Any MTB classes in Austin?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tacomaboy, May 19, 2003.

  1. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    Newbie here, and I really want to improve my skills on my MTB and also how to repair/maintain my
    MTB. Are there any low priced, decent classes offered in Austin? Someone told me UT offers a class,
    but I figure its pretty costly... I am still working on my endurance and losing weight, but I want
    to learn riding tricks and techniques, balance, hopping, how to repair maintain and upgrade my bike,
    etc. I have just recently re-started riding my bike, and have been riding every day for the past 3
    weeks. I love it, and find myself slowly improving, though there is alot of room left to get better.
    I'd like to save some money by repairing my bike myself, since I weigh 230, I am sure, I will need
    to frequently repair my bike. Also, I want to learn how to ride correctly, to prevent damage to it.
    Any ideas are gretaly appreciated. Thanks all! Eventually I want to start riding with others... once
    I can break the 10 mile barrier without feeling like my head exploded. Or maybe when temps get back
    UNDER 95F...

    Jason Diaz

    Tags:

  2. Cleanbean

    Cleanbean Guest

    "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Newbie here, and I really want to improve my skills on my MTB and also how to repair/maintain my
    > MTB. Are there any low priced, decent classes
    offered
    > in Austin? Someone told me UT offers a class, but I figure its pretty costly... I am still working
    > on my endurance and losing weight, but I
    want
    > to learn riding tricks and techniques, balance, hopping, how to repair maintain and upgrade my
    > bike, etc. I have just recently re-started riding my bike, and have been riding every day for the
    > past 3 weeks. I love it, and find myself slowly improving, though there is alot of room left to
    > get better. I'd like to save some money by repairing my bike myself, since I weigh 230, I am sure,
    > I will need to frequently repair my bike. Also, I want to learn how to ride correctly, to prevent
    > damage to it. Any ideas
    are
    > gretaly appreciated. Thanks all! Eventually I want to start riding with others... once I can break
    > the 10 mile barrier without feeling like my head exploded. Or maybe when temps
    get
    > back UNDER 95F...
    >
    > Jason Diaz

    Yo k. dude. These guys will teach ya all you would want to know and more. Don't waste your money on
    classes. http://www.austinridgeriders.com/

    Cleanbean

  3. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    Nice, thanks.. Ill spend some time on this site. Free is ALWAYS cool to me
    :)
    "Cleanbean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Newbie here, and I really want to improve my skills on my MTB and also
    how
    > > to repair/maintain my MTB. Are there any low priced, decent classes
    > offered
    > > in Austin? Someone told me UT offers a class, but I figure its pretty costly... I am still
    > > working on my endurance and losing weight, but I
    > want
    > > to learn riding tricks and techniques, balance, hopping, how to repair maintain and upgrade my
    > > bike, etc. I have just recently re-started
    riding
    > > my bike, and have been riding every day for the past 3 weeks. I love
    it,
    > > and find myself slowly improving, though there is alot of room left to
    get
    > > better. I'd like to save some money by repairing my bike myself, since
    > > weigh 230, I am sure, I will need to frequently repair my bike. Also, I want to learn how to
    > > ride correctly, to prevent damage to it. Any ideas
    > are
    > > gretaly appreciated. Thanks all! Eventually I want to start riding with others... once I can
    > > break the 10 mile barrier without feeling like my head exploded. Or maybe when temps
    > get
    > > back UNDER 95F...
    > >
    > > Jason Diaz
    > >
    > Yo k. dude. These guys will teach ya all you would want to know and more. Don't waste your money
    > on classes. http://www.austinridgeriders.com/
    >
    > Cleanbean

  4. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Newbie here, and I really want to improve my skills on my MTB and also how to repair/maintain my
    > MTB. Are there any low priced, decent classes offered in Austin?

    There's one class that is not only offered in Austin Texas, but any locale in the world, and that's
    just getting out on your bike and exploring and expanding your riding horizons. Find a set of trails
    and become comfortable with them and their obstacles, and then challenge yourself by seeking out
    other ride areas. You'll see your ability level go up and you'll also be able to go back to your
    home trails and impress the hell out of other riders, which is great for the ego.

  5. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    [email protected] thoughtfully penned:
    > "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Newbie here, and I really want to improve my skills on my MTB and also how to repair/maintain my
    >> MTB. Are there any low priced, decent classes offered in Austin?
    >
    > There's one class that is not only offered in Austin Texas, but any locale in the world, and
    > that's just getting out on your bike and exploring and expanding your riding horizons. Find a set
    > of trails and become comfortable with them and their obstacles, and then challenge yourself by
    > seeking out other ride areas. You'll see your ability level go up and you'll also be able to go
    > back to your home trails and impress the hell out of other riders, which is great for the ego.

