Any good rides for a beginner in NYC?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Hector13, Apr 27, 2003.

  1. Hector13

    Hector13 Guest

    Can any one recommend any good road biking rides for someone just starting out in manhattan?

    I live downtown (battery park area), so I was thinking I could ride up that pathway on the west
    side, but I don't know how far or where exactly it goes. Any body have any suggestions?

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, hector13 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Can any one recommend any good road biking rides for someone just starting out in manhattan?
    >
    > I live downtown (battery park area), so I was thinking I could ride up that pathway on the west
    > side, but I don't know how far or where exactly it goes. Any body have any suggestions?

    The bike path runs up to the George Washington Bridge - about 10 miles. It can be very crowded on
    weekends, but it's not too bad in the early morning or weekdays. From the GWB, you can get to the
    suburban roads in New Jersey. You can also ride your bicycle in Central Park, which has a 6 1/2 mile
    loop. The park is closed to cars on weekends, most holidays, and between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. on
    weekdays. Same deal with crowds as the west side bike path.

    There are many other paths in the city, some better than others.

    You can order a bike path map from the NYC DOT:

    http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/bikeped/bikemain.html

    Have fun, Tony

    --
    Tony Rentschler New York, NY

  3. Tispectrum

    Tispectrum Guest

    Join the New York Cycle Club. They have ride for all categories. The web site is NYCC.org

    "Tony Rentschler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:280420030604320278%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, hector13
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Can any one recommend any good road biking rides for someone just starting out in manhattan?
    > >
    > > I live downtown (battery park area), so I was thinking I could ride up that pathway on the west
    > > side, but I don't know how far or where exactly it goes. Any body have any suggestions?

  4. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    =v= Lotsa great free group rides here:

    http://www.times-up.org/

    =v= NYC is ruled by pedestrians, not cars, so it's a great city to bike in. Central Park and the
    greenway along the Hudson are great for beginners, but at some point you'll be able to enjoy
    cruising down Broadway. <_Jym_