Any heart monitors that do more than just beats/min?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by mikem, Jan 4, 2009.

1. mikem

mikem New Member

Anyone know of any heart rate monitors that will detected irregular heart rates? Basically, more than just min/max bpm stuff, I would like to be alerted if there's a skipped beat or irregular pattern over time. Potentially, I'd like to download data to the PC and look at it there. Doesn't have to be a real EKG output of course, but it seems trivial that if there is BEAT PAUSE BEAT PAUSE BEAT PAUSE PAUSE BEAT that it could be recorded on a time line and downloaded (similar to an EKG but without the full sinus wave recorded).

Tags:

2. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

I don't think any cycling related doohicky does that BUT if you have an irregular heartbeat, you need to have a cardiologist look at it.

I had an episode of irregular and rapid heartbeat(atrial fibrilation, sp?)) that lasted about 24 hours, prolonged irregular heartbeats like mine can cause valve damage after about 36 hours. After they made it stop(drugs, just before they shocked me, like 'clear' and paddles, just like TV but you are asleep and it really hurts afterward-but my 'converted'), I wore a monitor for 24 hours and had a nuclear stress test-BUT if it happens all the time, you need to see somebody.

3. scuppy

scuppy New Member

I have a long Q-T and the cardio technician had to do the ecg a few times to be sure, so it cant be that easy to detect. Also what manufacturer would want to be sued because their monitor didnt detect a heart irregularity when they said it could.