Any Kloden News?

Klodifan

Aug 26, 2006
So, with the current state of affairs, when will he be announcing his retirement?

Klodifan said:
So, with the current state of affairs, when will he be announcing his retirement?
Klodifan lives!! Are you ignoring us on purpose? Or are you just busy? ;)

Klodifan said:
Good to see you back Klodigirl.

Andreas' German fan sites are all asking the same question. Obviously with the team machinations its hard to know what's going on. And Klodi hasn't blogged on his web-site since last year.

He's only 32, but when is he going to get a chance to lead a team?

Hi gang! :)

Im not ignoring you guys. Im just really behind on all the posts. There are so many tangents in conversation that by the time I read them its onto other things. Before yesterday, I had not stopped by in weeks. Plus, I have more responsibility at work which means less time to catch up. Lastly, professional cycling sucks :p

coincidentally there was a story tonight in cyclingnews on Klodi.

Klöden also waiting for back pay

Andreas Klöden has joined the chorus of Team Astana riders who is looking for his back pay. "I haven't received any money since August," he told German sports tabloid Sportbild. "If nothing happens by Christmas, we will go to the UCI. Astana has paid a bank guarantee there, out of which we can be paid. That money is due to us. We have fulfilled our contracts and showed very good results. We can't be held responsible for the mistakes of others."

Various riders from the 2007 Astana team have claimed that they have not been paid their salaries for the last few months. Meanwhile, incoming General Manager Johan Bruyneel has told Cyclingnews that he is working with the sponsors and the UCI to correct the situation.
In Astana colours next season?

Nevertheless, the 2008 Astana roster has yet to be made official, and the name of the 2006 Tour de France runner-up still has to appear on the list of riders that must be sent to the UCI by December 15. At the moment, the team has too many riders with a valid contract coming from the 2007 management of the Astana team. Klöden said that he assumed he will ride for the team again in 2008. "Why not? I have a valid contract," he said. "Bruyneel spoke with me in the beginning of November and is interested in me." Thinking of the team strategy for the next Tour de France, where he would then work for Astana's leader Alberto Contador, Klöden added, "We know that it is better at the Tour de France to have a variety of possibilities. That makes a team more difficult to figure out."

Speaking of various former teammates, he said that he stayed in touch with Jan Ullrich. "We are friends," he explained. "Jan is underway a lot right now, but when we are both home, then we get together regularly." He didn't have that same contact with Alexander Vinokourov. "I have heard that he lives with his family in Kazakhstan again and wants to open a big training center in Astana," he added.

With his former sponsor Deutsche Telekom pulling out of the sport with immediate effect - another blow for German cycling after an already restless season, Klöden said that at the moment, "things look sad for cycling. But we must pull ourselves together to bring in positive headlines for our sport. We must put an end to its destruction."

I think it is fair to say now that any chance Kloden has of winning the Tour is gone. He can pretend like this year that the team will go to the tour with several potential leaders and the strongest will be assume the leadership, but it is not going to happen. Bryneel's new pet will get the support until he falters and if that happens it will be too late for Klodi.

We can write off next year and that only leaves 2009 where he will be within the age cutoff to win.

Bro Deal said:
I think it is fair to say now that any chance Kloden has of winning the Tour is gone. He can pretend like this year that the team will go to the tour with several potential leaders and the strongest will be assume the leadership, but it is not going to happen. Bryneel's new pet will get the support until he falters and if that happens it will be too late for Klodi.

We can write off next year and that only leaves 2009 where he will be within the age cutoff to win.
I totallay agree. I read the bit and thought, "give me a break". No one is going to be fooled regarding astana's strategy... all out for the golden boy. Why does kloden even make such remarks? I can only assume he just doenst have it in him to stake claim in a captain's role or he hasn't been able to see any other offers come to fruition and he is making the best out of a difficult situation... being stuck with astana.

