any one tried sportlegs?

It might work but I doubt its as good as they make it out to be.

I don't see any specific research on their product.

Originally posted by Duckwah
It might work but I doubt its as good as they make it out to be.

I don't see any specific research on their product.

Duckwah, it IS hard to believe SportLegs works as well as it does. It still blows me away every time I take it, and I invented the stuff.

All you have to do is try the stuff to know it works. Still, for you skeptics out there, we submitted SportLegs to the acid test: University randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trials. SportLegs turned out to be quite a bit better than we've made it out to be. Take a look:

http://www.bikecafe.net/Press/PR.4.21.04Sportlegs.asp

Originally posted by SportLegs
Duckwah, it IS hard to believe SportLegs works as well as it does. It still blows me away every time I take it, and I invented the stuff.

All you have to do is try the stuff to know it works. Still, for you skeptics out there, we submitted SportLegs to the acid test: University randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trials. SportLegs turned out to be quite a bit better than we've made it out to be. Take a look:

can you point me to the actual citation, i can't locate it at Pub-Med (although only looked quickly).

ric

Citation won't be available for a couple of months. Manuscript is being submitted for journal publication this week. As the link below details, clinical trial coordinator is a highly reputable Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine, if that gives you any comfort.

In the interim, you can check with any of the MTB racers who discovered SportLegs last season, like Ned Overend, Missy Giove, Marla Streb, Tara Llanes, Gale Dahlager, Shaums March, Paul Rowney, Ross Milan, Melissa Buhl, Julien Poomans or Tinker Juarez-beater Cameron Chambers, to name a few. Or if you're as adventurous as they were, try SportLegs yourself. If the performance improvement figures in the press release are true (they're conservative, actually), it's a difference you'll be able to verify yourself in the first ride or two. And you don't have to take it for a week before you notice a difference. Just an hour before.

Citation won't be available for a couple of months. Manuscript is being submitted for journal publication this week. As the link below details, clinical trial coordinator is a highly reputable Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine, if that gives you any comfort.

In the interim, you can check with any of the MTB racers who discovered SportLegs last season, like Ned Overend, Missy Giove, Marla Streb, Tara Llanes, Gale Dahlager, Shaums March, Paul Rowney, Ross Milan, Melissa Buhl, Julien Poomans or Tinker Juarez-beater Cameron Chambers, to name a few. Or if you're as adventurous as they were, try SportLegs yourself. If the performance improvement figures in the press release are true (they're conservative, actually), it's a difference you'll be able to verify yourself in the first ride or two. And you don't have to take it for a week before you notice a difference. Just an hour before.

to be fair i've only had a brief look at your website, but i couldn't exactly see what your product is, anymore details, so i can check the 'surrounding' literature on the product?

ric

Ric-

You won't find much "surrounding" literature on SportLegs yet. When you can find time, check with your country's own Fionn Griffiths, who gave us a big hug and kiss for helping her do so well last summer, just after Marla Streb did the same. If you can't make time to check out our website or the bikecafe link, we invite your call to 866-LEG-BURN (534-2876) toll-free.

Ric-

You won't find much "surrounding" literature on SportLegs yet. When you can find time, check with your country's own Fionn Griffiths, who gave us a big hug and kiss for helping her do so well last summer, just after Marla Streb did the same. If you can't make time to check out our website or the bikecafe link, we invite your call to 866-LEG-BURN (534-2876) toll-free.

i've had a quick look on the lit about polylactates and admitedly there's very little and it's somewhat equivocal. whether your product is similar to those tested or not i can't really tell...

in terms of good evidence, anecdotal reports doesn't do it for me (sorry), so i'll reserve judgement until i can see some good evidence.

of course, you're more than welcome to discuss any of the evidence with me either by emailing me [email protected] or phoning me on +44 (0) 1443 222718.

ric

Originally posted by zorrove
any one tried sportlegs?

I've only tried the product twice and I've noticed a positive difference both times, despite my early skepticism. I got free samples at Sea Otter this year and, although I cramped during the race (I often cramp), my recovery was incredible and I felt great the next day (last year with similar cramping I was wrecked for several days after the race). Since I had a few more free samples, I tried it again before our big road ride in the mountains this past weekend. No cramping and an amazing recovery time with little to no soreness the next morning after the ride. This stuff is a bit scary (don't like taking pills generally), but with the great recovery, I want to keep using it. I'm going to be getting some more for when my free samples run out. Give it a try and decide for yourself. I'm sold on it.

Geoman, thanks for sharing your positive responses. I understand your "scary" remark. Other users have told us it takes a while to trust the feeling that you can go so much harder, without thinking you're going to ultimately pay the price with increased pain and soreness later. But you can. It really does feel, as another user put it, "as if you've dodged the bullet that had your name on it."

