General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Any Omu-rice recipes?

Started by Goro · · Last activity · 4 posts · 623 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 December 2005
Last activity
4 December 2005
Original author
Goro
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
623
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I just watched LUNCH QUEEN and now I have an Jones-ing for some
    Omurice. Anyone have a good recipe for it? I assume it's fairly
    straightforward, mostly wonderign what goes in with the rice? Chicken,
    ketchup, ...?

    thx

    -goro-

  2. Goro said:

    I just watched LUNCH QUEEN and now I have an Jones-ing for some
    Omurice. Anyone have a good recipe for it? I assume it's fairly
    straightforward, mostly wonderign what goes in with the rice? Chicken,
    ketchup, ...?

    Wow, this is a blast from the past. I don't know what they do nowadays
    but in 1969 in [censored], Japan, at the tiny restaurant where we G.I.'s
    always seemed to wind up very late in the morning, the rice included
    finely minced onion, chicken, and green pepper with a little ketchup
    mixed in. I don't know what other seasonings but if there was any soy
    sauce it was only a tiny amount. The omelet/wrapper was, I'm pretty
    sure, thinned slightly with water or broth or milk, and of course a
    good deal of ketchup decorated the outside. It was a great late night
    snack. -aem

  3. aem said:
    Goro said:

    I just watched LUNCH QUEEN and now I have an Jones-ing for some
    Omurice. Anyone have a good recipe for it? I assume it's fairly
    straightforward, mostly wonderign what goes in with the rice? Chicken,
    ketchup, ...?

    Wow, this is a blast from the past. I don't know what they do nowadays
    but in 1969 in [censored], Japan, at the tiny restaurant where we G.I.'s
    always seemed to wind up very late in the morning, the rice included
    finely minced onion, chicken, and green pepper with a little ketchup
    mixed in. I don't know what other seasonings but if there was any soy
    sauce it was only a tiny amount. The omelet/wrapper was, I'm pretty
    sure, thinned slightly with water or broth or milk, and of course a
    good deal of ketchup decorated the outside. It was a great late night
    snack. -aem

    This is a blast from the past for me, too. I remember my mom making this
    for us when we were really young. She added sauteed onions, carrots,
    peas, salt and pepper to the rice. Recently, I've tried it with
    mushrooms and it ain't bad.

    I remember cubed ham or Spam but I don't never have them on hand so I
    substitute it with whatever meats are in my fridge. Right now, that'd
    be chicken sausage with apples and gouda cheese. Yum...

    I think my mom thinned the egg with water but I don't thin it. Just a
    couple of beaten eggs fried into a pancake-like shape.

    Spoon the rice mixture into a bowl, top it with the fried egg, and
    slather on the ketchup. Adding a little Sriracha hot chili sauce gives a
    nice kick.

  4. Goro said:

    I just watched LUNCH QUEEN and now I have an Jones-ing for some
    Omurice. Anyone have a good recipe for it? I assume it's fairly
    straightforward, mostly wonderign what goes in with the rice? Chicken,
    ketchup, ...?


    Got interested and searched a bunch of sites. This is the best recipe
    version I found. From another version I got the idea that a tiny bit
    of worcestershire sauce is a good addition to the rice. -aem
    http://web-japan.org/nipponia/nipponia20/en/appetit/appetit01.html

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.