Any Ghisallo or other Comapct frame owners?

tridennisr

May 24, 2004
I am test riding at a used Litespeed Ghisallo and have been adjusting it to fit me. Once setup, I have 22cm of seat tube sticking out of the frame measuring from the top of the seat tube to the seat rails. I'm also concerned about the drop from the top of the saddle, to the top of the bars is 8.5cm. I have only ridden a few minutes on a trainer so far, but worry this is too much drop for long rides.

I'm curious what some others who ride compact frames think, do you have similar measurements as mine? Or is this frame just a poor fit for me

Thanks

tridennisr said:
I am test riding at a used Litespeed Ghisallo and have been adjusting it to fit me. Once setup, I have 22cm of seat tube sticking out of the frame measuring from the top of the seat tube to the seat rails. I'm also concerned about the drop from the top of the saddle, to the top of the bars is 8.5cm. I have only ridden a few minutes on a trainer so far, but worry this is too much drop for long rides.

I'm curious what some others who ride compact frames think, do you have similar measurements as mine? Or is this frame just a poor fit for me

Thanks
It's not about compact frames as much as it is headtube length and how short the steerer was cut, and stem angle.The frame could actually be the right size. What someone else is doing has no bearing on your situation.Some ride alot more drop and some have to have the bars level with or above the saddle. If you don't know what you need for fit, why are you potentially throwing alot of money down a rathole on a big $$ Ghisallo? If this is your first road bike, improved conditioning and flexibility might overcome the feeling of too low bars. It also might not.

boudreaux said:
It's not about compact frames as much as it is headtube length and how short the steerer was cut, and stem angle.The frame could actually be the right size. What someone else is doing has no bearing on your situation.Some ride alot more drop and some have to have the bars level with or above the saddle. If you don't know what you need for fit, why are you potentially throwing alot of money down a rathole on a big $$ Ghisallo? If this is your first road bike, improved conditioning and flexibility might overcome the feeling of too low bars. It also might not.

Yes this is my first road bike. I am looking at the Ghisallo because it belongs to a friend of mine, and he wants to do some trading that would get me on that bike relatively cheap.

I mostly ride a Triathlon bike, and cross train on a Cyclocross bike. I'm just unsure if there is a standard I should try and start with. When I look at the Ghisallo with my setup, the seatpost looks incredibly long sticking out of the frame. Maybe this a typical of this type of frame, maybe not. The stem has 1/2 inch of spacer, but the steerer is cut and cant go any higher. The current stem is 0 degree making it a 7 degree rise, so yes I could raise it with another stem, but I'm not a big fan of silly looking riser stems.

Just trying to get an idea.

I ride my Tri bike with 8CM of drop to the top of the elbow pads, and my Cross bike with 5cm. Hopefully I can get some decnet weather and ride it outside.

Thanks

tridennisr said:
I mostly ride a Triathlon bike, and cross train on a Cyclocross bike. I'm just unsure if there is a standard I should try and start with. When I look at the Ghisallo with my setup, the seatpost looks incredibly long sticking out of the frame. Maybe this a typical of this type of frame, maybe not. The stem has 1/2 inch of spacer, but the steerer is cut and cant go any higher. The current stem is 0 degree making it a 7 degree rise, so yes I could raise it with another stem, but I'm not a big fan of silly looking riser stems.
A correct sized compact frame always shows more seatpost relative to a traditional one.Given what you have said about spacers and stem rise, it's live with it or move on.

boudreaux said:
A correct sized compact frame always shows more seatpost relative to a traditional one.Given what you have said about spacers and stem rise, it's live with it or move on.

Unless it's a chopper, baby.