    I boldly disagree. Riding around is a lot of fun but learning skills is NOT intuitive for all. The
    $150 I spent on a bike camp was an excellent investment me and for many others that I know. If no
    one had showed me how to get off the back of my seat, proper braking and many other skills, I'd
    still be where I was two years ago.

    I'd say for a class, or at least riders that are better than you that know how to share and how much
    you get out of it.

    penny

  6. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Newbie here, and I really want to improve my skills on my MTB and also
    how
    > > to repair/maintain my MTB. Are there any low priced, decent classes
    offered
    > > in Austin?
    >
    > There's one class that is not only offered in Austin Texas, but any locale in the world, and
    > that's just getting out on your bike and exploring and expanding your riding horizons. Find a set
    > of trails and become comfortable with them and their obstacles, and then challenge yourself by
    > seeking out other ride areas. You'll see your ability level go up and you'll also be able to go
    > back to your home trails and impress the hell out of other riders, which is great for the ego.

    True, but the best and quickest way to improve is to ride with people better and/or faster than you.

    Like, my last ride: I tought my friend how to hop logs a lot better, especially the big stuff, as
    well as how to get up onto rock ledges easier (similar technique, he made the connection himself).
    He's a hell of a lot fitter than I am, and he's also pretty decent technically (other than the logs,
    although he picked it up REAL quickly!), so I pushed myself pretty hard to keep up with him. We both
    improved, him more than me, but I still pushed myself harder than if I was by myself, and because I
    was with a bud, we both decided to take on our biggest drop yet (about a 3 footer, maybe a little
    bit less). I've been meaning to do it for a while, but I was usually alone or with people I just
    met, so I didn't have the confidence. With one of my best friends there, bingo! I'm off and riding.

    Jon Bond

  7. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Newbie here, and I really want to improve my skills on my MTB and also
    > how
    > > > to repair/maintain my MTB. Are there any low priced, decent classes
    > offered
    > > > in Austin?
    > >
    > > There's one class that is not only offered in Austin Texas, but any locale in the world, and
    > > that's just getting out on your bike and exploring and expanding your riding horizons. Find a
    > > set of trails and become comfortable with them and their obstacles, and then challenge
    > > yourself by seeking out other ride areas. You'll see your ability level go up and you'll also
    > > be able to go back to your home trails and impress the hell out of other riders, which is
    > > great for the ego.
    >
    > True, but the best and quickest way to improve is to ride with people better and/or faster
    > than you.

    True, but all you have to do is make acquaintances in your biking community to find someone like
    that. I found someone like that buy paying a whopping $5 admission to the Vultures Knob race course,
    and between two days of just watching other riders who knew the course well and having a guide from
    one of the local shops, I've become a smoother and faster rider.

  8. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Newbie here, and I really want to improve my skills on my MTB and also how to repair/maintain my
    > MTB.<snip>

    Contrary to misinformation posted in this thread by another newbie, take a "dirt camp" type class
    this Summer. A search on the web coud garner something close to you. Also, join a bike club. Club
    rides usually have all levels of rider and you can learn a lot from riding with others.

    JD

  9. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    JD thoughtfully penned:
    > "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Newbie here, and I really want to improve my skills on my MTB and also how to repair/maintain my
    >> MTB.<snip>
    >
    > Contrary to misinformation posted in this thread by another newbie, take a "dirt camp" type class
    > this Summer. A search on the web coud garner something close to you. Also, join a bike club. Club
    > rides usually have all levels of rider and you can learn a lot from riding with others.
    >
    > JD

    yes.. the trick is that you go out with folks that aren't testosterone poisoned and just try and run
    you into the ground, but that will let you stop and work on something, show you a few things and
    make sure it's about fun.

    Penny

  10. TacomaBoy wrote:

    >Newbie here, and I really want to improve my skills on my MTB and also how to repair/maintain my
    >MTB. Are there any low priced, decent classes offered in Austin? Someone told me UT offers a class,
    >but I figure its pretty costly... I am still working on my endurance and losing weight, but I want
    >to learn riding tricks and techniques, balance, hopping, how to repair maintain and upgrade my
    >bike, etc. I have just recently re-started riding my bike, and have been riding every day for the
    >past 3 weeks. I love it, and find myself slowly improving, though there is alot of room left to get
    >better. I'd like to save some money by repairing my bike myself, since I weigh 230, I am sure, I
    >will need to frequently repair my bike. Also, I want to learn how to ride correctly, to prevent
    >damage to it. Any ideas are gretaly appreciated. Thanks all! Eventually I want to start riding with
    >others... once I can break the 10 mile barrier without feeling like my head exploded. Or maybe when
    >temps get back UNDER 95F...
    >
    >Jason Diaz

    OK, second time to say this, but it certainly applies here.

