any guesses why Pantani's team is riding?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mike S., May 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike S.

Mike S. Guest

I'm watching the Giro on OLN right now, and Pantani's team is riding on a flat stage! WTF? Since
    Pantani isn't a sprinter, what are they thinking?

Mike

Tags:

2. Mike S. <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws [email protected]
    > I'm watching the Giro on OLN right now, and Pantani's team is riding on a flat stage! WTF? Since
    > Pantani isn't a sprinter, what are they thinking?

Some people call it 'taking responsibility', but I can think of a few reasons. Perhaps Pantani has
    an understanding with other GC hopefuls and some sprinters. Perhaps this understanding includes
    monetary compensation for the team. Another reason could be psychological: by letting his team work,
    he's showing that they have faith in their leader. Perhaps it's Pantani's way of letting the others
    know how good he feels, and telling other riders that he's still an important factor. There is also
    a strategical advantage: when Garzelli attacked today, the first to respond was Simoni, but Pantani
    came immediately after that (and very quickly, too). He is still good friends with Garzelli, so
    Mercatone's work might be for him, too.

Pantani has a better team working for him than the last two giros, even though his team in 2001 was
    theoretically better - with people like Mondini, Mason, Velo, Borgheresi and perhaps even Astarloa
    (can't remember). The current team really seem to want to make him succeed in spite of the criticism
    he gave them a couple of days ago, which I didn't understand. Apparently it's been smoothed out.
    Conti and Codol are working really hard, and it's been a while since we saw a teammate of Pantani
    setting the pace at the start of a climb.

Jonathan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.