Any ideas for a first bike

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Talamasca, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Talamasca

    Talamasca Guest

    haven't riden for about 25 years, but want to get started again for fun and health.
    P.S.I always sucked at shifting gears, any auto shifters out there or no more than 5 speeds

    Tags:

  2. Talamasca <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Mon, 9 Dec 2002 17:47:09 UTC

    -> I always sucked at shifting gears, any auto shifters out there or -> no more than 5 speeds ->

    shifting is easier these days with indexing. you may want to borrow or rent a current bike before
    you discount that option. if you are in flatlands there would be no harm in a single speed but
    having gearing options will make hills easier and speed more fun.

    --
    I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
    [email protected]

  3. scottieski

    scottieski Guest

    Try a single speed if gears are a problem and you are looking for a good workout. There are a number
    of different manufacturers to choose from.

  4. Jeb

    Jeb Guest

    On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 17:47:09 GMT, Talamasca <[email protected]> wrote:

    >haven't riden for about 25 years, but want to get started again for fun and health.
    >P.S.I always sucked at shifting gears, any auto shifters out there or no more than 5 speeds

    maybe pick up a used bike and ride it a while to help you decide what you want.

    learn to shift.

  5. Darsh

    Darsh Guest

    "Talamasca" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > haven't riden for about 25 years, but want to get started again for fun and health.
    > P.S.I always sucked at shifting gears, any auto shifters out there or no more than 5 speeds

    Don't get a singlespeed

    darsh

  6. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 17:47:09 GMT, Talamasca <[email protected]> wrote:

    >haven't riden for about 25 years, but want to get started again for fun and health.
    >P.S.I always sucked at shifting gears, any auto shifters out there or no more than 5 speeds

    Get up early on Saturday and look for the infomercial on the "Land Cruiser"

    Bill

    :-]

  7. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 17:47:09 GMT, Talamasca <[email protected]> wrote:

    >haven't riden for about 25 years, but want to get started again for fun and health.
    >P.S.I always sucked at shifting gears, any auto shifters out there or no more than 5 speeds

    Single Speeds Suck! Don't ever even entertain the thought. SS's are for simple minds....(me for
    instance) KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid.

    What you need is a complex bike. If you can't find the "Land Cruiser" I'd recommend a FS 27 speed
    with 10 inches of travel up front and 5 full inches in the rear (shut up Shaun).

    Then I'd get double sided disc for the front and back. I don't think they've come out yet but I'm
    sure the Hypemobile will have them soon....you can never have too much stopping power!

    Also maybe a small engine in case you bonk and you run out of your power bars or jell packs. Don't
    forget the proper clothes! Don't you dare hit the trails in sweats and a tee shirt, big no no!

    Oh yeah big tires, the bigger the better. Don't pay attention to the size written on the sidewalls
    just get the biggest, heaviest, brightest green suckers you can find. If you can't find any at your
    LBS go to a Motor Cycle shop and ask around.

    Oh yeah almost friggin' forgot. Get a 30 million dollar video cam set up and film yourself
    crashing.....It's really fun for us/me to watch.

    I'm not done yet!...

    After you've had your fun and you're experienced (kinda like Jimi) post some self serving bullshit
    to all the NG's you can find and tell everyone how good a rider you are and how much you know
    about bikes.

    And don't forget to power wash your bike with a 5000psi MTB special made power washer. Your MTB can
    never be too clean.

    Then when you finally come to your fscking senses, sell all that bullshyt and get a single speed. By
    that time they'll be out of vogue again.

    Now I am done.

    Bill(yes this really was me)Wheeler.

    :-]

  8. Peter R .

    Peter R . Guest

    On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 17:47:09 GMT, Talamasca <[email protected]> wrote:

    >haven't riden for about 25 years, but want to get started again for fun and health.
    >P.S.I always sucked at shifting gears, any auto shifters out there or no more than 5 speeds

    That would be a Titus Exogrid with a Rohloff speedhub then

    Happy hunting.

    Peter R.

  9. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Try a single speed if gears are a problem and you are looking for a good workout. There are a
    > number of different manufacturers to choose from.

    That bandwagon's a waitin', so jump onski. To the original poster, don't listen to duhski, he only
    rides sidewalks on huffys.

    JD

  10. Talamasca

    Talamasca Guest

    On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 10:40:36 -0800, JeB <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 17:47:09 GMT, Talamasca <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>haven't riden for about 25 years, but want to get started again for fun and health.
    >>P.S.I always sucked at shifting gears, any auto shifters out there or no more than 5 speeds
    >
    >maybe pick up a used bike and ride it a while to help you decide what you want.
    >
    >learn to shift.

    I can drive dual shift trucks, but even with all my trying bike gears kick my butt.

  11. Talamasca

    Talamasca Guest

    On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 21:23:57 -0500, Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 17:47:09 GMT, Talamasca <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>haven't riden for about 25 years, but want to get started again for fun and health.
    >>P.S.I always sucked at shifting gears, any auto shifters out there or no more than 5 speeds
    >
    >Get up early on Saturday and look for the infomercial on the "Land Cruiser"

    I saw that, but after 30 minutes they never mentioned a price and I got bored and switched to
    spongebob for the grandkids.

