Any of You Do Trikes -- in A Metro Area, Too??

"NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Hey, trikes do look like lotsa fun! More expensive, hmm. Anyone in
> NYC (or some other metro area) do trikes? Besides poor Jeff Grippe
> (hope all is well).

poor Jeff Grippe is planning a comeback and is getting better slowly.

Seriously, I have ridden my Tricruiser (the very same one that got hit) up
the West Side Bike Trail and it was a blast. I encountered many other
recumbents but no other trikes on that day. I don't imagine that MetroNorth
would allow me to take a trike on the train and lugging it in and out of the
subway would be a real pain. But why would you need the subway if you have
the trike? I was able to get into Westchester and the Bronx by going over
the Broadway Bridge. You can get to Queens over the 59th Street Bridge and
Brooklyn over the Brooklyn Bridge.

I have always felt safer on a trike because I'm so much bigger and tend to
get more attention from drivers. On the other hand, based upon my
experiences I wouldn't use my feelings about the matter as a guide.
Obviously I was mistaken. I would feel safe in Manhattan only when sticking
to bike paths that are physically separated from automobile traffic.

On the day I came home from the hospital, my TA (Transportations
Alternatives) members welcome kit was waiting for me with other unopened
mail. The cover article of my first issue of the magazine was about the
rising number of bicyclists that were killed by automobiles. Wasn't that a
coincidence?

For the future, I plan on riding a Leitra and taking only less traveled
roads (which interestingly enough will keep me off the official bike route
completely). The Leitra will be lit up like a Christmas tree when I ride at
night (which will be rare I hope).

Jeff

Dave Larrington wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman ([email protected]) wrote:
>
> > Keep in mind that the aforementioned forum is moderated (i.e.
> > censored).

> Only to keep the monkeys out.

Without the knowledge of all the actions of the BROL moderators, this
statement can not be proven.

Although often obnoxious, the "Monkeys" are sometimes the only ones
who say what needs to be said. The court jester's function was more
than mere entertainment.

--
Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> Dave Larrington wrote:
>
>>>Keep in mind that the aforementioned forum is moderated (i.e.
>>>censored).

>>Only to keep the monkeys out.

> Although often obnoxious, the "Monkeys" are sometimes the only ones
> who say what needs to be said. The court jester's function was more
> than mere entertainment.

Spoken like a true monkey.

Rich wrote:
> Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:

> >>Only to keep the monkeys out.

> > Although often obnoxious, the "Monkeys" are sometimes the only ones
> > who say what needs to be said. The court jester's function was more
> > than mere entertainment.

> Spoken like a true monkey.

Hehe...I have to agree with Tom on this one. The British Parliament is
certainly a lot more interesting to watch than our Congress!

Oddly enough, my tolerance only applies to usenet and other such fora
for debates and/or informational exchange. I don't like even seeing
ghetto types in my neighborhood...what's with these fools wearing
earrings and Aunt Jemima do-rags? Worst of all is seeing all the
middle-aged "cool daddies"...especially if they're white!

Unfortunately we can't killfile -- or just plain kill -- these eyesores
and eyebores, and in NYC, they're really everywhere. I guess I myself
don't mind **** on usenet since I can choose to ignore them, whereas
**** on TV or out there in the world, in real life, you have to deal
with and so are very frustrating.

Which is another reason I love biking -- nothing like being stuck on a
bus or train with ghetto monkeys. Usenet monkeys are at least fun at
times. Ooo ooo aah ahh!

Rich ? wrote:
> Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:

> >>Only to keep the monkeys out.

> > Although often obnoxious, the "Monkeys" are sometimes the only ones
> > who say what needs to be said. The court jester's function was more
> > than mere entertainment.

> Spoken like a true monkey.

Well, I do live in Chicagoland and I have a couple of lowracers... ;)

--
J. Sunset

NYC XYZ wrote:
> Peter Clinch wrote:
> >

> > Maybe I'm reading that a different way than you intended... I saw it as
> > "appeal more to women than men", where maybe you meant "trikes appeal to
> > women more than bikes".

