Any good?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Doki, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. Doki

    Doki Guest

    My local bike hire place are selling off some of their bikes, Giant Boulders
    as in this url:
    http://tinyurl.com/2bqcf

    I've not ridden a bike for ages so I don't expect to be hammering it too much straight away, but I'd
    to buy prefer something OK. Are the RST forks cack? I've not heard of them. Are the other bits all
    relatively OK? Would replacing the Forks cost me an arm and a leg if they're crap, or I break them?
    I don't plan on doing much mountain biking until I've done some road cycling on it build up some
    stamina, so the forks can be swapped later without them being too much of a pain in my arse in the
    meantime... Of course, that's assuming the frame isn't a POS ;).

    TIA

    Tags:

  2. Gwood

    Gwood Guest

    It looks pretty marginal from the info on the link. RST makes a whole line of shocks, but the low
    end ones are junky (as with many other makers). Acera components are some of the lowest quality
    stuff made by Shimano, mostly for the "department store" level market. Probably for the same price
    you could get something very decent in the lightly used market. Find a knowlegable friend to help
    sort out decent frames and componentry.

    A good entry level fork might run you $200US. A decent wheelset probably about the same. Most frames
    with good welds and design will be several hundred bucks. Certainly buying the package is more
    economical, just throwing out those (very) rough numbers so you can evaluate what level of quality
    you'd get for your money...

    No offense, but if you're just getting into it, what makes you think you need full suspension? The
    cost of a good FS frame can be double that of a good hardtail (no rear suspension) frame. A junky
    one will be heavy, flexy, have poor welds, bad pivots and a crappy shock. All of which will not
    contribute to a good time on the trails. Save some money by getting a better quality hardtail bike
    with decent fork, gears and brakes. Ride it for a couple of years and then see if you think you'd
    prefer a RS bike. By that time you'll have a good feel for climbing, tight corners and control at
    speed, and be a better judge as to whether FS is what you want.

    Cheers Gary

    "Doki" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My local bike hire place are selling off some of their bikes, Giant
    Boulders
    > as in this url: http://tinyurl.com/2bqcf
    >
    > I've not ridden a bike for ages so I don't expect to be hammering it too much straight away, but
    > I'd to buy prefer something OK. Are the RST forks cack? I've not heard of them. Are the other bits
    > all relatively OK? Would replacing the Forks cost me an arm and a leg if
    they're
    > crap, or I break them? I don't plan on doing much mountain biking until
    I've
    > done some road cycling on it build up some stamina, so the forks can be swapped later without them
    > being too much of a pain in my arse in the meantime... Of course, that's assuming the frame isn't
    > a POS ;).
    >
    > TIA

  3. Jonesy

    Jonesy Guest

    "Doki" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > My local bike hire place are selling off some of their bikes, Giant Boulders as in this url:
    > http://tinyurl.com/2bqcf
    >
    > I've not ridden a bike for ages so I don't expect to be hammering it too much straight away, but
    > I'd to buy prefer something OK. Are the RST forks cack? I've not heard of them. Are the other bits
    > all relatively OK? Would replacing the Forks cost me an arm and a leg if they're crap, or I break
    > them? I don't plan on doing much mountain biking until I've done some road cycling on it build up
    > some stamina, so the forks can be swapped later without them being too much of a pain in my arse
    > in the meantime... Of course, that's assuming the frame isn't a POS ;).

    It's better to buy a good bike to start. If you're short on cash, then this is a good place to
    start, and when/if you break stuff, replace it with better (on sale) stuff.

    But if you go in thinking "I'm buying this bike for the frame" you'll end up spending WAY more money
    than just buying a better bike from the start.
    --
    Jonesy

  4. Jd

    Jd Guest