    >Bill
    >
    >The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
    >give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    >:-]

  12. Talamasca

    Talamasca Guest

    On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 21:48:17 -0500, Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 17:47:09 GMT, Talamasca <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>haven't riden for about 25 years, but want to get started again for fun and health.
    >>P.S.I always sucked at shifting gears, any auto shifters out there or no more than 5 speeds
    >
    >Single Speeds Suck! Don't ever even entertain the thought. SS's are for simple minds....(me for
    >instance) KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid.
    >
    >What you need is a complex bike. If you can't find the "Land Cruiser" I'd recommend a FS 27 speed
    >with 10 inches of travel up front and 5 full inches in the rear (shut up Shaun).
    >
    >Then I'd get double sided disc for the front and back. I don't think they've come out yet but I'm
    >sure the Hypemobile will have them soon....you can never have too much stopping power!
    >
    >Also maybe a small engine in case you bonk and you run out of your power bars or jell packs. Don't
    >forget the proper clothes! Don't you dare hit the trails in sweats and a tee shirt, big no no!
    >
    >Oh yeah big tires, the bigger the better. Don't pay attention to the size written on the sidewalls
    >just get the biggest, heaviest, brightest green suckers you can find. If you can't find any at your
    >LBS go to a Motor Cycle shop and ask around.
    >
    >Oh yeah almost friggin' forgot. Get a 30 million dollar video cam set up and film yourself
    >crashing.....It's really fun for us/me to watch.
    >
    >I'm not done yet!...
    >
    >After you've had your fun and you're experienced (kinda like Jimi) post some self serving bullshit
    >to all the NG's you can find and tell everyone how good a rider you are and how much you know
    >about bikes.
    >
    >And don't forget to power wash your bike with a 5000psi MTB special made power washer. Your MTB can
    >never be too clean.
    >

    >Then when you finally come to your fscking senses, sell all that bullshyt and get a single speed.
    >By that time they'll be out of vogue again.
    >

    >Now I am done.
    >
    >Bill(yes this really was me)Wheeler.
    >

    >The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
    >give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    >:-]

    Thanks for the sage advice.

    LOL

  13. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 17:47:09 GMT, Talamasca <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >haven't riden for about 25 years, but want to get started again for fun and health.
    > >P.S.I always sucked at shifting gears, any auto shifters out there or no more than 5 speeds
    >
    > Single Speeds Suck! Don't ever even entertain the thought. SS's are for simple minds....(me for
    > instance) KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid.
    >
    > What you need is a complex bike. If you can't find the "Land Cruiser" I'd recommend a FS 27 speed
    > with 10 inches of travel up front and 5 full inches in the rear (shut up Shaun).
    >
    > Then I'd get double sided disc for the front and back. I don't think they've come out yet but I'm
    > sure the Hypemobile will have them soon....you can never have too much stopping power!
    >
    > Also maybe a small engine in case you bonk and you run out of your power bars or jell packs. Don't
    > forget the proper clothes! Don't you dare hit the trails in sweats and a tee shirt, big no no!
    >
    > Oh yeah big tires, the bigger the better. Don't pay attention to the size written on the sidewalls
    > just get the biggest, heaviest, brightest green suckers you can find. If you can't find any at
    > your LBS go to a Motor Cycle shop and ask around.
    >
    > Oh yeah almost friggin' forgot. Get a 30 million dollar video cam set up and film yourself
    > crashing.....It's really fun for us/me to watch.
    >
    > I'm not done yet!...
    >
    > After you've had your fun and you're experienced (kinda like Jimi) post some self serving bullshit
    > to all the NG's you can find and tell everyone how good a rider you are and how much you know
    > about bikes.
    >
    > And don't forget to power wash your bike with a 5000psi MTB special made power washer. Your MTB
    > can never be too clean.
    >

    > Then when you finally come to your fscking senses, sell all that bullshyt and get a single speed.
    > By that time they'll be out of vogue again.
    >

    > Now I am done.
    >
    > Bill(yes this really was me)Wheeler.
    >

    > The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
    > give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    > :-]

    Excellent reply Bill. I didn't know you had it in ya' Good job!

    Dave (what he said, except that part about the singlespeed!)

