Any ideas?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Richard Baker, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:50:32 +0000 (UTC), "Richard Baker"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20040909.p.Digital_Compass

    Looks like a gimmick to me, I can only see disadvantages (like
    batteries failing) over its cheaper analogue counterpart.

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Richard Baker
    <[email protected]> writes
    >http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20040909.p.Digital_Compass

    I would not be interested in a digital compass (even though I am a gear
    addict and like my techno toys - stop right there Judith, no wasp
    implied ;-) because they seem to miss the point.

    The magnetic part of a compass is only really useful if you have a
    bearing to follow or a way to relate that bearing (e.g. taken from a
    sight) to the map. Normal (Silva, Suunto etc.) walking compasses have
    the protractor built into the base so that they can easily be used with
    the map to read or display bearings. Without that ability a compass has
    limited use...

    --

    Dominic Sexton
    http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:50:32 +0000 (UTC), "Richard Baker"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20040909.p.Digital_Compass
    >
    > Looks like a gimmick to me, I can only see disadvantages (like
    > batteries failing) over its cheaper analogue counterpart.

    ....add things like excessive weight, (presumed) inability to take bearings
    to/from a map, dubious accuracy (LCD display accuracy limits the ability to
    ensure correct alignment, rather than the far superior human eye
    limitations), and necessity to set & calibrate, it becomes a very
    heavy/expensive thermometer.

    I guess it's a nice shade of orange, though.

  4. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Richard Baker wrote:
    > http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20040909.p.Digital_Compass

    Contains the word "digital", so is therefore good.

    c.f. "a planet where the ape-descended life forms are so amazingly
    primitive they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea"

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Richard Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20040909.p.Digital_Compass

    > Rik

    similar cheap digital compasses i've seen have a wonderful power save
    function - after say 2 minutes, the display stays on, but the 'needle' does
    not register any movement, so you can be heading due north, turn through
    ninety degrees and it will still say true north - I anticipate that being
    just a minor problem

    Mike
    www.mikes-walks.co.uk

  6. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Richard Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20040909.p.Digital_Compass

    > Rik

    similar cheap digital compasses i've seen have a wonderful power save
    function - after say 2 minutes, the display stays on, but the 'needle' does
    not register any movement, so you can be heading due north, turn through
    ninety degrees and it will still say true north - I anticipate that being
    just a minor problem

    Mike
    www.mikes-walks.co.uk

  7. Roos Eisma