Any good?

Doki

Guest
My local bike hire place are selling off some of their bikes, Giant Boulders
as in this url:
http://tinyurl.com/2bqcf

I've not ridden a bike for ages so I don't expect to be hammering it too much straight away, but I'd
to buy prefer something OK. Are the RST forks cack? I've not heard of them. Are the other bits all
relatively OK? Would replacing the Forks cost me an arm and a leg if they're ****, or I break them?
I don't plan on doing much mountain biking until I've done some road cycling on it build up some
stamina, so the forks can be swapped later without them being too much of a pain in my **** in the
meantime... Of course, that's assuming the frame isn't a POS ;).

TIA

It looks pretty marginal from the info on the link. RST makes a whole line of shocks, but the low
end ones are junky (as with many other makers). Acera components are some of the lowest quality
stuff made by Shimano, mostly for the "department store" level market. Probably for the same price
you could get something very decent in the lightly used market. Find a knowlegable friend to help
sort out decent frames and componentry.

A good entry level fork might run you $200US. A decent wheelset probably about the same. Most frames
with good welds and design will be several hundred bucks. Certainly buying the package is more
economical, just throwing out those (very) rough numbers so you can evaluate what level of quality
you'd get for your money...

No offense, but if you're just getting into it, what makes you think you need full suspension? The
cost of a good FS frame can be double that of a good hardtail (no rear suspension) frame. A junky
one will be heavy, flexy, have poor welds, bad pivots and a crappy shock. All of which will not
contribute to a good time on the trails. Save some money by getting a better quality hardtail bike
with decent fork, gears and brakes. Ride it for a couple of years and then see if you think you'd
prefer a RS bike. By that time you'll have a good feel for climbing, tight corners and control at
speed, and be a better judge as to whether FS is what you want.

Cheers Gary

"Doki" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My local bike hire place are selling off some of their bikes, Giant
Boulders
> as in this url: http://tinyurl.com/2bqcf
>
> I've not ridden a bike for ages so I don't expect to be hammering it too much straight away, but
> I'd to buy prefer something OK. Are the RST forks cack? I've not heard of them. Are the other bits
> all relatively OK? Would replacing the Forks cost me an arm and a leg if
they're
> ****, or I break them? I don't plan on doing much mountain biking until
I've
> done some road cycling on it build up some stamina, so the forks can be swapped later without them
> being too much of a pain in my **** in the meantime... Of course, that's assuming the frame isn't
> a POS ;).
>
> TIA

"Doki" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> My local bike hire place are selling off some of their bikes, Giant Boulders as in this url:
> http://tinyurl.com/2bqcf
>
> I've not ridden a bike for ages so I don't expect to be hammering it too much straight away, but
> I'd to buy prefer something OK. Are the RST forks cack? I've not heard of them. Are the other bits
> all relatively OK? Would replacing the Forks cost me an arm and a leg if they're ****, or I break
> them? I don't plan on doing much mountain biking until I've done some road cycling on it build up
> some stamina, so the forks can be swapped later without them being too much of a pain in my ****
> in the meantime... Of course, that's assuming the frame isn't a POS ;).

It's better to buy a good bike to start. If you're short on cash, then this is a good place to
start, and when/if you break stuff, replace it with better (on sale) stuff.

But if you go in thinking "I'm buying this bike for the frame" you'll end up spending WAY more money
than just buying a better bike from the start.
--
Jonesy