Any one in South Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gadget

I'm due to be in Ebbw Vale next week for work and I was wondering if any one knew this area. I was
wondering how bad the hills are. I'm staying in Maes Manor so thats the general area I'll be in.

Gadget

In a brief moment of lucidity Gadget scribbled:

> I'm due to be in Ebbw Vale next week for work and I was wondering if any one knew this area. I was
> wondering how bad the hills are. I'm staying in Maes Manor so thats the general area I'll be in.
>
> Gadget

Heheheh, Ebbw is at the head of 'the valleys' so there are some marvellous hills. You're also not
far from Brecon Beacons for mountain bike trails in abundance. Maes Manor is a little way down the
valley, but it is still 'interesting'. A lot depends on if you're travelling up and down the
valleys, where it's mostly flattish, and relatively gentle sloping, or going across the valleys,
where it's near vertical .. ;)

Very little of the area is truly 'flat' for any distance.

--

Completed 1571 Seti work units in 11921 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

I concur with Paul's assessment.

I'd suggest you head north out of the valley and take the B4560 road to Llangynidr. This could be
tackled by both road or mountain bike and takes you across some quiet open moorland and then down
into the National Park.

In Llangynidr there is Nelson's Bike Shop which maybe worth a visit. Not somewhere to go in and
browse, but they do have very reasonably priced stuff. Once in Llangynidr you could head west for
Tal-y-Bont and Brecon. If you have a MTB then you could take the trails in Tal-y-Bont along the
canal down to the reservoir. Alternatively, head east for the lovely village of Crickhowell and on
to Abergavenny.

The scenery is great in these parts. I think the weather forecast is good too!

Regards

TB

> In a brief moment of lucidity Gadget scribbled:
>
> > I'm due to be in Ebbw Vale next week for work and I was wondering if any one knew this area. I
> > was wondering how bad the hills are. I'm staying in Maes Manor so thats the general area I'll
> > be in.
> >
> > Gadget
>
> Heheheh, Ebbw is at the head of 'the valleys' so there are some marvellous hills. You're also not
> far from Brecon Beacons for mountain bike trails in abundance. Maes Manor is a little way down the
> valley, but it is still 'interesting'. A lot depends on if you're travelling up and down the
> valleys, where it's mostly flattish, and relatively gentle sloping, or going across the valleys,
> where it's near vertical .. ;)
>
> Very little of the area is truly 'flat' for any distance.
>
> --

> Completed 1571 Seti work units in 11921 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

>Once in Llangynidr you could head west for Tal-y-Bont and Brecon. If you have a MTB then you could
>take the trails in Tal-y-Bont along the canal down to the reservoir. Alternatively, head east for
>the lovely village of Crickhowell and on to Abergavenny.
>
>The scenery is great in these parts. I think the weather forecast is good too!

I'm off to Tal-y-Bont at Easter and rather hoping to persuade Girlfriend that cycling in the area is
a good thing.

Are off road trails easy to find and pick up? I hear there's some good single track in the area but
finding it is going to be the hard part.

Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.