Any female cyclists out there?

Thanks, Dave!!

Jennifer

> Jeremy Parker wrote:
>
> > I thnk there are others who like going off on women only rides,
> > although I don't know details. I think there is even a bike shop
> > owned by an all woman co-op. (In Notting Hill?)

> Bicycle Workshop in the All Saints Road <URL:
> http://www.bicycleworkshop.co.uk/>
>
> --
>
> Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
> http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"Velvet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> I have joined one local cycling campaign list - I agree that you should
> investigate the LCC and the local offshoots from it, they also organise
> rides, and there's a women's group in the croydon area too, I'm sure
> you'd find a lot of similarly minded ladies amongst them!

Yes, one of the women who works at LCC has said she'll help publicise
amongst the local groups; I'll be in touch with my LCC group, Lambeth.

All great ideas!!

Jennifer

Great, thanks Dave! And yep, you can find out more than you probably ever
wanted to know about me (professionally, that is!) at my web site. :)

Jennifer

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "cityjen" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...

> > I just set up an informal e-group called Cycling Sisters (details,

below).

Purple wrote:

> "cityjen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"Purple" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:%[email protected]...
>>
>>>Hi Jen
>>>
>>>I also have a young daughter, a bit older than yours though, she's

> three.

>>>used to live in London but recently moved to Nottinghamshire. When you

> say
>
>>>you would like to get more women on the road do you mean literally or do

>>you
>>
>>>stick to parks and cycle paths?

>>I'd like to get women onto the roads, parks, paths - wherever they feel
>>comfortable. I ride on all three. I tend to stick with the less busy

> streets
>
>>when I'm with my daughter, but you can't always do so. (She does love

> waving
>
>>at the buss drivers). Myself, I ride on the busy streets and actually love
>>doing so. The key is to take - and own - your space.

> I cycled maybe a couple of hundred yards of that yesterday just in the side
> streets round where I live after leaving the cycle path to get back to my
> house. What worries me is that people don't stop and look before pulling out
> round here, you see cars screeching and dodging each other all the time.
> It's a nightmare with kids playing in the road too and messing round on
> bikes. I am surprised there aren't more accidents than there are.
>
> I will have to become more forthright and not so meek, after all I have as
> much right as motorists to be in the road!

I can highly recommend getting a copy of 'cyclecraft' - I can't remember
the author but others here will be able to tell you. I think it might
be available via amazon.co.uk - a new edition was done a while back.

Very very useful - it's like highway code for cyclists, and is full of
excellent advice about where and how to cycle (not as close to the kerb
as you might think, for example), and how to best negotiate junctions,
etc etc.

Cycling with experienced cyclists helps too - you can follow their lead
and learn where they position themselves on the road at various points
to avoid problems being squeezed by cars, etc. Of course, that assumes
they actually do the sensible thing and don't cycle in the gutter all
the time, so you might have to ask around a bit!

--

Velvet

Frank X wrote:

> "cityjen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Hi all -
>>
>>As a relatively new cyclist, I recently joined this group and am finding
>>it
>>very useful. I'm based in London, and often ride with my 16-month-old
>>daughter - she loves being on the back of the bike in the child's seat!.
>>

> I saw my first bent for ages on my commute home last night. It was only
> after following it for a few miles that a guy opened a car door in front of
> it and then said sorry sister that I realised the rider was a girl!
>
> You don't get many of them to a pound!

I'll willingly be another one, all I need is someone to donate a
windcheetah... ;-)

--

Velvet

Velvet wrote:

> Very very useful - it's like highway code for cyclists

Not really. The Highway Code for cyclists is, errrr, The Highway Code.
It won't hurt to reread that though.

> and is full of
> excellent advice about where and how to cycle (not as close to the kerb
> as you might think, for example), and how to best negotiate junctions,
> etc etc.

Indeed, but it's not a replacement for the Highway Code aimed at
cyclists. More like Roadcraft than THC.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch wrote:

> Velvet wrote:
>
>> Very very useful - it's like highway code for cyclists

> Not really. The Highway Code for cyclists is, errrr, The Highway Code.
> It won't hurt to reread that though.
>
>> and is full of excellent advice about where and how to cycle (not as
>> close to the kerb as you might think, for example), and how to best
>> negotiate junctions, etc etc.

> Indeed, but it's not a replacement for the Highway Code aimed at
> cyclists. More like Roadcraft than THC.
>
> Pete.

Yes, you're right, sorry, had my thoughts interrupted halfway through
writing by a customer :)

--

Velvet

Peter - is there a general maintenence book you'd recommend, that gives a
great overview of bikes in general, plus specifics (changing tire, etc.).
I'm planning on taking a maintenence class but would love to have - and
recommend - a bookshelf primer.

