Any ideas for a first bike

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 03:25:37 GMT, "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip my own rant]

>> GD Bill! The guy was just looking for a first bike. Take it easy.
>>
>> Mike - He really wasn't like this before the SS.
>
>Just more of that SS uptightness! Sure glad I'm riding a smooth and easy 4.5/5 incher.

Yeah, I'll admit it. I was slightly uptight when I wrote this...but I'm better now....really I am
better now. ;-)

Besides if this wasn't a Troll disguised as a Gee-I-Need-Good-First-Bike post then I'm
monkey's uncle.

:-]

Already got a t-shirt at the website. http://store.yahoo.com/spongebobstore/sponsquar5.html

>Bill
>

>The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
>give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
>:-]

> On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 03:25:37 GMT, "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [snip my own rant]
> >> >
> >> GD Bill! The guy was just looking for a first bike. Take it easy.
> >>
> >> Mike - He really wasn't like this before the SS.
> >
> >Just more of that SS uptightness! Sure glad I'm riding a smooth and easy
4.5/5 incher.

> Yeah, I'll admit it. I was slightly uptight when I wrote this...but I'm better now....really I am
> better now. ;-)
>
> Besides if this wasn't a Troll disguised as a Gee-I-Need-Good-First-Bike post then I'm
> monkey's uncle.

I didn't know you were related to Shauna R. ;-)

--
Cameron

On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 23:47:56 -0500, Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 03:25:37 GMT, "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>[snip my own rant]
>>> >
>>> GD Bill! The guy was just looking for a first bike. Take it easy.
>>>
>>> Mike - He really wasn't like this before the SS.
>>
>>Just more of that SS uptightness! Sure glad I'm riding a smooth and easy 4.5/5 incher.
>
>Yeah, I'll admit it. I was slightly uptight when I wrote this...but I'm better now....really I am
>better now. ;-)
>
>Besides if this wasn't a Troll disguised as a Gee-I-Need-Good-First-Bike post then I'm
>monkey's uncle.

Well then I guess you are a monkey's uncle. Cause I am really new to this group and am looking at
getting my first mountain bike. Did a search of usenet and thought this group would have the
answers. Like other groups it appears to also have selfrightous know-it-alls also. But then I did
find your post funny considering I didn't understand a third of what you were talking about.

"Talamasca" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
> Well then I guess you are a monkey's uncle. Cause I am really new to this group and am looking at
> getting my first mountain bike. Did a search of usenet and thought this group would have the
> answers. Like other groups it appears to also have selfrightous know-it-alls also. But then I did
> find your post funny considering I didn't understand a third of what you were talking about.

hang in there... amidst the smartasses and comedians you will get some good advice. But be aware
that in general, the group as a whole looks down on cheap simplistic bikes.... such as auto shifts,
things named after cars, and bikes from big box discount stores. Ultimately any advice you are given
is for your own good: we want you to get a decent piece of equipment that you can really have fun on
and that won't break.

Penny

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:49:15 GMT, Talamasca <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Besides if this wasn't a Troll disguised as a Gee-I-Need-Good-First-Bike post then I'm
>>monkey's uncle.
Let me start swinging from limb to limb.

Peace, Bill

>Well then I guess you are a monkey's uncle. Cause I am really new to this group and am looking at
>getting my first mountain bike. Did a search of usenet and thought this group would have the
>answers. Like other groups it appears to also have selfrightous know-it-alls also. But then I did
>find your post funny considering I didn't understand a third of what you were talking about.
You will .... stick around. Bill

:-]

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:16:38 -0800, "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Talamasca" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
>> Well then I guess you are a monkey's uncle. Cause I am really new to this group and am looking at
>> getting my first mountain bike. Did a search of usenet and thought this group would have the
>> answers. Like other groups it appears to also have selfrightous know-it-alls also. But then I did
>> find your post funny considering I didn't understand a third of what you were talking about.
>

>hang in there... amidst the smartasses and comedians you will get some good advice. But be aware
>that in general, the group as a whole looks down on cheap simplistic bikes.... such as auto shifts,
>things named after cars, and bikes from big box discount stores. Ultimately any advice you are
>given is for your own good: we want you to get a decent piece of equipment that you can really have
>fun on and that won't break.
>
>Penny

Nurture, nurture, nurture....you're so kind and nice.

bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
:-]

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:16:38 -0800, "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Talamasca" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
>> Well then I guess you are a monkey's uncle. Cause I am really new to this group and am looking at
>> getting my first mountain bike. Did a search of usenet and thought this group would have the
>> answers. Like other groups it appears to also have selfrightous know-it-alls also. But then I did
>> find your post funny considering I didn't understand a third of what you were talking about.
>

>hang in there... amidst the smartasses and comedians you will get some good advice. But be aware
>that in general, the group as a whole looks down on cheap simplistic bikes.... such as auto shifts,
>things named after cars, and bikes from big box discount stores. Ultimately any advice you are
>given is for your own good: we want you to get a decent piece of equipment that you can really have
>fun on and that won't break.
>
>Penny

My problem is that after getting out of the military I was so disgusted with big city life I moved
to small town in the woods Arkansas. Around here the Wal-Mart is big store. I think the nearest
decent bike store is about 67 miles down the road. Not trusting enough to buy online.

