Any geocachers here? A route site just for you!

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Dave, Jan 19, 2005.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Anyone else interested in that game that lets you have the most fun
    you can have with a GPS? I mean geocaching of course. The only chance
    you ever have to use multi-billion dollar military satellite equipment
    to go and hunt for abandoned bits of tupperware in places you wouldn't
    dream of going otherwise.

    It proved an interesting thing to do for me while walking.
    Unfortunately it meant more route planning to walk between the damn
    things. I didn't want to let all that work go to waste, so I decided
    to write a website for myself and others to share routes one.

    Now, you don't have to be a geocacher to do the routes, but it
    certainly helps.

    All are most welcome to come and visit. The address is
    http://www.geohikes.co.uk

    Tags:

  2. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > Anyone else interested in that game that lets you have the most fun
    > you can have with a GPS?

    I've occasionally considered it, as a means to entice my
    teenage daughter out of the house more often. The other thing
    that rather appeals to me is Letterboxing on Dartmoor - but
    then I've always been a little odd. I'll certainly have a
    look at your website, and thank you.
    --
    All the best to everyone in 2005
    - Fran

  3. AndyP

    AndyP Guest

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Anyone else interested in that game that lets you have the most fun
    > you can have with a GPS? I mean geocaching of course. The only chance
    > you ever have to use multi-billion dollar military satellite equipment
    > to go and hunt for abandoned bits of tupperware in places you wouldn't
    > dream of going otherwise.

    I looked at the Geocache website the other day and went and found 2 of the
    ones local to me on a stroll around early this morning. Didn't use a GPS,
    the grid refs and site clues were easy enough with local knowledge.

  4. SteveO

    SteveO Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:33:37 -0000, "AndyP"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> Anyone else interested in that game that lets you have the most fun
    >> you can have with a GPS? I mean geocaching of course. The only chance
    >> you ever have to use multi-billion dollar military satellite equipment
    >> to go and hunt for abandoned bits of tupperware in places you wouldn't
    >> dream of going otherwise.

    >I looked at the Geocache website the other day and went and found 2 of the
    >ones local to me on a stroll around early this morning. Didn't use a GPS,
    >the grid refs and site clues were easy enough with local knowledge.

    you trolling again Andy, along the lines of "you don't need a GPS to
    find these things? ;-)

    Some of the geocachers go to considerable lengthsto make their cache
    hard to find, not only with the location but also the clues; adds to
    the fun I suppose. I was once tempted to put one in a cave half-way up
    a crag... but the H&S side of my conscience got the better of me ;-)

    --
    SteveO

  5. AndyP

    AndyP Guest

    <SteveO> wrote in message

    > >I looked at the Geocache website the other day and went and found 2 of

    the
    > >ones local to me on a stroll around early this morning. Didn't use a

    GPS,
    > >the grid refs and site clues were easy enough with local knowledge.

    > you trolling again Andy, along the lines of "you don't need a GPS to
    > find these things? ;-)

    No, not at all. There's a few close to where I live. If you're going to
    entitle one after the name of the lane it's by and give a clue like "it's on
    a holly tree" it's not that hard to find even if you don't know the area. I
    suppose urban ones would be more obvious than ones out in the wilds.

    > Some of the geocachers go to considerable lengthsto make their cache
    > hard to find, not only with the location but also the clues; adds to
    > the fun I suppose. I was once tempted to put one in a cave half-way up
    > a crag... but the H&S side of my conscience got the better of me ;-)

    Yeah, I only really looked at the site to find out what it was all about so
    just picked a couple that I knew where they'd be. Didn't understand the
    clues for some other close ones but cheating a bit and reading peoples
    letters of efforts to find them should make it easier. Could have popped in
    a cave up the road on my stroll around this afternoon because that's
    probably where another one is but I wasn't originally planning on going that
    way and didn't take a torch.

  6. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, AndyP
    <[email protected]> writes
    >No, not at all. There's a few close to where I live. If you're going to
    >entitle one after the name of the lane it's by and give a clue like "it's on
    >a holly tree" it's not that hard to find even if you don't know the area. I
    >suppose urban ones would be more obvious than ones out in the wilds.

    This sort of reminds me of the time a mate of mine wanted to call on me
    (for the first time) and when he asked someone for directions they
    pointed him down the street and told him to turn left at the holly tree.
    He asked "Is that a pub?" and got the answer "NO a Tree".
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  7. Dave <[email protected]> writes
    >Anyone else interested in that game that lets you have the most fun
    >you can have with a GPS? I mean geocaching of course.

    I went a short walk today, and had a look for a Geocache, but as I
    approached the GR I found that there was an American pickup truck almost
    on the exact spot, in a quarry car park, a large silver car parked
    nearby, and two blokes, one of whom was wielding a camera on a tripod.
    (Not PVS)

    I walked around the exact spot, uncomfortable at the 'company' and soon
    gave up, then I noticed that the guy was taking a photograph of the
    dashboard of the car through the passenger door. I muttered
    something about searching for something and the second guy immediately
    said "Geocache"? I said yes and what are you up to?

    They were working for motor magazine and I then checked out the car and
    realised it was a '54 reg Ford Mustang, (AP54MUS), so probably supplied
    by the American Pickup Truck place in Hyde
    Slightly too large for my garage, unfortunately.
    --
    Gordon Harris