> Yes.
>
> > My sample base of lady 'benters is far too
> > small

> It's okay; you can whisper -- I won't tell!

You need to get out to the left coast. After looking at the panorama
taken at the Recumbent Retreat: http://www.recumbentretreat.org/ , I'd
guess that the ridership is about 30% female.

Jeff

"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[...]
> It is possible for an intelligent and informed person to sort the wheat
> from the chaff, and with some research the general credibility of any
> regular Usenet poster can be determined with a suitable level of
> accuracy.

You bet! I determined early on that Mr. Sherman was OK on recumbent topics
and a total idiot on most every other subject under the sun. Same goes for
Mr. Meinecke. Once you have got this sorted out, you can indeed separate the
wheat from the chaff.

> On a moderated/censored forum, a non-moderator does not know what has
> been suppressed, and furthermore, no one knows what has been
> self-censored out of the fear of being banned from the forum.

The main thing a moderated forum will do is keep all the idiots, morons and
imbeciles away. I think 99% of mankind would prefer it that way. It is only
a few of us who want to play games on USENET.

I have said this before and I will now say it again. Anyone who comes to
USENET for any reason other than to be entertained and amused is a blooming
idiot. Mr. Sherman and Mr. Meinecke think they can provide instruction to
the rest of us dumbbells, but all they are doing is indulging their egos,
the same as I. But I am having more fun than they are. That, incidentally,
is why I am so Great and why they are such dwarfs!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

PS. Can anyone tell me why USENET should be capitalized as Mr. Meinecke does
it?

"NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> GaryG wrote:
> >

> > Are those "girls" about 5 years old? Or, are they closer to 85? Those

seem
> > to be the typical ages for females interested in tricycles.
> >
> > GG

> That too!
>
> But why did you say "hell no" so vociferously for?

Because I hope to never ride a tricycle.

Why would I want to ride something that's heavy and slow, when a 2-wheeled
bike is so much faster, and more fun?

GG

GaryG wrote:

> Because I hope to never ride a tricycle.
>
> Why would I want to ride something that's heavy and slow, when a 2-wheeled
> bike is so much faster, and more fun?

I think most of those who've ridden both would say the trike is more fun.

Rich

In article <[email protected]>, GaryG
([email protected]) wrote:
> "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > GaryG wrote:
> > >

> > > Are those "girls" about 5 years old? Or, are they closer to 85? Those

> seem
> > > to be the typical ages for females interested in tricycles.
> > >
> > > GG

> > That too!
> >
> > But why did you say "hell no" so vociferously for?
> >

> Because I hope to never ride a tricycle.
>
> Why would I want to ride something that's heavy and slow, when a 2-wheeled
> bike is so much faster, and more fun?

Just wait until you come round a downhill corner at 70 km/h and find the
road ahead covered in Skog(tm). That extra wheel suddenly becomes
/very/ attractive.

Electricity comes from other planets.

GaryG wrote:

> Because I hope to never ride a tricycle.
>
> Why would I want to ride something that's heavy and slow, when a 2-wheeled
> bike is so much faster, and more fun?

How do you know it's more fun if you haven't been on a trike?

Now, personally I prefer bikes too for the most part, but slamming one's
thigh into icy tarmac on a frosty morning is very distinctly *not* fun,
but not really an issue on a trike. The fastest time set for the UK's
Land's End to John O' Groats end to route was set on a trike: fast and
fun enough for you?

And until you've done right angle handbrake turns on a trike with
left/right brakes and the rider over the paired wheels I wouldn't make
/too/ many assumption that speed is all there is to fun.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Rich wrote:
> GaryG wrote:
>
> > Because I hope to never ride a tricycle.
> >
> > Why would I want to ride something that's heavy and slow, when a 2-wheeled
> > bike is so much faster, and more fun?

> I think most of those who've ridden both would say the trike is more fun.

