Any ideas? Need to replace stolen Look KG461 Jalabert

jfrancl

Aug 23, 2004
I recently had my Look KG 461 Jalabert edition stolen. I'd been riding it since 2003 and I've been struggling to narrow down all the options into a manageable list.

Anybody have ideas?

I'm 6'4" and 215-220 pounds ... still recovering from knee surgery in late 2009 ... will get under 210 pounds at some point but I'll always be a large rider.

I'm not going to ride competitively in the near future. I ride with various good/experienced cyclists and live in San Francisco, so have to deal with hills on a daily basis.

On balance, I'd rather a more "comfortable" and "stable" bike than a more "aggressive" bike. I'm getting some insurance recovery for the theft and have a healthy budget (say $5k).

Any ideas would be appreciated and any comments on the various options.

Thanks!

vspa

Jan 11, 2009
i like SCOTT bikes, for no special reason.
with a $5000 budget you can go directly to the top of the line stuff !

swampy1970

Feb 3, 2008
Originally Posted by jfrancl .

I recently had my Look KG 461 Jalabert edition stolen. I'd been riding it since 2003 and I've been struggling to narrow down all the options into a manageable list.

Anybody have ideas?

I'm 6'4" and 215-220 pounds ... still recovering from knee surgery in late 2009 ... will get under 210 pounds at some point but I'll always be a large rider.

I'm not going to ride competitively in the near future. I ride with various good/experienced cyclists and live in San Francisco, so have to deal with hills on a daily basis.

On balance, I'd rather a more "comfortable" and "stable" bike than a more "aggressive" bike. I'm getting some insurance recovery for the theft and have a healthy budget (say $5k).

Any ideas would be appreciated and any comments on the various options.

Thanks!

If you're looking for more in the way of comfort than pure speed then you could take a look at the Cannondale Synapse or Specialized Roubaix. For $5K you should be able to pick up a Synapse Hi-Mod or S-Works Roubaix if you shop around. The Scott CR-1 and Cervelo RS are also very nice bikes that are geared towards giving the lower back an easier time - the Cervelo RS was used not only at Roubaix by the Cervelo team but a few of the riders used the RS frame during the big Grand Tours to.

There's plenty of closeout sales on last years models...

I found that the more race orientated Cannondale SuperSix Hi-Mod also offers a comfortable position if so desired, out of the box. Comfort and near telepathic handling. Laterally stiffer than 2 tons of granite but so comfy on long rides... so comfy...

dhk2

Aug 8, 2006
Suggest you also look at titanium and steel bikes. With a 5-large budget, you could have a Lynskey Ti nicely set up, or a SOMA or other custom steel frame made in CA. For your size and weight and application, I'd want a strong frame and wheels with at least 25mm tires, and lots of low gears. Nothing wrong with the mass-produced asian CF race bikes of course, but I'd pick something a bit more unique and build it tailored for you.

vspa

Jan 11, 2009
also why not stay with LOOK, checkout their recent models,

jfrancl

Aug 23, 2004
Thanks for all the helpful comments thus far!

To dhk2, I grew up riding steel frames, but the hills around San Francisco have pushed me into lighter materials. I haven't considered Ti but I'll check out your Lynskey recommendation.