Any ladies tried Trek female bikes?



Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maureen

Guest
I am thinking of buying one of the lady specific Trek road bikes this summer and wondered if anyone
had any experience of them. Specifically, is it worth going for a specialised ladies bike, or is
there not that much difference.

I have a Dawes Audax at the moment but ever since I first got it, I have felt slightly too stretched
out and this is what is making me consider a lady specific bike.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Maureen
 
W

Wafflycathcsdir

Guest
The only female specific bike I have is my hybrid. My road bike - Bianchi San Remo is a "man's"
frame, but it is still comfortable to ride. Took a bit of getting used to riding with drops (still
prefer straight bars) but it is overall, a comfortable bike for me, even though not female specific.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!

Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
~~~~~~~~~~
 
T

T I M

Guest
On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:02:07 -0000, "Maureen" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I am thinking of buying one of the lady specific Trek road bikes this summer and wondered if anyone
>had any experience of them. Specifically, is it worth going for a specialised ladies bike, or is
>there not that much difference.
>
>I have a Dawes Audax at the moment but ever since I first got it, I have felt slightly too
>stretched out and this is what is making me consider a lady specific bike.
>
>Thanks in advance for any info.
>
>Maureen
>
Hi Maureen,

Not sure this is an answer to you question but my Missus has been riding an old Trek 'Antelope' 800
(I think it is) for about 10 years now and she loves it. ;-)

We built it at Trek out of oddments and returns and it has been all over the place, often quite
heavily loaded. It currently has some cheap RST suspension forks and comfey saddle (our Daughter
calls it a 'mushroom' ) as she has a bad back. ;-(

We mainly ride tracks and trails so it gets a fairly hard life but seems to cope?

All the best ..

T i m
 
R

Roger Fretwell

Guest
Hi Maureen,

My partner is on her second Trek. She bought a 2000 WSD originally and loved it, so she bought a
2300 WSD last year as a present to herself. She had a custom Roberts before the Treks which still
sees winter service, but she is always keen for summer to arrive and to swap over to the Trek.

The Treks are especially good for her because she is quite small, and the 650c wheels on the smaller
Treks make it possible to build a much better proportioned bike than, for instance, using 700c
wheels on her Roberts. They also fit shorter cranks, narrower bars and a woman's saddle to produce a
very well rounded package.

So the answer to your question from my partner is a resounding yes, the Trek WSD road bikes have
made all the difference for her. Of course women are not all identically proportioned and your needs
may be different, but I would try and get a test ride on one of the Treks, because they work well
for a lot of women.

Regards, Roger Fretwell

"Maureen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am thinking of buying one of the lady specific Trek road bikes this
summer
> and wondered if anyone had any experience of them. Specifically, is it worth going for a
> specialised ladies bike, or is there not that much difference.
>
> I have a Dawes Audax at the moment but ever since I first got it, I have felt slightly too
> stretched out and this is what is making me consider a lady specific bike.
>
> Thanks in advance for any info.
>
> Maureen
 
M

Maureen

Guest
"Roger Fretwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi Maureen,
>
> My partner is on her second Trek. She bought a 2000 WSD originally and loved it, so she bought a
> 2300 WSD last year as a present to herself. She had a custom Roberts before the Treks which still
> sees winter service, but she is always keen for summer to arrive and to swap over to the Trek.
>
> The Treks are especially good for her because she is quite small, and the 650c wheels on the
> smaller Treks make it possible to build a much better proportioned bike than, for instance, using
> 700c wheels on her Roberts. They also fit shorter cranks, narrower bars and a woman's saddle to
produce
> a very well rounded package.
>
> So the answer to your question from my partner is a resounding yes, the
Trek
> WSD road bikes have made all the difference for her. Of course women are not all identically
> proportioned and your needs may be different, but I would try and get a test ride on one of the
> Treks, because they work well for a lot of women.
>
> Regards, Roger Fretwell

Roger,

Thanks a lot. It is the 2300 WSD I am seriously considering. Like your wife, I am quite short and
I`m pretty sure the female specific geometry should be better suited to me. I have read a few
reports on the female Trek bikes and they have all sounded good - just have to speak nicely to the
bank manager now (-;

Maureen
 
S

Stuart Stebbing

Guest
"Maureen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<3e73071f$0$15318$>
> Roger,
>
> Thanks a lot. It is the 2300 WSD I am seriously considering. Like your wife, I am quite short and
> I`m pretty sure the female specific geometry should be better suited to me. I have read a few
> reports on the female Trek bikes and they have all sounded good - just have to speak nicely to the
> bank manager now (-;
>
> Maureen

Before you decide, think about a custom built frame. My missus & I went to Mercian Cycles in Derby.
She is only 5 foot tall. They built her a beautiful steel frame with 650c wheels short top tube etc
etc. The workmanship is fantastic. Frame and forks were about £600. We built it up with a Dura-Ace /
Ultegra mix, with lovely handbuilt wheels for about £1300. It weighs less than 18lbs.

http://www.btinternet.com/~merciancycleslimited/

This site isn't Mercian's, but shows the workmanship
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British/Mercian_main.htm
 
Status
Not open for further replies.