Any Great Supplements

bgoetz

Nov 25, 2010
I eat well, I sleep well, and I do any other thing I can to recover well. I am looking for advice on supplements, the legal kind. I use to take supplements when I lifted, and found some to actually really help increase strength and stamina, so I know they exhist. I also know that others are complete and total BS.

One that I always had good luck with was Beta Alanine and it actually seems like it would be a good supplement for cycling, so I was thinking of giving it a shot. I have also read studies on the cardio vascular benefits of drinking beet juice, and may give that a shot as well. As for pre-race supplements, Joe Friel seems to really speak highly of a sodium phosphate supplement once or twice a year that you would load before an "A race".

Any thoughts on any of these supplements? Should I just save my $? Any other supplements that are worth a shot?

Originally Posted by bgoetz .
Joe Friel seems to really speak highly of a sodium phosphate supplement once or twice a year that you would load before an "A race".
Any thoughts on any of these supplements? Should I just save my $? Any other supplements that are worth a shot?
I wonder if it's any relation to Phosfuel, an old Twinlabs product I used to take before races. A standard lactate buffer like sodium bicarbinate. Anecdotally speaking I was able to crank the hill in my local park one gear bigger at the same effort. Race day adrenaline? Makes you **** though, and spikes your sodium levels. Similar naming convention to Friel's pitch.

Actigin has really helped me out. Especially with endurance. I'd suggest giving that a try.

Before you try supplements, you should read Paul Offit's book, 'Do you believe in Magic." Briefly, there is a real lack of evidence based research that demonstrates that supplementals are helpful, and a lot of research that suggests that most are harmful. It was a real eye opener for me since I had a doctor who was really pushing them.

And when you think about it, given the number of people using supplements, if they worked, then there would be double blind random controlled studies demonstrating their efficacy. With very few exceptions, there is no evidence they work.

I experiment with creatine monohydrate once or twice a season. Cyclists tend to avoid it because there is a potential for weight gain. I take less than the reccomended, weightlifter dose and have not experienced any noticeable change in the scale.

Subjectively I feel stronger for a week or two. Most likely it is all in my head. Last I looked, there is not many studies that support using it in endurance sports. It may help with sprints and short interval work. On the plus side, it is cheap and established enough to relatively safe.

Caffeine is well established as a erogenic aid. There are heaps of studies that support its use in endurance activities.

I also take an Omega3, fish oil, supplement. The pess seems to support its use - but it is hard to find unbiased data.

Originally Posted by maydog
I also take an Omega3, fish oil, supplement. The pess seems to support its use - but it is hard to find unbiased data.
I have heard good things about Omega3 as well being good for a bunch of stuff but also supposedly helping reduce inflammation and facilitating VO2 max improvement, but I prefer a good old can of King Oscar Sardines packed in oil. They're low in mercury as sardines are far from the apex unlike other fish high in Omega3 (salmon and tuna) so not worried about regular consumption and they don't have any of that nasty smell common to some supplementary forms.

Potential data aside they are also tasty and a good source of protein.

I tried the Bumblebee skinned and boneless version but they were downright nasty.

I'll second the creatine. There is some weight gain. I'm 175lbs on it and 172lbs off it, but that will depend entirely upon how much muscle mass you already have (it causes your muscles to absorb water). There is a noticable strength increase while on it (at least while weight lifting), but I think the gains while cycling are going to be limited to short, high effort work. You might be able to go a little harder in a sprint and charge up a hill, but it's certainly not going to improve endurance or sustainable power output. However, it IS good for something and has proven, noticable results, which puts it head and shoulders above 99% of other suppliments.