    Post up on the mojo board. I'm leading a series of clinics at various venues here in Austin (TEXAS<
    BAYBEEE!!!) We hit City Park for technical work, and I want to add in some bike handling/fit and
    speed work at Walnut Creek.

    We've had heaps of fun, and the people are all pretty goodly folk.

  11. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    "Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > TacomaBoy wrote:
    >
    > >Newbie here, and I really want to improve my skills on my MTB and also
    how
    > >to repair/maintain my MTB. Are there any low priced, decent classes
    offered
    > >in Austin? Someone told me UT offers a class, but I figure its pretty costly... I am still
    > >working on my endurance and losing weight, but I
    want
    > >to learn riding tricks and techniques, balance, hopping, how to repair maintain and upgrade my
    > >bike, etc. I have just recently re-started
    riding
    > >my bike, and have been riding every day for the past 3 weeks. I love it, and find myself slowly
    > >improving, though there is alot of room left to
    get
    > >better. I'd like to save some money by repairing my bike myself, since I weigh 230, I am sure, I
    > >will need to frequently repair my bike. Also, I want to learn how to ride correctly, to prevent
    > >damage to it. Any ideas
    are
    > >gretaly appreciated. Thanks all! Eventually I want to start riding with others... once I can
    > >break the 10 mile barrier without feeling like my head exploded. Or maybe when temps
    get
    > >back UNDER 95F...
    > >
    > >Jason Diaz
    > >

    > OK, second time to say this, but it certainly applies here.
    >
    > Post up on the mojo board. I'm leading a series of clinics at various venues here in Austin
    > (TEXAS< BAYBEEE!!!) We hit City Park for technical work, and I want to add in some bike
    > handling/fit and speed work at Walnut Creek.
    >
    > We've had heaps of fun, and the people are all pretty goodly folk.

    I plan on it.. lemme look more at it now, its kinda intimidating to be honest, but I really oculd
    use some friends who bike :)

  12. TacomaBoy wrote:

    >"Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>TacomaBoy wrote:
    >>

    >>>Newbie here, and I really want to improve my skills on my MTB and also
    >>>

    >how
    >

    >>>to repair/maintain my MTB. Are there any low priced, decent classes
    >>>

    >offered
    >

    >>>in Austin? Someone told me UT offers a class, but I figure its pretty costly... I am still
    >>>working on my endurance and losing weight, but I
    >>>

    >want
    >

    >>>to learn riding tricks and techniques, balance, hopping, how to repair maintain and upgrade my
    >>>bike, etc. I have just recently re-started
    >>>

    >riding
    >

    >>>my bike, and have been riding every day for the past 3 weeks. I love it, and find myself slowly
    >>>improving, though there is alot of room left to
    >>>

    >get
    >

    >>>better. I'd like to save some money by repairing my bike myself, since I weigh 230, I am sure, I
    >>>will need to frequently repair my bike. Also, I want to learn how to ride correctly, to prevent
    >>>damage to it. Any ideas
    >>>

    >are
    >

    >>>gretaly appreciated. Thanks all! Eventually I want to start riding with others... once I can
    >>>break the 10 mile barrier without feeling like my head exploded. Or maybe when temps
    >>>

    >get
    >

    >>>back UNDER 95F...
    >>>
    >>>Jason Diaz
    >>>

    >>OK, second time to say this, but it certainly applies here.
    >>
    >>Post up on the mojo board. I'm leading a series of clinics at various venues here in Austin
    >>(TEXAS< BAYBEEE!!!) We hit City Park for technical work, and I want to add in some bike
    >>handling/fit and speed work at Walnut Creek.
    >>
    >>We've had heaps of fun, and the people are all pretty goodly folk.

    >I plan on it.. lemme look more at it now, its kinda intimidating to be honest, but I really oculd
    >use some friends who bike :)

    I can understand that. But overall, I have fouind it to be a bit more "real" than other online
    boards, this one included.

    I think the key is that if you spend any time there, you meet and ride with most of the people
    there. That kinda cuts down on the posturing and trolling.

    They's jest folks, y'know?

    I'm headed to Colorado at dawn tomorrow. When I get back, let's hook up for a ride.

  13. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    "Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > TacomaBoy wrote:

    > >how

    > >offered

    > >want

    > >riding

    > >get

    > >are

    10

    > >get

    > >>OK, second time to say this, but it certainly applies here.
    > >>
    > >>Post up on the mojo board. I'm leading a series of clinics at various venues here in Austin
    > >>(TEXAS< BAYBEEE!!!) We hit City Park for technical work, and I want to add in some bike
    > >>handling/fit and speed work at Walnut Creek.
    > >>
    > >>We've had heaps of fun, and the people are all pretty goodly folk.