I find riding a trike much more relaxing since one can run over things
such as railroad tracks and through loose chip seal without paying
attention to balance. However, the trike lacks the connected feel one
has on a bicycle (especially a lowracer) since it does not steer (to
any noticeable extent) with upper body weight shift.

The difficult part is remembering to stay clipped-in when stopping on
the trike. ;)

--
Tom Sherman

Jeff Wills wrote:

> You need to get out to the left coast. After looking at the panorama
> taken at the Recumbent Retreat: http://www.recumbentretreat.org/ , I'd
> guess that the ridership is about 30% female.
>
> Jeff

Hey, that's a really cool shot! Thanks for sharing. Really restores
my faith in cycling! =)

"NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Jeff Wills wrote:
>>

>> You need to get out to the left coast. After looking at the panorama
>> taken at the Recumbent Retreat: http://www.recumbentretreat.org/ , I'd
>> guess that the ridership is about 30% female.
>>
>> Jeff

> Hey, that's a really cool shot! Thanks for sharing. Really restores
> my faith in cycling! =)

The women are being dragged along by their husbands. They would rather be
home cooking and housecleaning and going to church like all good women
should. If I were a woman, I would know how to treat my husband and he would
be in the business of pleasing me, not me him.

You will normally see more women on organized group week long tours because
they will be safe on such types of bike rides. Woman who go out on the road
on their own are slightly crazy. They seem not to know what monsters we men
are.

Edward Dolan wrote:

> The women are being dragged along by their husbands. They would rather be
> home cooking and housecleaning and going to church like all good women
> should. If I were a woman, I would know how to treat my husband and he would
> be in the business of pleasing me, not me him.

Nah, give me a ***** any time, a ***** with a heart of gold and organs
of fire. A woman was made for sex; a man was made for work.

> You will normally see more women on organized group week long tours because
> they will be safe on such types of bike rides. Woman who go out on the road
> on their own are slightly crazy. They seem not to know what monsters we men
> are.

The sexes do seem to soften one another, ironically enough. Women can
be harder than steel itself when left alone.

> Regards,
>
> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
> aka
> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

"NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>>

>> The women are being dragged along by their husbands. They would rather be
>> home cooking and housecleaning and going to church like all good women
>> should. If I were a woman, I would know how to treat my husband and he
>> would
>> be in the business of pleasing me, not me him.

> Nah, give me a ***** any time, a ***** with a heart of gold and organs
> of fire. A woman was made for sex; a man was made for work.

Well, yes and no! First of all, you will never in his world find a *****
with a heart of gold. They only exist in Hollywood movies and on the
Broadway stage. The fact is, every man would like to marry a ***** provided
she only be a ***** with him. But they never are. That is the problem and it
leads to nothing but murder and mayhem.

I recommend that NYC get himself down to his local synagogue and pick some
nice Jewish girl there. After all, life is long and our fancies are short.

Old Navy joke: What is the difference between a **** and a *****? A ****
will have sex with anyone and a ***** will have sex with anyone except me!

Also, not all men are made for work. However, most men would be well advised
to devote their lives to it as it will keep them out of mischief. Only Great
Ones like Myself can ever rise above the necessity for work. Mr. Sherman for
instance is pure drudgery whereas Mr. Dolan is pure Essence of Being. Mr.
Sherman is bogged down in material things whereas Mr. Dolan is bogged down
in immaterial things. I sometimes question who has the more difficult life.

>> You will normally see more women on organized group week long tours
>> because
>> they will be safe on such types of bike rides. Woman who go out on the
>> road
>> on their own are slightly crazy. They seem not to know what monsters we
>> men
>> are.

> The sexes do seem to soften one another, ironically enough. Women can
> be harder than steel itself when left alone.

Women are very good for men, but I question how good men are for women. Even
when women are being "hard" they are not murderers. Murder lurks just under
the surface of all men. We men are killer apes at heart.

