Any "legal" aids to recovery ?

1. Protein after ride muscle building blocks
2. Vitamin C for repair and it is a precursor to creatine
3. Vitamin D precursor to steroids
4. Swings, windmills, gardening or some other vigorous bending down exercise to get oxygenated blood to the pituitary gland in your head to increase HGH.

@ dhk2 Never mixte protein prowder with skim milk. Mix with it orange juice, is the best deal.

There's certains rule for recovery, decent multi-vitamin shall be on the top. I won't ******** anybody here but, the majority of multi-vitamins, the body doesn't absorbe more than 10-15%, the best deal is Usana with a absorption rate of 95%.

The 30mins windows, you have to refill your stock within 30min, the best deal is a recovery drink, follow by a recovery meal. What you eat depend of the ride, the weeks and what you're doing.

Other meal after 1h30 later, complete one this time. It's hard to tell, many thing can change.

Dunno if anyone is still reading this but here's a bit of an update. Started training harder like daveryanwyoming suggested and also started taking a protein/creatine drink as soon as i finish my training spins and the last week or so it actually feels as if it's paying off, have more energy on the bike and can push myself harder, hence my average speed has also gone up and my legs aren't getting as tired as quick as they used to and i'm recovering better and quicker. So thanks for all the help guys, only thing is i'm wondering will i start going backwards so to speak if i stop taking the protein ?:confused:

EasyDoesIt said:
Dunno if anyone is still reading this but here's a bit of an update. Started training harder like daveryanwyoming suggested and also started taking a protein/creatine drink as soon as i finish my training spins and the last week or so it actually feels as if it's paying off, have more energy on the bike and can push myself harder, hence my average speed has also gone up and my legs aren't getting as tired as quick as they used to and i'm recovering better and quicker. So thanks for all the help guys, only thing is i'm wondering will i start going backwards so to speak if i stop taking the protein ?:confused:
I think you misunderstood the comment about vitamin c being a precursor to creatine by a previous poster. While it's true that phospho-creatine at the cellular level aids in the creation of ATP, which is our primary source of energy for muscle contractions, I think you're probably taking the supplement creatine monohydrate. It's the stuff bodybuilders use to increase strength and won't do much for recovery or endurance performance, and will probably impair endurance and your power at threshold. (donning my flame retardant suit for the pro-creatine onslaught)

Also, I think the idea of a post-workout recovery drink is not really to have a drink that's high in protein, but to consume something with plenty of carbs that can be absorbed quickly...ie, high glycemic index, to replenish the glycogen stores you used when you were riding. Adding protein to the mix is supposed to aid in glycogen synthesis. There are some pre-mix drinks out there that have the recommended 4:1 carb/protein ratio that is supposed to be ideal, or you can do what I do and take a couple cups of orange juice, add a handful of frozen blueberries, a handful of frozen strawberries, some vanilla flavored whey protein powder from Trader Joes (or maybe some plain lowfat yogurt), and maybe a teaspoonful of glutamine powder, throw it in a blender and voila! Instant protein recovery drink, and tastes awesome too.

As for protein, you just need to make sure you're getting enough in your daily diet, which isn't close to being a problem for the average American unless your a total vegan soy boy weirdo.

Didn't read the other posts that closely, but complete rest is really important. I think Wyoming Dave probably has that covered. His posts are really good.

Good luck.

EasyDoesIt said:
... only thing is i'm wondering will i start going backwards so to speak if i stop taking the protein ?:confused:
Good job, and no, the most important thing to replace after your workouts is glycogen in the form of carbs. The body is really good at replacing muscle glycogen in the first half hour after exercise but slows down dramatically if you miss that critical half hour window. Most recovery drinks hype a 4:1 or 5:1 carb to protein ratio but the research is pretty weak on whether that actually makes a difference. Keep taking the protein powder or work some protein into your recovery if you're happy with the results, but glycogen is what you really need to replace after your workouts.

