Any ideas?

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:50:32 +0000 (UTC), "Richard Baker"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20040909.p.Digital_Compass

Looks like a gimmick to me, I can only see disadvantages (like
batteries failing) over its cheaper analogue counterpart.

In article <[email protected]>, Richard Baker
<[email protected]> writes
>http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20040909.p.Digital_Compass

I would not be interested in a digital compass (even though I am a gear
addict and like my techno toys - stop right there Judith, no wasp
implied ;-) because they seem to miss the point.

The magnetic part of a compass is only really useful if you have a
bearing to follow or a way to relate that bearing (e.g. taken from a
sight) to the map. Normal (Silva, Suunto etc.) walking compasses have
the protractor built into the base so that they can easily be used with
the map to read or display bearings. Without that ability a compass has
limited use...

--

Dominic Sexton
http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:50:32 +0000 (UTC), "Richard Baker"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20040909.p.Digital_Compass
>
> Looks like a gimmick to me, I can only see disadvantages (like
> batteries failing) over its cheaper analogue counterpart.

....add things like excessive weight, (presumed) inability to take bearings
to/from a map, dubious accuracy (LCD display accuracy limits the ability to
ensure correct alignment, rather than the far superior human eye
limitations), and necessity to set & calibrate, it becomes a very
heavy/expensive thermometer.

I guess it's a nice shade of orange, though.

Richard Baker wrote:
> http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20040909.p.Digital_Compass

Contains the word "digital", so is therefore good.

c.f. "a planet where the ape-descended life forms are so amazingly
primitive they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea"

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"Richard Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20040909.p.Digital_Compass

> Rik

similar cheap digital compasses i've seen have a wonderful power save
function - after say 2 minutes, the display stays on, but the 'needle' does
not register any movement, so you can be heading due north, turn through
ninety degrees and it will still say true north - I anticipate that being
just a minor problem

Mike
www.mikes-walks.co.uk