We're just back from handing out SportLegs samples at the Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon in San Francisco. Three athletes who judged the ingredients safe enough to take before the race came by our booth afterwards. They each told us they'd bested their previous best time by between sixteen and twenty minutes, yet each reported "during the race, they just couldn't stop smiling!"

We hear comments like that all the time. And it sure makes us smile, too, because we discovered the same thing years ago, and hoping to share that feeling is why we went into business to market SportLegs.

Best,

Carl Holmes

when is your research coming out? your previous email suggested that LT increased 19+% with sportslegs, which is bigger than the increase from rH-Epo...

current research using polylactates doesn't show such a big increase in performance (it's not even proven that they work, as the results are equivocal).

ric

Can't say for sure, Ric. Research coordinator says it's been submitted to journal(s).

You're correct about the body of research on lactate supplementation being underwhelming at best. Had we been scientists instead of athletes, we would have written off lactate supplementation as a dead end. However, we're athletes, and we knew from personal experience that lactate supplementation an appropriate time BEFORE EXERCISE made a significant difference, one that 9 out of 10 average humans could feel. And the university randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trials I've described to you confirms it.

The underwhelming lactate supplementation research so far studies supplementation at the beginning of exercise, during, or after. That's when it shows merely a buffering effect, which mainly affects Perceived Exertion, which improves comfort, but doesn't hugely affect performance.

Best,

Carl Holmes

Can't say for sure, Ric. Research coordinator says it's been submitted to journal(s).

You're correct about the body of research on lactate supplementation being underwhelming at best. Had we been scientists instead of athletes, we would have written off lactate supplementation as a dead end. However, we're athletes, and we knew from personal experience that lactate supplementation an appropriate time BEFORE EXERCISE made a significant difference, one that 9 out of 10 average humans could feel. And the university randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trials I've described to you confirms it.

The underwhelming lactate supplementation research so far studies supplementation at the beginning of exercise, during, or after. That's when it shows merely a buffering effect, which mainly affects Perceived Exertion, which improves comfort, but doesn't hugely affect performance.

Best,

Carl Holmes

i can't say for certain whether it works or not, as there's a paucity of available evidence. however, wheresomething claims to raise LT by 19% then you've got to be having a laugh. i don't mean to sound glib, but that's about double the effect you get from rH-Epo.

i await confirmation in decent journal

ric

The clinical trials coordinator, a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine, says the Journal of Wilderness Medicine, among others. Apparently the journals chosen first are those with the soonest conventions. We narrowly missed the submission deadline last Fall for having our results included in this year's ACSM proceedings, in Indianapolis this month.

We expect to be informed when the manuscript has been accepted for publication, and you'll be able to read it at your leisure within three or four months at the earliest.

But if you prefer riding to reading, if winning your next race is a pressing concern, you could try some SportLegs, and know the difference in a single ride.

The clinical trials coordinator, a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine, says the Journal of Wilderness Medicine, among others. Apparently the journals chosen first are those with the soonest conventions.

Actually, most people go for the journal they see as having the biggest impact in their field - and I have to say, having never heard of the Journal of Wilderness Medicine myself, that I wonder if the paper was reviewed by anybody who knows anything about this area.

i would just like to say that i think that SportLegs really works! I just completed my 1st race yesterday and i gave it everything i had! i tried it for the first time yesterday before the race and I don't really know if it helped me during the race or not, probably did though.. but in all the excitement, i didn't even stretch afterwards and got in the car to drive 2 hrs. home and felt great for the rest of the day. Now, i woke up this morning, and im not even the slightest bit sore whatsoever! I am shocked! I don't feel fatigued or anything and i don't even feel like i rode yesterday!:D

Shming, thanks for sharing your experience. Results like yours are why we make SportLegs, and keep trying to tell our story, despite the persistent skepticism of certain academicians. You think they'd be more interested in furthering knowledge, not quashing it. We're fortunate that open-minded folks like you are willing to try SportLegs, and prove it to yourselves.

Thanks again.

Carl Holmes for SportLegs

Shming, thanks for sharing your experience. Results like yours are why we make SportLegs, and keep trying to tell our story, despite the persistent skepticism of certain academicians. You think they'd be more interested in furthering knowledge, not quashing it. We're fortunate that open-minded folks like you are willing to try SportLegs, and prove it to yourselves.

Thanks again.

Carl Holmes for SportLegs

the reason, no one believes you is because you make ridiculous claims about how much you improve when you take your product. that has been discussed with you previously, and if you seriously think your product works *significantly* better than rH-Epo, then you must be deluded.

as regards your chosen journal of publication, it somewhat says it all. whilst, i'm sure the publication itself is fine, it's really not related to sports science or exercise physiology is it?

ric

I cannot find a Journal of Wilderness Medicine.

There is a journal called Wilderness and Environmental Medicine. Is this what you are referring to?

(Impact Factor is 0.28, Immediacy Index is 0.000, which in scientific terms means it is a weiner journal.)