Any of you have Sidi Genius road shoes?

cdaleguy

Nov 13, 2004
I am looking to buy some Sidi Genius 4 or 5 road shoes and can't decide if it seems like the 5 is worth the money over the 4, due to the carbon sole. Is it? What comments do you have about your Sidi's?

I have the 4's, they're great....however, I did my first Century in them and found that the insole was a little too high for me...and after around 70 miles my feet were killing me...I guess a Century is a real test of not only a Bike but of shoes and apparel etc...

But of course, they might be just right for you...

I bought some Dr Scholls insoles and they made a vast difference...mind you, I haven't done a Century since then...

The 4's are plenty stiff enough for me...but like anything, it's a matter of personal preference....

cdaleguy said:
I am looking to buy some Sidi Genius 4 or 5 road shoes and can't decide if it seems like the 5 is worth the money over the 4, due to the carbon sole. Is it? What comments do you have about your Sidi's?

Jaguar27 said:
I have the 4's, they're great....however, I did my first Century in them and found that the insole was a little too high for me...and after around 70 miles my feet were killing me..
I have a set of Genius 4's (the wide "mega" version), and I noticed the same thing about the arch. My solution was to go to a ski shop and have a set of custom footbeds molded to my feet. I then put them in place of the little foam insoles the shoes come with, and now I have a pair of "custom fit" road shoes.

I wonder if anyone else has tried this.

I have one of the earlier version of the genius(2). At that time, it wasn't carbon soled, but still nice and stiff(even after all these years). Great if you have narrow feet. Little high on the arc for my liking. Buckle(rachet) systems works well and allows for a precise fit. Overall, nice shoes. Hence the reason why Sidi is still making them, but of course with improvements.

I thought Genius 5 superseded the 4s, meaning the Genius 4s aren't available anymore.
Ah well, probably old stock.

http://www.sidiusa.com/rbs/index.html
http://www.sidi.com.au/ (the Aussie site is easier to get around)
http://www.sidi.it/eng/cycling/art.asp?ATp_ID=C01 (the "view larger picture" option isn't working on the Italian site).

I have some new Genius 5 Hi Techs, and they're great; the best feature is the way they look (bling, bling:D). I can't fault them, only to say that $390 AUS (~$310 US) is a farkin' lot o' money. The sole isn't really carbon like the Ergos, it's a only "low density material reinforced with 40% carbon fibre", which doesn't look like carbon, and is only in the middle section -- probably not worth it, although the claim is that it adds rigidity.

These are my first shoes with a ratchet/buckle, and I don't know I ever lived without this system. I obviously, therefore recommend getting the buckle, which, by the way, is replaceable, just like a few other parts.

I have these ones -- yeah, they're white:p

Genius5HT_WhiteWhite.jpg

I just snapped up a pair of 5s for $125US, and so far they're really nice =)

till

I've got a pair of 4's and they're very comfy for my feet. I can wear heavy socks in the winter and light socks in the summer and I have had no foot problems up to century length rides. I can't imagine I would even notice the difference in the soles between the 4's and 5's, as I have never felt my 4's flex at all. Having said that if I could find the 5's for $125 and didn't already have the 4's I would buy the 5's.

Getting custon inserts from a ski shop is a great idea particulary if you have pronation issues. Can the inserts be taken out and used in other shoes and ski boots also?

I've gotta' figure (and that's all this is) that the carbon soles' additional stiffness will only make a difference at the threshold. In other words, if you're a sprinter, and you're game is hammering the entire time, the additional energy transfer gained via the carbon sole might have value.

For a recreational rider, it's hard to imagine it's going to make a significant difference.

I picked up a pair of the Genius 5's brand new from an ebay dealer for $175.00 US. I replaced the factory insert with an off-the-shelf Spenco pair and I find them comfortable and really stiff. At first I was getting numb toes a bit but between the new inserts and playing with my cleat position a little I have been able to eliminate it.

YMMV of course. Just for comparison I am 5'11", 178 Lbs wearing size 46 shoe. I have average-wide feet but never need to buy shoes in wide sizes. I also have a pair of SIDI Domintor 4 Mtn Bike shoes and I find the fit comparable but a bit narrower in the Genius vs. the Dom.

Happy hunting.

NW

NRW77 said:
I picked up a pair of the Genius 5's brand new from an ebay dealer for $175.00 US. I replaced the factory insert with an off-the-shelf Spenco pair and I find them comfortable and really stiff. At first I was getting numb toes a bit but between the new inserts and playing with my cleat position a little I have been able to eliminate it.

YMMV of course. Just for comparison I am 5'11", 178 Lbs wearing size 46 shoe. I have average-wide feet but never need to buy shoes in wide sizes. I also have a pair of SIDI Domintor 4 Mtn Bike shoes and I find the fit comparable but a bit narrower in the Genius vs. the Dom.

Happy hunting.