  14. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > "Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 17:47:09 GMT, Talamasca <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > >haven't riden for about 25 years, but want to get started again for fun and health.
    > > >P.S.I always sucked at shifting gears, any auto shifters out there or no more than 5 speeds
    > >
    > > Single Speeds Suck! Don't ever even entertain the thought. SS's are for simple minds....(me for
    > > instance) KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid.
    > >
    > > What you need is a complex bike. If you can't find the "Land Cruiser" I'd recommend a FS 27
    > > speed with 10 inches of travel up front and 5 full inches in the rear (shut up Shaun).
    > >
    > > Then I'd get double sided disc for the front and back. I don't think they've come out yet but
    > > I'm sure the Hypemobile will have them soon....you can never have too much stopping power!
    > >
    > > Also maybe a small engine in case you bonk and you run out of your power bars or jell packs.
    > > Don't forget the proper clothes! Don't you dare hit the trails in sweats and a tee shirt, big
    > > no no!
    > >
    > > Oh yeah big tires, the bigger the better. Don't pay attention to the size written on the
    > > sidewalls just get the biggest, heaviest, brightest green suckers you can find. If you can't
    > > find any at your LBS go to a Motor Cycle shop and ask around.
    > >
    > > Oh yeah almost friggin' forgot. Get a 30 million dollar video cam set up and film yourself
    > > crashing.....It's really fun for us/me to watch.
    > >
    > > I'm not done yet!...
    > >
    > > After you've had your fun and you're experienced (kinda like Jimi) post some self serving
    > > bullshit to all the NG's you can find and tell everyone how good a rider you are and how much
    > > you know about bikes.
    > >
    > > And don't forget to power wash your bike with a 5000psi MTB special made power washer. Your MTB
    > > can never be too clean.
    > >

    > > Then when you finally come to your fscking senses, sell all that bullshyt and get a single
    > > speed. By that time they'll be out of vogue again.
    > >

    > > Now I am done.
    > >
    > > Bill(yes this really was me)Wheeler.
    > >

    > GD Bill! The guy was just looking for a first bike. Take it easy.
    >
    > Mike - He really wasn't like this before the SS.

    Just more of that SS uptightness! Sure glad I'm riding a smooth and easy 4.5/5 incher.
    --
    Slacker -

  15. Cameron

    Cameron Guest

    "Talamasca" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 10:40:36 -0800, JeB <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 17:47:09 GMT, Talamasca
    <[email protected]>
    > >wrote:
    > >
    > >>haven't riden for about 25 years, but want to get started again for fun and health.
    > >>P.S.I always sucked at shifting gears, any auto shifters out there or no more than 5 speeds
    > >
    > >maybe pick up a used bike and ride it a while to help you decide what you want.
    > >
    > >learn to shift.
    >
    > I can drive dual shift trucks, but even with all my trying bike gears kick my butt.

    Have you even tried some of the modern shifters? Such as the Gripshifter or Shimano's Rapid? Any
    half decent setup will give a good indexed shift. Why don't you go to your LBS and test ride a bike.

    --
    Cameron

  16. Dave H

    Dave H Guest

    "Talamasca" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 21:23:57 -0500, Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 17:47:09 GMT, Talamasca <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >>haven't riden for about 25 years, but want to get started again for fun and health.
    > >>P.S.I always sucked at shifting gears, any auto shifters out there or no more than 5 speeds
    > >
    > >Get up early on Saturday and look for the infomercial on the "Land Cruiser"
    >
    > I saw that, but after 30 minutes they never mentioned a price and I got bored and switched to
    > spongebob for the grandkids.

    Sure, for the grandkids. Whatever you have to tell yourself. ;)

    dave h

  17. Jeb

    Jeb Guest

    On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 04:43:34 GMT, Talamasca <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>haven't riden for about 25 years, but want to get started again for fun and health.
    >>>P.S.I always sucked at shifting gears, any auto shifters out there or no more than 5 speeds
    >>
    >>maybe pick up a used bike and ride it a while to help you decide what you want.
    >>
    >>learn to shift.
    >
    >I can drive dual shift trucks, but even with all my trying bike gears kick my butt.

    The indexed shifters work well when adjusted properly. Click and you're there. Like a dual shift
    truck ... you don't want to be full on the throttle during the process. And like the truck it's
    often helpful to shift before you HAVE to. Practice some and you'll like not grunting along in too
    high a gear or spinning along in one way too low. Not to mention the fun and health options you
    mention.... you'll be wondering WHY you let the 25 years go by.

    -jim

  18. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 04:44:25 GMT, Talamasca <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 21:23:57 -0500, Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 17:47:09 GMT, Talamasca <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>haven't riden for about 25 years, but want to get started again for fun and health.
    >>>P.S.I always sucked at shifting gears, any auto shifters out there or no more than 5 speeds
    >>
    >>Get up early on Saturday and look for the infomercial on the "Land Cruiser"
    >
    >I saw that, but after 30 minutes they never mentioned a price and I got bored and switched to
    >spongebob for the grandkids.
    SPONGE BOB RULES! I watch that with our without the kids.

    Thinking about getting a sponge bob mojo.

    Bill

    :-]

  19. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:48:50 -0500, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

    [snip rant]

    >Excellent reply Bill. I didn't know you had it in ya' Good job!
    I'm good for one every now and then.

    >Dave (what he said, except that part about the singlespeed!)

    Bill(Time for another Celeb Death Match)Wheeler.

    Peace

    :-]

  20. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 21:59:09 -0500, "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >GD Bill! The guy was just looking for a first bike. Take it easy.
    >
    >Mike - He really wasn't like this before the SS.

    Just needed a outburst. This is what not riding does to a person.

    :-]