Any more Roubaix-like events this year?

Jeff Potter

Guest
I mean other than the Boulder Roubaix.

I recall that Ann Arbor has had some Roubaix like spring races every now and then. I don't know when
or where, though. Anyone know? Paul?

What I like about dirt road road-riding is that dirt roads are often more scenic, more interesting,
smaller, less car traffic. Dirt road racing seems like a nifty in-between sport between Road and
MTB/Cross. A plain old touring bike might be just dandy for it. Or else a relaxed road bike with,
say, chubbier tires and maybe flex-stem and bounce-post. What makes a great dirt road speed bike?

Our local club rides all the nice paved roads in every direction, but right near the main meeting
place is a bunch of dirt roads that they NEVER ride on. Most don't even know they exist! They're in
a 5-mi hilly/wooded quandrant that is easily neglected. These are GREAT roads and the dudes are
really missing out. They are 100% the most scenic, quiet, interesting roads in the area. So I
started a group ride that hits them. The dirt is often packed to an asphalt like surface anyway. I
can always ride my roadbike just fine, but quite often I prefer my tourbike. Sadly, none of the
roadies joined this other ride even though it was posted and started same time and place.
Interestingly, the ride attracted a whole different group of people who really prefered the quieter
riding. It was a GREAT change of pace from the same-old 5 routes we do on the paved roads.

Ann Arbor has some fine paved roads about 15 miles NW of town near the Waterloo area. But it also
has even better dirt roads mixed into that sector---these go up onto higher ridges, are smaller,
quieter, twistier, more scenic. I've heard that's where the Roubaix-like event has been held. It's
like there's, say, 6 decent paved roads in a 20 mile area. But there are another 20 nifty dirt roads
in the same area.

OK, now that I'm psyched, I'm going to ride our local dirt roads today with the wifely unit. Not
fast but fun. My modest commemoration to Roubaix. OK, maybe I'll get out tomorrow again and
SHRED it up!

Say, did you know that I publish the ONLY dirt road riding culture book in the world? Yeah, and it's
written by one of the little-known roots-daddy champions of US road racing: VVA! Dirt road culture
is WAY cool. Check out my website to find out more about the book. A great bike culture book full of
great bike culture art. Nothing like it in road or MTB reading.

--

Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,

"Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I mean other than the Boulder Roubaix.
>
> I recall that Ann Arbor has had some Roubaix like spring races every now and then. I don't know
> when or where, though. Anyone know? Paul?

There is the "Harris-Roubaix" in B.C., Canada; actually it was a couple weeks ago, but it sounds
like quite the epic race (story here):
http://www.nwracereport.com/race_coverage/race_coverage_road/2003/041303_har
ris_roubaix/041303_harris_roubaix.htm

Okay, so it's not P.R., but it's the closest thing we've got around here.

The Green Mountain Stage Race in Vermont has a dirt road section in the road race, it's about 3
miles long (with some nice big pot holes) and goes downhill. It was fun, but a little scary, as we
hit speeds of well over 30 mph here.

-Suz

Suz wrote:
> "Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I mean other than the Boulder Roubaix.
>>
>> I recall that Ann Arbor has had some Roubaix like spring races every now and then. I don't know
>> when or where, though. Anyone know? Paul?
>>
> There is the "Harris-Roubaix" in B.C., Canada; actually it was a couple weeks ago, but it sounds
> like quite the epic race (story here):

Paris-Ancaster was run in Ontario, Canada this past weekend. Seamus McGrath won the men's race, Sue
Palmer-Komar won the women's event.