Any Magicians On The Soapbox?

Carrera

Feb 2, 2004
I recently took up my old hobby of magic and conjuring that I used to be into a few years ago. If you ever meet me, I'm just as likely to pull out a pack of cards or restore a shredded paper napkin than talk about cycling (or politics).
So, I just wondered. Is there anybody else into magic tricks a la David Blaine on this forum?
It's actually a really good way to relax after your cycling training and serious magicians can visit magic shops where all sorts of props are available.

Carrera said:
I recently took up my old hobby of magic and conjuring that I used to be into a few years ago. If you ever meet me, I'm just as likely to pull out a pack of cards or restore a shredded paper napkin than talk about cycling (or politics).
So, I just wondered. Is there anybody else into magic tricks a la David Blaine on this forum?
It's actually a really good way to relax after your cycling training and serious magicians can visit magic shops where all sorts of props are available.
Is your other name Harry Potter?

I've always wanted to visit Hogwarts after a long ride.

Magic is actually a brilliant method of chatting up gorgeous women. I'm not kidding. Anyone who has the confidence to approach a group of girls in a bar and show some amazing tricks with cards, coins or handkerchiefs, can't go wrong.
It really impresses the ladies.
Apart from that, it amuses other people at parties and cheers people up.
Here is a website of a magician over here in the U.K.
http://www.davidpenn.co.uk/pages/hindu shuffle.html

Colorado Ryder said:
Is your other name Harry Potter?

I've always wanted to visit Hogwarts after a long ride.

Carrera said:
Magic is actually a brilliant method of chatting up gorgeous women. I'm not kidding. Anyone who has the confidence to approach a group of girls in a bar and show some amazing tricks with cards, coins or handkerchiefs, can't go wrong.
It really impresses the ladies.
Apart from that, it amuses other people at parties and cheers people up.
Here is a website of a magician over here in the U.K.
http://www.davidpenn.co.uk/pages/hindu%20shuffle.html
Getting past 'chatting them up' is the magical part.

Carrera said:

Well, Memphman and Flyer did a disappearing act.
Aah, that's bad I got to get better material.

jhuskey said:
I will intern take that as high praise since I also have minimal standards.
As well you might, JH. Bask in the glory. My standards are so low that the Cambridge Dictionary refers to them as "a despicable infliction upon humanity". I'm fairly comfortable with them, however.

EoinC said:
As well you might, JH. Bask in the glory. My standards are so low that the Cambridge Dictionary refers to them as "a despicable infliction upon humanity". I'm fairly comfortable with them, however.

"despicable infliction on society" I thought that was "reality TV shows".

Carrera: My apologies for mis-directing your thread and a good deal of the female youth of the US in my younger days.

jhuskey said:
Carrera: My apologies for mis-directing your thread and a good deal of the female youth of the US in my younger days.
It's not mis-directing, it's creating an illusion - all part of Huskey's Magic Show.

Carrera said:
errr, no.

i do however have a great trick with a haggis supper and 4 pints of guinness that you would swear was a vanishing trick.

even copperfield would have trouble making it disappear as fast as i could..

Carrera said:
look up your old pal limerickman...he has a way of making my words disappear on this board

Limerickman is fairly quiet of late. My bet is Lim's probably doing a lot more cycling.

zapper said:
look up your old pal limerickman...he has a way of making my words disappear on this board

Carrera said:
Limerickman is fairly quiet of late. My bet is Lim's probably doing a lot more cycling.
Well in that case, I'll show you some magic...I'll go and post some positive LA info and blast a few liberal anti-LA foamers and like a lucky charm he will magically appear and edit my post while leaving all the anti-LA garbage intact....I don't buy the cycling thing, he's cycled and posted before...If anything, I'd buy he just fell off the wagon....

By the way, as I said.........
Just went into a bank today and within 5 minutes I was surrounded by attractive female cashiers and clerks.
All you do is pull a pack of cards out and let it be known you do a bit of magic.
"Come on then show us a trick!", says one of the ladies, and you're away.
The trouble is I'm very rusty and if one of tricks goes wrong I'll come a cropper.
And as we all know, magicians often have beautiful female assistants in bikinis.

Carrera said:
By the way, as I said.........
Just went into a bank today and within 5 minutes I was surrounded by attractive female cashiers and clerks.
All you do is pull a pack of cards out and let it be known you do a bit of magic.
"Come on then show us a trick!", says one of the ladies, and you're away.
The trouble is I'm very rusty and if one of tricks goes wrong I'll come a cropper.
And as we all know, magicians often have beautiful female assistants in bikinis.
Who the hell goes into a bank and pulls out a deck of cards and says 'I do magic'?

I do.
So does David Blaine for that matter but, to be honest, I ain't in Blaine's class.
Now, talking of being extrovert and David Blaine, did you hear about him sitting in a glass greenhouse in the middle of London? The poor guy was pelted with eggs by the crowds below.

Colorado Ryder said:
Who the hell goes into a bank and pulls out a deck of cards and says 'I do magic'?

Carrera said:
but, to be honest, I ain't in Blaine's class.
class remedial 1b,

yes very few people manage to fall to such a pitiful level...(i could name a couple though)

i remember one time david copperfield, the great magician that could make a 747 jumbo jet disappear and could walk through the great wall of china, got trapped in the elevator (lift) of his gazzillion storey mansion.

the lift engineers must have been pissing themselves..

I encountered Copperfield in St Petersburg when I was over in Russia. Copperfield has his family roots in this city and had put on a stage show for the public.
The guy who really makes me laugh though is Jamie Kennedy. He has a show called the Jamie Kennedy experiment where he makes fools out of the public and sets people up.

MountainPro said:
i remember one time david copperfield, the great magician that could make a 747 jumbo jet disappear and could walk through the great wall of china, got trapped in the elevator (lift) of his gazzillion storey mansion.

the lift engineers must have been pissing themselves..