    > >I plan on it.. lemme look more at it now, its kinda intimidating to be honest, but I really oculd
    > >use some friends who bike :)
    > >

    > I can understand that. But overall, I have fouind it to be a bit more "real" than other online
    > boards, this one included.
    >
    > I think the key is that if you spend any time there, you meet and ride with most of the people
    > there. That kinda cuts down on the posturing and trolling.
    >
    > They's jest folks, y'know?
    >
    > I'm headed to Colorado at dawn tomorrow. When I get back, let's hook up for a ride.

    Awesome, enjoy beautiful Colorado!

  14. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]dcet.com> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > JD thoughtfully penned:
    > > "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> Newbie here, and I really want to improve my skills on my MTB and also how to repair/maintain
    > >> my MTB.<snip>
    > >
    > > Contrary to misinformation posted in this thread by another newbie, take a "dirt camp" type
    > > class this Summer. A search on the web coud garner something close to you. Also, join a bike
    > > club. Club rides usually have all levels of rider and you can learn a lot from riding with
    > > others.
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > yes.. the trick is that you go out with folks that aren't testosterone poisoned and just try and
    > run you into the ground, but that will let you stop and work on something, show you a few things
    > and make sure it's about fun.
    >
    > Penny

    Which in essence is what I said when I said "and that's just getting out on your bike and exploring
    and expanding your riding horizons." When you come up to obstacles such as a fallen log/tree, to me
    there are only so many ways to conquer it. If you feel you have to pay $150 for a weekend for
    someone to show you how, then more power to you, but I'll save that $150 and use it for gear or
    components.

  15. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    [email protected] thoughtfully penned:
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > Which in essence is what I said when I said "and that's just getting out on your bike and
    > exploring and expanding your riding horizons." When you come up to obstacles such as a fallen
    > log/tree, to me there are only so many ways to conquer it. If you feel you have to pay $150 for a
    > weekend for someone to show you how, then more power to you, but I'll save that $150 and use it
    > for gear or components.

    I have a really hard time believing that the first time you came upon a fallen 8" tree you knew
    exactly how to hop your bike over it. I can see it now... forget picking the bike up, I'll just do
    some cool wheel lift moves and be on my merry way...

    I'm glad you have the kind of brain that just learn everything intuitively and by osmosis. You just
    keep right at it.

    Some people don't learn that way. just to refresh your memory... here's what I got at bike camp,
    and not everything is on the list:

    front and rear wheel lifts quarter pedal turns level wheel lifts manuals turning: counter steering,
    high speed and outrigger turns. climbing: crouch climbing, standing climbs, push-pull climbing' soft
    pedal shifting descent and bail techniques feathering and modulating brakes switchbacks, stairs,
    plants and drop offs. appropriate skidding gourmet food, hot tub and good company. World champ gals
    as coaches, 1/3 coach student ratio.

    but you needn't bother - I'm sure you know all this stuff you just didn't know it had names.

    penny

  16. Penny S. wrote:
    > [email protected] thoughtfully penned:
    >
    >>"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:<[email protected]>...
    >>
    >>Which in essence is what I said when I said "and that's just getting out on your bike and
    >>exploring and expanding your riding horizons." When you come up to obstacles such as a fallen
    >>log/tree, to me there are only so many ways to conquer it. If you feel you have to pay $150 for a
    >>weekend for someone to show you how, then more power to you, but I'll save that $150 and use it
    >>for gear or components.
    >

    > I have a really hard time believing that the first time you came upon a fallen 8" tree you knew
    > exactly how to hop your bike over it. I can see it now... forget picking the bike up, I'll just do
    > some cool wheel lift moves and be on my merry way...
    >
    > I'm glad you have the kind of brain that just learn everything intuitively and by osmosis. You
    > just keep right at it.
    >
    > Some people don't learn that way. just to refresh your memory... here's what I got at bike camp,
    > and not everything is on the list:
    >
    > front and rear wheel lifts quarter pedal turns level wheel lifts manuals turning: counter
    > steering, high speed and outrigger turns. climbing: crouch climbing, standing climbs, push-pull
    > climbing' soft pedal shifting descent and bail techniques feathering and modulating brakes
    > switchbacks, stairs, plants and drop offs. appropriate skidding gourmet food, hot tub and good
    > company. World champ gals as coaches, 1/3 coach student ratio.
    >
    > but you needn't bother - I'm sure you know all this stuff you just didn't know it had names.
    >
    > penny

    Jesus, You all really have generated some whipping boys here, eh?

    Everyone learns in diferent ways. So far I haven't seena bad idea offered up in this thread.
    Sometimes a skills camp is best attended after one has been out on one's own for a bit.

    My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.