I'm a little confused, why would Bruyneel hesitate about giving this rider a contract. He has shown many times that he will ride in a team situation both at Astana and T Mobile.

plectrum said:
I'm a little confused, why would Bruyneel hesitate about giving this rider a contract. He has shown many times that he will ride in a team situation both at Astana and T Mobile.
Kloden has a contract through 2008, so I dont thing Bruyneel has a choice.

Kloden has worked well when on a team with friends like Ullrich and Vino. Whether he will feel good about supporting Contador and Leipheimer, who knows.

He should be ******. It looked like Astana's 2007 season was supposed to be devoted to winning the Tour for Vino, and that would have left Kloden 2008 and maybe 2009 before Kash took over. Now Klodi is boned.

Bro Deal said:

Kloden has worked well when on a team with friends like Ullrich and Vino. Whether he will feel good about supporting Contador and Leipheimer, who knows.

He should be ******. It looked like Astana's 2007 season was supposed to be devoted to winning the Tour for Vino, and that would have left Kloden 2008 and maybe 2009 before Kash took over. Now Klodi is boned.
Careful with that last word Bro, I'd really hate to see you cop another ban.
biggrin.gif

All of the payment will get resolved this I have no doubt but I still am confused as to why Klodan would not be seen as a 100% asset to Team Bruyneel.

If Vino hadn't busted his knees Astana were odds on favorites to win individual TdF and I am sure would have put a real good show of team title too. Even after Vino crashed and gashed, Kloden showed is individual merits by pushing hard for the indi' title (with a fractured butt) before Astana were pulled.

As Bruyneel has showed on countless times, although main priority of TdF is too wine the individual title, they are also very much a team performance side. Klodan surely with his all round ability and extremely strong TT performances would be a clear asset. I presume Bruyneel feels he has Leipheimer as his all rounder but I am not sure he is in the same cycling league as Klodan.

Maybe someone should start a new team, bribe for a license and build it around Klodan for yellow with Rasmussen in for the polka dots! :D

Bro Deal said:

Isn't Kloden's contract with Biver and not Bruyneel?

Agree that Kloden should be majorely ******? I still think we're going to see him on a continental team next year and not Astana.

earth_dweller said:
Isn't Kloden's contract with Biver and not Bruyneel?
I don't know. You would think the owner of ProTour license and the entity responsible for signing rider contracts would be one and the same, so it would not matter. But the way cycling is organized looks pretty farked up, so who knows.

I thought that T-Mobile would have stayed if Zabel would have rejoined the team. I wonder the possibility of Klodi joining instead was on the table.

Bro Deal said:
I don't know. You would think the owner of ProTour license and the entity responsible for signing rider contracts would be one and the same, so it would not matter. But the way cycling is organized looks pretty farked up, so who knows.

I thought that T-Mobile would have stayed if Zabel would have rejoined the team. I wonder the possibility of Klodi joining instead was on the table.
IMO he needs the juice. He ain't spending the final 3 years of his career riding without team doctor help at 20% below par just because he loves to rotate his feet around the bottom bracket.

The soap opera continues...

according to velo-club.net (which bases it story on an 'official' astana pr):

After statements made by Johan Bruyneel, the Astana Cycling team represented by the Swiss company Zeus Sàrl managed by Marc Biver felt compelled to rectify certain facts.
Zeus Sàrl never received the official termination of its contract, whose term runs to 2010, from the Kazakhstan Cycling Federation (FCK).

Totally false and outrageous statements with respect to the company Zeus Sàrl were made recently by Mr. Bruyneel. Zeus LLC can not be held responsible for the non-payment of salaries of its riders and its entire staff, since its funding comes solely from funds paid by the FCK. Funds that the latter refused to pay since September 2007.

earth_dweller said:
Zeus Sàrl never received the official termination of its contract, whose term runs to 2010, from the Kazakhstan Cycling Federation (FCK).
FCK? I thought that's what Vino said when he was busted.

Maybe they could get Eddie Merckx as the official bike sponsor. Then they could be known as FCK EM.