Any new word on AirFree deliveries?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Dave Miller, Feb 15, 2003.

  1. Dave Miller

    Dave Miller Guest

    My Comets, V-Rex, and I had another disagreement about what constitutes acceptable behavior in tires
    during today's ride.

    Last I saw several folks had ordered and paid for the new AirFrees but no one had actually received
    them. Any update on delivery/testing ??

    Tags:

  2. John

    John Guest

    Does the deafening silence constitute an answer?

  3. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Dave Miller <> wrote:

    > My Comets, V-Rex, and I had another disagreement about what constitutes acceptable behavior in
    > tires during today's ride.
    >
    > Last I saw several folks had ordered and paid for the new AirFrees but no one had actually
    > received them. Any update on delivery/testing ??

    A riding budy ordered these about three months ago. He finally got tired of waiting and asked for a
    refund. So far, no tires and no refund.

    Alex

  4. Dave Miller

    Dave Miller Guest

    On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 17:37:24 GMT, alex <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dave Miller <> wrote:
    >
    >> My Comets, V-Rex, and I had another disagreement about what constitutes acceptable behavior in
    >> tires during today's ride.
    >>
    >> Last I saw several folks had ordered and paid for the new AirFrees but no one had actually
    >> received them. Any update on delivery/testing ??
    >
    >A riding budy ordered these about three months ago. He finally got tired of waiting and asked for a
    >refund. So far, no tires and no refund.
    >
    >Alex

    That seems to be the most damning thing I've heard about AirFree. It's a lot easier to improve a
    product than reform a reputation.

    Thanks

  5. Hi, Dave, you said, "It's a lot easier to improve a product than reform a reputation."

    This is very true.

    It is also very easy to compromise a person's reputation by spreading rumors and 'half-truths'
    about them.

    Your respondents have all been people who 'heard it from a friend'.

    Sure, Hugh Waters has not delivered the tires but I don't think he has ripped off anyone's money,
    nor do I think he has the intention of ripping anyone off.

    I spoke with him recently and he told me that he was having some difficulties with the manufacturers
    who actually produce his tires.

    This has been a frustrating experience for him, just as it has for his potential buyers but I have
    been in communication with him for about 3 years now and I am thoroughly convinced that he is a
    good and decent guy who is committed to delivering a high quality Airfree Tire and he is not a rip
    off artist.

    Lewis.

    http://home.earthlink.net/~limeylew/index.html

    Dave Miller <> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 17:37:24 GMT, alex <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Dave Miller <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> My Comets, V-Rex, and I had another disagreement about what constitutes acceptable behavior in
    > >> tires during today's ride.
    > >>
    > >> Last I saw several folks had ordered and paid for the new AirFrees but no one had actually
    > >> received them. Any update on delivery/testing ??
    > >
    > >A riding budy ordered these about three months ago. He finally got tired of waiting and asked for
    > >a refund. So far, no tires and no refund.
    > >
    > >Alex
    >
    > That seems to be the most damning thing I've heard about AirFree. It's a lot easier to improve a
    > product than reform a reputation.
    >
    > Thanks

  6. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    bikers, i too think hugh waters is honest. don't understand why he hasn't responded - not like him
    --
    ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~

    "Lewis Campbell"
    > Hi, Dave, you said, "It's a lot easier to improve a product than reform a reputation."
    >
    > This is very true.
    >
    > It is also very easy to compromise a person's reputation by spreading rumors and 'half-truths'
    > about them.
    >
    > Your respondents have all been people who 'heard it from a friend'.
    >
    > Sure, Hugh Waters has not delivered the tires but I don't think he has ripped off anyone's money,
    > nor do I think he has the intention of ripping anyone off.
    >
    > I spoke with him recently and he told me that he was having some difficulties with the
    > manufacturers who actually produce his tires.
    >
    > This has been a frustrating experience for him, just as it has for his potential buyers but I have
    > been in communication with him for about 3 years now and I am thoroughly convinced that he is a
    > good and decent guy who is committed to delivering a high quality Airfree Tire and he is not a rip
    > off artist.
    >
    > Lewis.
    >
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~limeylew/index.html
    >

    > Dave Miller <> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > >A riding budy ordered these about three months ago. He finally got tired of waiting and asked
    > > >for a refund. So far, no tires and no refund.
    > > >
    > > >Alex
    > >
    > > That seems to be the most damning thing I've heard about AirFree. It's a lot easier to improve a
    > > product than reform a reputation.
    > >
    > > Thanks

  7. Did anyone try calling?

    M.

  8. John Rooker

    John Rooker Guest

    I suspect that he is really busy trying to get the production of the Open Roads sorted out as well
    as getting new molds made and tested for different sizes of that tire.

    On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 09:51:54 -0500, "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >bikers, i too think hugh waters is honest. don't understand why he hasn't responded - not like him

  9. Wouldn't that be funny as hell. Everyone figures the guy is dead, face down in a vat of rubber and
    all new orders cease...when in reality he has just been too busy to turn on his PC and see all these
    posts about him here. And if he is found face down in a Vat of rubber (I had nothing to do with it).
    > Did anyone try calling?
    >
    > M.

  10. Alex

    Alex Guest

    > when in reality he has just been too busy to turn on his PC and see all these posts about
    > him here.

    He's seen them. The riding buddy (a Rans Rocket rider) I mentioned forwarded them to him. Apparently
    he talked to Airfree before Xmas. They charged his visa and said they would send the tires
    immediately. Two months later still no tires, so he asked for a refund. He was told that would
    happen immediately too. Now three months later, no tires and no refund.