NW
I'm not sure the Genius 5 has the 40% carbon composite sole, it's only the Genius 5 Hi Tech, unless the Aussie spiel doesn't relate to the U.S. line. http://www.sidi.com.au/Genuis4.htm (genius 5 -- trust me)
http://www.sidi.com.au/genius_5_hi_tech.htm (5 Hi Tech)

And, as I said above, the carbon sections is only small. Below is a picture of the Ergo, ans the carbon composite section of my Genius 5 Hi Tech sole is only the small strip between the heel pad and the two large phillips screws behind the cleats
http://www.sidi.com.au/ergo3.jpg

I just bought some Sidi Genius 5 shoes at a LBS that was having a sale, cost US$174. They do not have carbon soles, they have the Millennium II soles (I have no idea what they are made of). If you want carbon soles, you have to pay up for the Genius 5 Carbon shoes (what they are called in the US, about US$50 more). My 5's are very stiff, and I couldn't imagine that carbon could make them much stiffer. The Genius 4 is just last years model and I do not know of any differences between the 4 and 5. I would have saved money and bought the 4's if they had them in my size.

neil0502 said:
I've gotta' figure (and that's all this is) that the carbon soles' additional stiffness will only make a difference at the threshold. In other words, if you're a sprinter, and you're game is hammering the entire time, the additional energy transfer gained via the carbon sole might have value. For a recreational rider, it's hard to imagine it's going to make a significant difference.

Where power transfer is concerned, you're almost certainly right; you need to be Jan Ullrich to work the physics in your favor between a sturdy nylon sole and a decent carbon one.

That said, I firmly believe sole stiffness can make a big difference in terms of ergonomics and comfort, for power-sprinters and weekenders alike. Straining your foot in a shoe with a ramrod-rigid sole, versus a shoe which gives more in relation to the pedal/cleat position, often alleviates or exacerbates pain, depending on the rider.

Many complain that ultra-stiff soles cause aching or cramping; others complain that softer soles generate "hotspots." I personally don't think you need to be Jan to run into those ergo issues, if your feet are unlucky enough.

I am considering Sidi's Genius Dominator MTB shoe with SPD recessed cleating for my road bikes. Am I hearing the arch in these shoes...the floor of the shoe between the ball and heel is a bit high? My feet are sensitive to having the soul be high between the ball and heel of my feet.
Is the insole removable to replace with a foot bed?
Thanks,
George

biker7 said:
I am considering Sidi's Genius Dominator MTB shoe with SPD recessed cleating for my road bikes. Am I hearing the arch in these shoes...the floor of the shoe between the ball and heel is a bit high? My feet are sensitive to having the soul be high between the ball and heel of my feet.
Is the insole removable to replace with a foot bed?
Thanks,
George
The arches on my Genius 5's do not feel unusually high to me, but the buckle is located above the arch, so I could see how that might put added pressure on the side of the arch when tightened. The insole is removable, so I would imagine it is the same for the Dominator.

I have a pair of Genius 3(mesh/ silver-yellow) , and Techno(the rare all black lorica- for fall/winter riding) ......... both Pre-Carbon sole.

I love these shoes. I've been told that as long as they fit right/ there a quality made shoe/ stiff ........... thats all you really need. The "carbon" hype in the cycling industry is just that, "hype".

I paid $40 each for my shoes ....... I know retail on these shoes is $150+ , and the newer Genius 4/5 or Ergo is at about $200 + , but really you dont have to spend that kind of money to get a Quality/durable shoe to last you a decade... if not longer. Just my .02 ;)

davidbod said:
Getting custon inserts from a ski shop is a great idea particulary if you have pronation issues. Can the inserts be taken out and used in other shoes and ski boots also?
I don't see why not, as long as the inside of your ski boot has a similar contour to the inside of your cycling shoe. The bottoms of my inserts were flat (and the soles of the Sidis aren't) so I glued in some of those rubbery heel lifts you can get from any shoe store or Wa-Mart. They keep the flat insert from doing a "see-saw" on the sole of the Sidi, and they also help to take some of the arch away.

Having flat feet and a US size 13 E has made it pretty difficult to find properly fitting cycling shoes. I got lucky with the Genius 4 Megas (found them on the shelf at Performance for $98).

I just got a pair of Genius 5 Carbons yesterday. I use Look pedals and noticed that Sidi recommends using the included cleat 'stickers' to put between the bottom sole and the actual cleat. This will prevent the cleat from slipping from its position as the sole has a slick surface. However, my shoes did not come with said stickers, so I have to wait for those to come in. :mad:

As for the fit, I do agree that the arch supports are higher than my Nikes (which I've been using since 98'). Thing is I only seem to feel that when I try to walk normally. If I try to mimic my pedal motion (on balls of feet), its not an issue. But they do feel softer and more comfortable than my current shoes. I even tried them on w/o socks (I always use socks btw) just to see...there was no rough spots or sharp edges that hurt my feet. If I did that with my Nikes, I'd have cuts or blisters in no time. :eek:

I'll have to reserve full judgement on these shoes after I get some miles on them.

one comment as a distance roller blader with feet sensitive to a high foot bed between the ball and heel...is place a slight heel lift under your Sidi insole to space up your heel just a bit to remove some of the pressure on the arch or middle/bottom of your foot. If I purchase Sidi's which I am considering and they have a high arch as reported, I will likely have to do this as well.
George