I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

T.S. Eliot - The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

Edward Dolan wrote:

> Nope! You are thinking romantically, not realistically. If you had a
> prostitute for a wife, I guarantee you that you would end up murdering her -
> or maybe her you. That is the way it goes, except in Hollywood movies and
> Broadway stage plays of course.

Hell, love is the triumph of imagination over intellect, anyway. But I
don't expect to wind up with a *****, truth be told -- I don't know
where I'd meet one! All I was saying is that I wouldn't mind that fact
itself. But it's a moot point in any case.

> Sounds like something that Kipling might have written, minus the 'ass of
> empire' reference of course. Not sure about that 'middle finger of infantry'
> either.

Not sure what you don't get about a middle finger...?!

> Regards,
>
> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
> aka
> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

"NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>>

>> Nope! You are thinking romantically, not realistically. If you had a
>> prostitute for a wife, I guarantee you that you would end up murdering
>> her -
>> or maybe her you. That is the way it goes, except in Hollywood movies and
>> Broadway stage plays of course.

> Hell, love is the triumph of imagination over intellect, anyway. But I
> don't expect to wind up with a *****, truth be told -- I don't know
> where I'd meet one! All I was saying is that I wouldn't mind that fact
> itself. But it's a moot point in any case.

Maybe not so moot if you can even entertain the idea, however briefly. I
certainly do agree with you about love being the triumph of imagination over
intellect. Hell, I couldn't have said that better myself.

>> Sounds like something that Kipling might have written, minus the 'ass of
>> empire' reference of course. Not sure about that 'middle finger of
>> infantry'
>> either.

> Not sure what you don't get about a middle finger...?!

I am telling you that Kipling would not have written that, nor the 'ass of
empire' bit. Other than that, it could almost have been written by Kipliing.

Edward Dolan wrote:

> NYC, I worry about your immortal soul.

Please don't bother. I don't have one. I look forward to rejoining
the great cosmic background radiation soon.

> It is never ONLY sex.

Well, I didn't mean "just" in the sense of "solely," but in the sense
of "no big deal," like the customary cup of coffee each morning,
something everyone should have regularly if they like.

> Next to how an
> animal feeds is how it reproduces (sex). These are the two most important
> things that any animal ever does on this earth.

I'm not even going to untangle the warren of assumptions in that one.

> I hope I will not have not have to refer you to the Spanish Inquisition in
> order to save your immortal soul.

Recumbents suck!!! You're all idiots!!!! Hummers rule, baby!!!!!

> Forget about ethnic exotics. You are doomed to wed a good skinny Jewish girl
> who will make you very happy.

Oh, well, I could settle for extreme happiness, yes.

> All the brown and black chubbies in the world
> will not excuse you from your duties as a Jew in this world of woe.

ROTFLMFAO!!!! Are you the ARBR Rabbi??? Though, interestingly, my
father's from a small village, known for its lychees, where half of the
folks are our relatives, outside the former Imperial Capital of
Kaifeng, in modern Henan Province, which had many synagogues in its
haydays, and he's circumcised -- ouch!

> Always
> follow your duty and forget about pleasure. Pleasure is fleeting while duty
> goes on forever.

I do agree that while pain is temporary, pride is forever -- but
pleasure complements logic, informs logic, much as the man, being head
of the house, is turned by his wife, the neck of the house.

> Thus spake Zarathustra.

Heil dir Sonne, heil dir Wind!

Edward Dolan wrote:

> Maybe not so moot if you can even entertain the idea, however briefly. I
> certainly do agree with you about love being the triumph of imagination over
> intellect. Hell, I couldn't have said that better myself.

Neither could I. Oscar Wilde went on to add that second marriage is
the triumph of hope over experience.

> I am telling you that Kipling would not have written that, nor the 'ass of
> empire' bit. Other than that, it could almost have been written by Kipliing.

Oh, I don't know. Wasn't Kipling rather proud of the cockney tommy of
low repute who built the Raj? I think in one of his poems he used the
word "blooming."