My wife is a nutritionist and athlete and got me hooked on chocolate milk as a recovery drink. Apparently a prominent study showed it's at least as good as the commercial recovery drinks, better than most commercial exercise drinks and offers a nice mix of carbs and protein. I used it after each stage of a recent stage race and it seemed to work at least as well as Endurox or Metabolol and it tastes better and is cheaper.

Good luck,
Dave

Felt_Rider said:
:D I think I know more than most here about weight training and especially training legs.

Here is one of my visual resumes for lifting
This one of many people that I have coached over the past 20 years.
Follow the links to friends and you can see if I know anything about training legs.

Jesse
If you were being facetious with that link, that was pretty funny. If you were being serious with that link, that's friggin hilarious. Even if true, I don't really know how that establishes your credibility in a cycling endurance forum. I hope you weren't giving him advice on artificial tanning supplementation. No beta cerotene deficiency there. LOL!

bbrauer said:
I think you misunderstood the comment about vitamin c being a precursor to creatine by a previous poster. While it's true that phospho-creatine at the cellular level aids in the creation of ATP, which is our primary source of energy for muscle contractions, I think you're probably taking the supplement creatine monohydrate. It's the stuff bodybuilders use to increase strength and won't do much for recovery or endurance performance, and will probably impair endurance and your power at threshold. (donning my flame retardant suit for the pro-creatine onslaught)

Also, I think the idea of a post-workout recovery drink is not really to have a drink that's high in protein, but to consume something with plenty of carbs that can be absorbed quickly...ie, high glycemic index, to replenish the glycogen stores you used when you were riding. Adding protein to the mix is supposed to aid in glycogen synthesis. There are some pre-mix drinks out there that have the recommended 4:1 carb/protein ratio that is supposed to be ideal, or you can do what I do and take a couple cups of orange juice, add a handful of frozen blueberries, a handful of frozen strawberries, some vanilla flavored whey protein powder from Trader Joes (or maybe some plain lowfat yogurt), and maybe a teaspoonful of glutamine powder, throw it in a blender and voila! Instant protein recovery drink, and tastes awesome too.

As for protein, you just need to make sure you're getting enough in your daily diet, which isn't close to being a problem for the average American unless your a total vegan soy boy weirdo.

Didn't read the other posts that closely, but complete rest is really important. I think Wyoming Dave probably has that covered. His posts are really good.

Good luck.
Ok just to clear up i had the protein/creatine powder left over from when i was tryna gain weight and muscle but stopped working out and so stopped taking it. I was actually thinking in the long run it's probably gonna do more harm than good but for the time being it's working.

daveryanwyoming said:
My wife is a nutritionist and athlete and got me hooked on chocolate milk as a recovery drink. Apparently a prominent study showed it's at least as good as the commercial recovery drinks, better than most commercial exercise drinks and offers a nice mix of carbs and protein. I used it after each stage of a recent stage race and it seemed to work at least as well as Endurox or Metabolol and it tastes better and is cheaper.

Good luck,
Dave
That's exactly what i was wondering, do i have to keep spending money on these expensive recovery drinks or protein drinks or is there an alternative ? So hmmm dunno if i'll like chocolate milk but i'll try it and see how it goes, As a matter of interest has anyone tried things like tinned salmon or cottage cheese for recovery foods or does anyone have any other natural aids to recovery
?

EasyDoesIt said:
That's exactly what i was wondering, do i have to keep spending money on these expensive recovery drinks or protein drinks or is there an alternative ? So hmmm dunno if i'll like chocolate milk but i'll try it and see how it goes, As a matter of interest has anyone tried things like tinned salmon or cottage cheese for recovery foods or does anyone have any other natural aids to recovery
?
Ensure or it's cheap imitation Equate (Wal-mart) drinks are loaded with good stuff. I use them after harder rides, but I'll give chocolate milk a try too ;).

EasyDoesIt said:
....t has anyone tried things like tinned salmon or cottage cheese for recovery foods or does anyone have any other natural aids to recovery
?
In the words of Cool Hand Luke, "what we have here is a failure to communicate."

