any one tried sportlegs?

Ric, you seem to think SportLegs is blasphemy against the Church of Accepted Knowledge. Maybe it is. But do you really want to wait until every last aborigine knows about it to try it? Do people consult you because you’re the last to know, or the first to know? SportLegs wasn’t developed by some giant company with a giant research budget. And it isn’t some potentially dangerous drug that has to be proven. It’s a blend of healthy minerals that have been Recognized As Safe by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for twenty years. SportLegs was developed by athletes who could feel the difference it made themselves. A consistent, appreciable difference. What feels like a double-digit percentage difference. So when our limited-budget preliminary research quantified exactly that, we weren’t surprised. We would have been more surprised if it hadn’t. But then you’d have to try SportLegs yourself to understand.

It sure would be great if the Church of Accepted Knowledge didn’t barricade its doors so tightly against the possibility of something new; something, perish the thought, its High Priests might have missed.

C’mon, Coach. Lighten up, and give it a go. Isn’t sports all about possibilities? You require your students to open their minds and learn. Can’t you do the same?

Respectfully,

Carl Holmes for SportLegs

Originally posted by SportLegs
Ric, you seem to think SportLegs is blasphemy against the Church of Accepted Knowledge. Maybe it is. But do you really want to wait until every last aborigine knows about it to try it? Do people consult you because you’re the last to know, or the first to know? SportLegs wasn’t developed by some giant company with a giant research budget. And it isn’t some potentially dangerous drug that has to be proven. It’s a blend of healthy minerals that have been Recognized As Safe by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for twenty years. SportLegs was developed by athletes who could feel the difference it made themselves. A consistent, appreciable difference. What feels like a double-digit percentage difference. So when our limited-budget preliminary research quantified exactly that, we weren’t surprised. We would have been more surprised if it hadn’t. But then you’d have to try SportLegs yourself to understand.

It sure would be great if the Church of Accepted Knowledge didn’t barricade its doors so tightly against the possibility of something new; something, perish the thought, its High Priests might have missed.

C’mon, Coach. Lighten up, and give it a go. Isn’t sports all about possibilities? You require your students to open their minds and learn. Can’t you do the same?

Respectfully,

Carl Holmes for SportLegs

i've not anywhere said that your product is a dangerous drug, andn or have i said that it needs to be validated. in fact products like yours have to have printed on the label that the claims haven't been authenticated.

there is some research on polylactates, and the results are highly equivocal. for e.g., http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=8002124 shows no benefits to performance or physiological markers. i therefore see no reason to try your product when their seems to be little or no research to support it, and only anecdotal evidence.

i have no idea how you would be able to "feel" a double digit difference? how would that difference feel compared to a 9% difference?

Additionally, it would be my contention that you may not even be able to feel a double digit difference. A 10% increase in power may reduce time in a 10-mile TT by say 30-secs. you may not feel this. i've ridden in 10's where environmental and topographical conditions have varied a little, and my times have been out by up to a minute even though my power has been the same (or different by only one or two watts).

i have not ever suggested i'm not open to new ideas and new research, polylactates aren't new however. the Journal that the authors have chosen isn't exactly a leading sports science journal is it? with all due respect to the journals reviewers, are they really able to peer review such research. i know that when i publish work i wouldn't have sent it to such a journal and would choose a more mainstream sport science (etc) journal.

ric

This guy could write the book on "Bandwagon" marketing!!!

Hopefully he means the Journal of Wilderness and Environmental Medicine. The Journal of Wilderness Medicine was discontinued in 1994 and renamed as the Journal of Wilderness and Envirionmental Medicine (as this website shows:
http://www.wemjournal.org/wmsonline/?request=get-archive

Here is the website for the soicety that publishes it. http://wms.org/

Anyways, the sense of bravado and enthusiasm that SportLegs has for this product is a turn-off for me to buy the product. His silly rambling on about the "Church of Accepted Knowledge", "High Priests" and the such is really annoying. I have the same reaction when some overly-excited salesman comes up to me and tells me how incredibly awesome some product is, and that if I buy such and such a product: World Peace will be acheived, the environment will be saved, the poor will be fed, and I will have billions of dollars in my pocket, not to mention the fact I'll be able to dust Lance Armstrong. His attitude fits with those info-mercials on at 2am. or early Saturday morning.