    No one in our small riding group here will be buying Airfree any time soon, that's for sure.

    Alex

  11. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    > I suspect that he is really busy trying to get the production of the Open Roads sorted out as well
    > as getting new molds made and tested for different sizes of that tire.

    I think the original poster is upset because his/her credit card was charged without receiving the
    product. Though I think Hugh is a great guy, I am not understanding this. This is unlike him.

    Derek

  12. Dave Miller <> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > My Comets, V-Rex, and I had another disagreement about what constitutes acceptable behavior in
    > tires during today's ride.
    >
    > Last I saw several folks had ordered and paid for the new AirFrees but no one had actually
    > received them. Any update on delivery/testing ??

    Using http://www.airfreetires.com/Information/PresidentsLetter/PresidentsLetter2.htm I called the
    number on the screen and the phone number has been disconnected. Maybe the phone number was changed
    and the WEB site not updated. I hope Hugh is still in business because I want a good performing
    airfree tire.

    Gerald Muffoletto Vision r44 1999, Aero 2002 o

  13. Geob

    Geob Guest

    > This has been a frustrating experience for him, just as it has for his potential buyers but I have
    > been in communication with him for about 3 years now and I am thoroughly convinced that he is a
    > good and decent guy who is committed to delivering a high quality Airfree Tire and he is not a rip
    > off artist

    I wuz one of the people raising questions about airfree.. legitimate, fair and even-tempered
    questions. I have since been in communication with Hugh and he has satisfied my concerns. I am sure
    any of you could reach him as easily as I. I, like most of us, regard private correspondence as
    'private' unless both parties agree to sharing with anybody else. I'd have to get Hugh's permission
    to share, but better yet, why not just contact him yourself?

    I have had several small businesses in the last 40 years, and I know some of the difficulties that
    can assail the small business. I remain excited about the promises/reports I have heard about his
    tires and will simply wait till I get mine.

    GeoB

  14. > I called the number on the screen and the phone number has been disconnected.

    As of February 21st, this number worked (as posted on the website):

    (386) 478-1861

    Regards -- DP

  15. John

    John Guest

    I just checked my credit card balance: it shows a credit for the full amount I was charged in
    December for the Airfree tires I ordered. I've received no communication concerning this, but
    obviously Hugh is still on the job, and I am impressed by his actions. Only downside now is that
    I'll have no new tires to play with...

  16. John Rooker

    John Rooker Guest

    Hugh has always answered any email I've sent him. The impression I have is that all refunds have
    been issued and they are sorting out some production issues. I'm sure that he will issue a statement
    here as soon as he has some of the issues ironed out and I still plan to buy tires from him when
    they become available.

    On 25 Feb 2003 07:06:39 -0800, [email protected] (John) wrote:

    >I just checked my credit card balance: it shows a credit for the full amount I was charged in
    >December for the Airfree tires I ordered. I've received no communication concerning this, but
    >obviously Hugh is still on the job, and I am impressed by his actions. Only downside now is that
    >I'll have no new tires to play with...

  17. Any Interest added to your refund?
    ----------------------------------
    "John Rooker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:q95n5v42tapfpm[email protected]...
    > Hugh has always answered any email I've sent him. The impression I have is that all refunds have
    > been issued and they are sorting out some production issues. I'm sure that he will issue a
    > statement here as soon as he has some of the issues ironed out and I still plan to buy tires from
    > him when they become available.
    >
    > On 25 Feb 2003 07:06:39 -0800, [email protected] (John) wrote:
    >
    > >I just checked my credit card balance: it shows a credit for the full amount I was charged in
    > >December for the Airfree tires I ordered. I've received no communication concerning this, but
    > >obviously Hugh is still on the job, and I am impressed by his actions. Only downside now is that
    > >I'll have no new tires to play with...

  18. John

    John Guest

    At today's (U.S.) money market rates, Hugh is more than welcome to keep the twenty-five cents or so.

  19. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Dave Miller <> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > My Comets, V-Rex, and I had another disagreement about what constitutes acceptable behavior in
    > > tires during today's ride.
    > >
    > > Last I saw several folks had ordered and paid for the new AirFrees but no one had actually
    > > received them. Any update on delivery/testing ??
    >
    > Using http://www.airfreetires.com/Information/PresidentsLetter/PresidentsLetter2.htm I called the
    > number on the screen and the phone number has been disconnected. Maybe the phone number was
    > changed and the WEB site not updated. I hope Hugh is still in business because I want a good
    > performing airfree tire.

    Notably missing from this discussion has been any comment from Hugh. In the last thread of
    consequence on the merits of AirFree Tires, Hugh Waters was a lively participant.

    I know it must be a struggle to get a product like this 'off the ground' and out the door. Consider
    this lapse of contact part of the growing pains of a start-up. I am disappointed to hear that some
    customer funds are in limbo. My contacts with Hugh have shown him to be a very generous and helpful
    person. I'd say keep the faith but hang on to your credit card...

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  20. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    Cletus opines:

    "Notably missing from this discussion has been any comment from Hugh. In the last thread of
    consequence on the merits of AirFree Tires, Hugh Waters was a lively participant."

    IIRC, Hugh was handed his head during the last "discussion" . My take is that he has decided to be
    silent until he can say "Yes Dear.".

    It's very hard to come
    --
    Miles of Smiles,

    Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

    www.gate.net/~teblum out on top of a discussion in this crowd.