Cheers,
Jennifer

Velvet wrote:

> Yes, you're right, sorry, had my thoughts interrupted halfway through
> writing by a customer :)

Hey ho. If you had customers that behave like testing a Backup Exec
installation, which involves an awful lot of waiting around to see if
things go wrong, then that would be less of a problem! OTOH, though it
means I have a lot of spare /minutes/ the *hours* have been pretty
appalling lately :-(

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

>Guess it won't stretch to Dundee ;)
>
>Roos

Nor to Norfolk - even though the North Norfolk coast is Chelsea-on-Sea ;-)

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

>I'll willingly be another one, all I need is someone to donate a
>windcheetah... ;-)

If anyone will donate a Trice, I'll be another one - in the Norfolk outpost ;-)

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

Peter Clinch wrote:

> Velvet wrote:
>
>> Yes, you're right, sorry, had my thoughts interrupted halfway through
>> writing by a customer :)

> Hey ho. If you had customers that behave like testing a Backup Exec
> installation, which involves an awful lot of waiting around to see if
> things go wrong, then that would be less of a problem! OTOH, though it
> means I have a lot of spare /minutes/ the *hours* have been pretty
> appalling lately :-(
>
> Pete.

Yeah, my job's similar sometimes. I work from home (nice) but will
eventually go back on call (not so nice) and even so, when I do go out
to site the hours are long, both on site and in the car there and back...

It does mean that I can sometimes lurk here during the days when work's
not quite so hectic, though not as much as when I was 'actively seeking
employment' like the last few months!!!

--

Velvet

Velvet <[email protected]> wrote in news:qNRGc.157$kI6.1319103
@news-text.cableinet.net:

> It does mean that I can sometimes lurk here during the days when work's
> not quite so hectic, though not as much as when I was 'actively seeking
> employment' like the last few months!!!

Nowt wrong with that. There are few more enlightening and entertaining
displacement activities than perusing and posting to URC.

Now, where did I put that CV?

:)

Graeme

cityjen wrote:
> Peter - is there a general maintenence book you'd recommend, that gives a
> great overview of bikes in general, plus specifics (changing tire, etc.).
> I'm planning on taking a maintenence class but would love to have - and
> recommend - a bookshelf primer.

My maintenance book is a rather old one by Rob van der Plas, and though
I think it's pretty good I could really do with something a bit more up
to date. So I'll throw the same question out to everyone else...

But on the Web, look at the Park Tools repair advice pages at
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml and
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/ is a goldmine of cycling stuff.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:22:57 +0100, Peter Clinch <[email protected]>
wrote:

> cityjen wrote:
>> Peter - is there a general maintenence book you'd recommend, that gives
>> great overview of bikes in general, plus specifics (changing tire,
>> etc.).
>> I'm planning on taking a maintenence class but would love to have - and
>> recommend - a bookshelf primer.

> My maintenance book is a rather old one by Rob van der Plas, and though
> I think it's pretty good I could really do with something a bit more up
> to date. So I'll throw the same question out to everyone else...

I have found latest Haynes manual useful from time to time.

Colin

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 14:11:21 +0100, "Colin Blackburn"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have found latest Haynes manual useful from time to time.

I've just started attempting my own bike maintenance, I use the latest
Haynes Bike Book alot (although I think the earlier edition was more
noobie-friendly). Haynes Bike Book has, as you'd expect, lots of
pictures, which I need.

email = audmacd aaatttt hhhottt mmmaailll dddoottt ccccoommm

in message <[email protected]>, cityjen
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Peter - is there a general maintenence book you'd recommend, that
> gives a great overview of bikes in general, plus specifics (changing
> tire, etc.). I'm planning on taking a maintenence class but would love
> to have - and recommend - a bookshelf primer.

Try 'Zinn on the Art...' - excellent, clear, comprehensive, well
illustrated.
<URL:http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books-uk&field-author=Zinn,
Lennard/202-8832588-4781409>

IMHO, there aren't enough committed Christians, but that's care
in the community for you. -- Ben Evans

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> [email protected]omcom (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers)typed

>>Nor to Norfolk - even though the North Norfolk coast is Chelsea-on-Sea ;-)

> I thought it was Leicester-on-Sea...

I lived in Leicester for 3 years (did my BSc. there). And at least as
far as most of the student societies are concerned, Leicester-on-Sea
/is/ Skegness.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

>> Nor to Norfolk - even though the North Norfolk coast is Chelsea-on-Sea ;-)
>

>I thought it was Leicester-on-Sea...

Nah - it's definitely Chelsea-on-Sea, Knightsbridge-on-Sea or Islington-on-Sea
these days. The supermarkets even have special Range Rovers for doing the
shopping deliveries for the wealthier escapees from London at the weekends.
It's pushed the price of property up a huge amount. Those City annual bonuses
buying the quaint Norfolk seaside cottages outright.

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$