A bit of protein may or may not aid the recovery process, but the key thing is to replace the glycogen you've burned during exercise and to do it in that critical half hour after exercise. Tinned salmon or cottage cheese are both very low in carbohydrates and although they both supply protein and are a source of good fats(especially the omega 3 fatty acids in the salmon) they won't do a thing for replenishing your glycogen and that's what you need to get out and train the following day.

There are a lot of good choices for post exercise food such as any fresh fruit or better yet a fruit smoothie but proteins and fats won't get the job done.

I could be totally off base here, but reading between the lines it seems you're thinking like a weight lifter in terms of wanting to build muscle mass with protein. I apologize if I'm off base with that assumption, but the key thing to remember is that building power for endurance sports is entirely different than the process of hypertrophy used to build bigger, stronger muscles. Endurance cyclists need to work on building more efficient "engines" which means greater mitochondrial and capillary densities, greater heart stroke volume and muscle fiber conversion. These things do not tear your muscles down the same way weight lifting does and if done right don't result in increased muscles fiber size like lifting does. They also don't benefit from the same high doses of protein that many lifters use.

You can either have very large, very strong muscle fibers with limited mitochondria and limited ability to serve as aerobic engines or you can have a lot of smaller muscle fibers with high mitochondrial densities that are really good at converting oxygen, glycogen and fats to produce power. The former benefits from exercises like weightlifting and high protein diets, the latter benefits from endurance training which requires glycogen. The goals are different, the training is different and the dietary needs are different.

I eat a lot of salmon and like cottage and other cheeses but my training diet and especially my post exercise recovery meals revolve around healthy carbs including fruits and vegetables.

Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir but as much as I like salmon it doesn't make sense during that critical half hour of glycogen replenishment.

-Dave

Dave

Ok i get what your saying now. Reason i thought it'd be a good idea to take the protein/creatine was because when my legs were sore i thought they were crying out for protein so i thought taking the protein drink would help, which it has but it's not a long term solution.

I'll try the chocolate milk and could u tell me which foods in particular would be the best after training for recovery i.e. which fruits and foods ?

Piotr

Thanks for the tip but there's no Wal Mart over this side of the pond !

bbrauer said:
If you were being facetious with that link, that was pretty funny. If you were being serious with that link, that's friggin hilarious. Even if true, I don't really know how that establishes your credibility in a cycling endurance forum. I hope you weren't giving him advice on artificial tanning supplementation. No beta cerotene deficiency there. LOL!
Not trying to prove my credibility on a cycling forum.
I am here as a student trying to improve in cycling.

EasyDoesIt said:
I'll try the chocolate milk and could u tell me which foods in particular would be the best after training for recovery i.e. which fruits and foods ?
Straight after excerise something High GI is great say a handfull of lollies or a piece or white bread, couple of banana's. Next some some protein-chocolate milk, yogurht, tuna, nuts. Little bit after that load up on CARBS!!- Bread- pasta-rice-potatoes-. And fruit is always good, except maybe apples right before hard excercise due to the fibre 'sitting' in your stomach.

Note something like beans or meat with rice/vegies/pasta dish will give plenty of protein and carbs.

Generally don't stress too much over how many carbs or how much protein, eating should always be enjoyed IMO.

existence said:
Lol. This thread is hilarious....
So Mr. existence, can we safely assume that you and you alone have the answer to the OP's question? And by definition of course, the rest of the answers are bulls...t. TYSON

Some claim Amazon Herbs Recovazon helps with recovery but I don't have any idea. Do a web search for "Recovazon." My doctor recommended it to me for an injury.

Sillyoldtwit said:
So Mr. existence,
Relax. No one owns the truth. It never existed. There is no 'recipe' for success. Your recovery is intricately your own. Walk your own path.

existence said:
Relax. No one owns the truth. It never existed. There is no 'recipe' for success. Your recovery is intricately your own. Walk your own path.
Duuude...that's deep.

(Sorry, couldn't resist; no harm intended)