are hoping to go camping
    in the Lakes in August

    > >Do you find that motorists give you a lot of space with you having
    > > you daughter at the back of your bike?

    > I take it. :) But seriously, I think most motorists will give you space if
    > you are confident, maintain eye contact, and be assertive about the rules

    of
    > the road. I think when you get into trouble is when you waver in your
    > intentions.

    Thankyou that's some good advice you have offered. Once I get my confidence
    back just using my bike on cycle paths and gears etc become second nature
    I'll tackle road cycling as Sherwood Forest is only about 30 minutes away
    and it would be fantastic to cycle there, have a picnic and then explore!

    > > I don't live in London anymore so don't qualify to join your Yahoo group

    > but
    > > just to have my tuppence worth: I may have only gone on my first proper

    > bike
    > > ride today but I absolutely loved it and my daughter had a blast. It was
    > > nice to get away from it all and hit the countryside. It was a really
    > > pleasant feeling to have the wind in my hair while being able to hear my
    > > daughter singing twinkle twinkle little star in the back.

    > Fantastic!!! I love hearing my litle one gurgle and make animal sounds

    back
    > there! :)
    >
    > I definitely think
    > > it is a great way for women and children to get out into the fresh air

    and
    > > it will also encourage children to lead a healthy lifestyle later on in
    > > life. I don't know why I didn't buy a bike sooner, when we got home my
    > > little girl didn't want to get out the trailer, she could happily have

    > rode
    > > (ridden?) around all day!

    > The key thing, though, is you started! Hurrah!

    Thanks! It's never too late to start something new I guess and anything
    that gets my daughter away from the dreaded telly is always good! :eek:)

    > > Good luck with your group!

    > Thanks very much - if you think of anyone who might be interested, please
    > have them get in touch.

    Will do!

    > Best, Jennifer

    Fran

  20. Purple

    Purple Guest

    > Purple wrote:
    >
    > > I also have a young daughter, a bit older than yours though, she's

    three. I
    > > used to live in London but recently moved to Nottinghamshire. When you

    say
    > > you would like to get more women on the road do you mean literally or do

    you
    > > stick to parks and cycle paths? The reason I ask is that I was terrified
    > > about driving in London let alone cycle. Hats off to you if you cycle

    the
    > > streets.

    > Well, skipping into another thread, one thing you can very usefully
    > spend money on is a copy of Cyclecraft, by John Franklin, The Stationery
    > Office Books, ISBN: 0117020516 (Amazon have it at 12.99).

    Thanks Pete, I'll check it out now. If my partner hs his way and we take the
    bikes on our camping trip in August I'll have to be better at road cycling!

    > It gives very good guidance on how to cycle safely on Real Roads, with
    > emphasis on good positioning. With good positioning (as Jennifer says,
    > take and own your space) you do get room, and when you've got room
    > you're generally safe.
    >
    > > first. Do you find that motorists give you a lot of space with you

    having
    > > you daughter at the back of your bike?

    > Things that are out of the ordinary tend to get more space anyway, but
    > with proper positioning (well out from the kerb, contrary to most
    > peoples' assumptions, you get far more space from drivers than if you're
    > hugging it) you'll have plenty of room anyway.
    > I've already recommended Cyclecraft, but I'll do it again: you really
    > should get a copy and read it ASAP.

    You can't miss the trailer, it is very brightly coloured and has got a pole
    with a flag attached to it in order as easy to spot as possible.

    Thanks for all your help Pete, I really appreciate it!

    > Pete.
    > --
    > Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    > Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    > Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    > net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

    Fran