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 19:49:43 -0500, Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:49:15 GMT, Talamasca <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>>Besides if this wasn't a Troll disguised as a Gee-I-Need-Good-First-Bike post then I'm
>>>monkey's uncle.
>Let me start swinging from limb to limb.
>
>Peace, Bill
No problem, I know about trolls.

>>Well then I guess you are a monkey's uncle. Cause I am really new to this group and am looking at
>>getting my first mountain bike. Did a search of usenet and thought this group would have the
>>answers. Like other groups it appears to also have selfrightous know-it-alls also. But then I did
>>find your post funny considering I didn't understand a third of what you were talking about.
>You will .... stick around. Bill
>

>The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
>give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
>:-]

Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:49:15 GMT, Talamasca <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >>Besides if this wasn't a Troll disguised as a Gee-I-Need-Good-First-Bike post then I'm monkey's
> >>uncle.
> Let me start swinging from limb to limb.
>
> Peace, Bill

Dammit, Bill - with all this crow-eating, I'd think you'd be full by now. First disks, now broken
troll-o-meter - we'll have to kick you out for not being right all the time, no matter what the
evidence, if you admit you are wrong JUST ONE MORE TIME.

Consider yourself warned.

Spider

> On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:16:38 -0800, "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"Talamasca" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
> >> Well then I guess you are a monkey's uncle. Cause I am really new to this group and am looking
> >> at getting my first mountain bike. Did a search of usenet and thought this group would have the
> >> answers. Like other groups it appears to also have selfrightous know-it-alls also. But then I
> >> did find your post funny considering I didn't understand a third of what you were talking
> >> about.
> >

> >hang in there... amidst the smartasses and comedians you will get some
good
> >advice. But be aware that in general, the group as a whole looks down
on
> >cheap simplistic bikes.... such as auto shifts, things named after cars,
and
> >bikes from big box discount stores. Ultimately any advice you are given
is
> >for your own good: we want you to get a decent piece of equipment that
you
> >can really have fun on and that won't break.
> >
> >Penny
> >
> Nurture, nurture, nurture....you're so kind and nice.

would you shut up already?

> bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
> should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
> :-]

> > Nurture, nurture, nurture....you're so kind and nice.
> >
> > bill

> would you shut up already?
>
> Penny

ROTFLMAO....Now that's classic!
--
Slacker

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 23:43:33 -0500, "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I took a look at some Schwinn's at Walmart today.

Just stick the knife in and turn it why don't you?!

So sad the way Schwinn played out. What a fabulous bike maker.

R.I.P.The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
:-]

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 23:43:33 -0500, "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Talamasca" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:p[email protected]...
>> My problem is that after getting out of the military I was so disgusted with big city life I
>> moved to small town in the woods Arkansas. Around here the Wal-Mart is big store. I think the
>> nearest decent bike store is about 67 miles down the road. Not trusting enough to buy online.
>
>I took a look at some Schwinn's at Walmart today. While they are better quality than most of the
>other bikes they've been selling the setup on them is downright scary! One had the brake lever
>adjuster barrels totally unscrewed or hanging on by a thread. (I didn't leave them like that)
>Unless you are a fair bicycle mechanic and can properly setup these bikes you're taking your
>life in your hands riding one of them straight out of the store. I'd drive the 67 miles for
>something better.
>
>Mike

I found a place in Little Rock. About a 3 hour drive but probably worth it to get something
worthwhile.

> "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > >
> > > Nurture, nurture, nurture....you're so kind and nice.
> >
> > would you shut up already?
> >

> Gettin' kinda creepy isn't it? Can you get a restraining order in a NG?
>
> Mike

Sheesh, I'm glad he's not one of us, but one of *them*
--
Slacker

> "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > >
> > > Nurture, nurture, nurture....you're so kind and nice.
> >
> > would you shut up already?
> >

> Gettin' kinda creepy isn't it? Can you get a restraining order in a NG?
>
> Mike

are you kidding, you'd have r.b.o.r. then...

Dave (not to get within 5000 miles of the defendant!)

> "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > >
> > > Nurture, nurture, nurture....you're so kind and nice.
> >
> > would you shut up already?
> >

> Gettin' kinda creepy isn't it? Can you get a restraining order in a NG?
>
> Mike

Don't think so. But you might get a judge to order an injunction banning her from posting till the
(her) issues are resolved.

--
Cameron

"Jonathan Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Gettin' kinda creepy isn't it? Can you get a restraining order in a NG?
>
> Nah, you can pretty much stalk someone over the 'net without too much hassle. It's when you start
> turning up on their doorsteps, with flowers covered in pig's blood, that they call the police. And
> then they give you this warning, but you've not been formally charged, so you go back to peek
> through the windows and stuff. Which is ok until the husband comes out in his boxer shorts with a
> baseball bat and chases you until the police turn up. And then the filth jump on you and 'cuff
> you, and you end up in the cells for a night, before going to court. That's generally when the
> restraining orders come in to play, IME.

getting a restraining order for looking out of a window, after being gratuitously assaulted by a
half-naked man? What kind of a crazy country do you live in? Oh yes, Germany....