His annoying attitude makes me not want to buy the product!!!

Sorry, Joe. Shouldn't let Ric's attitude get to me. It hasn't been proven that Australian creatures other than ostriches stick their heads in the sand, notwithstanding the anecdotal evidence.

sportlegs, what attitude? i asked for some good data and you couldn't provide it. instead you've fantasised about a double digit improvement in performance and spouted rubbish.

you've obviously got nothing good to contribute to the forum, and don't particpate in anything other subject. accordingly, this thread really is just a thinly veiled attempt at spam.

and why are you insinuating that i'm an Australian creature. Obviously, you're too stupid to realise i'm from the UK.
*not that i'm suggesting there's anything wrong with anything/anyone from Oz.

Anyway, you've got no evidence to prove that your magic pills work, you can't even supply any good anecdotal evidence (e.g., my power when measured with SRM/PT/Ergomo/S720 improved xx%).

good bye
ric

I suggest you just give it a shot rather than relying on hearsay and potential journal reports anyway (may or may not be coming out in some journal, who knows). I tried them twice, and now just purchased some since it worked for me. Just a suggestion.... the proof is in the pudding!

i'm quite selective about what i ingest, thanks.

unless you've got a power meter and/or race indoors on e.g., a velodrome under controlled environmental conditions, then i doubt you'll notice a difference whether it works or not. if you feel it works for you, then all well and good, but it sounds like a placebo to me.

ric

Originally posted by Geoman
I suggest you just give it a shot rather than relying on hearsay and potential journal reports anyway (may or may not be coming out in some journal, who knows). I tried them twice, and now just purchased some since it worked for me. Just a suggestion.... the proof is in the pudding!

Being somewhat of an independent researcher who tends not to be swayed by ad copy and the placebo effect, I propose to evaluate the seller's claims on my own accord. I've not read the literature on mineral lactates, and so that I remain open minded, I will refrain from doing so until after I've concluded my own evaluation.

I regularly subject myself to interval training on an indoor trainer, using a HRM and power monitor. The setup I use has proven to be repeatable with very good precision, and rest assured I would easily be able discern even a 2-3% improvement without question.

Since I have only bulk calcium lactate on hand (need Mg lactate as well to reproduce seller's product), I've had to place an order for the small sample pack from the seller. As soon as I receive seller's product, I will conduct the with/without testing two days apart and report. I will repeat the same test until the supply is depleted.

I realize this won't be statistically valid, but being both educated and skeptical when it comes to dietary supplements and the claims made by sellers thereof, rest assured that my evaluation will be as objective as humanly possible.

Sorry, Joe. Shouldn't let Ric's attitude get to me. It hasn't been proven that Australian creatures other than ostriches stick their heads in the sand, notwithstanding the anecdotal evidence.

Emus are Australian. Not ostriches. And emus don't stick their heads in the sand. The kind folks at the journal for wilderness medicine probably could have told you that.

I can't believe this thread is still going!

I love how the people who have experienced "positive" results with sportslegs have all mysteriously appeared to post on this thread and are all new members who don't post much elsewhere.

This has got all the subtlety of a sledge hammer to the side of the head.

I agree with Ric that the claim that a low dose of minerals and lactates outperforms EPO is a load of rubbish.

Don Stevenson BSc (Chemistry)

Carl, unless you can back up your claims with an RCT published in a reputable peer reviewed research journal then there wont be too many people on this forum that will listen to you. That's the way science advances, slow and conservative yes, but also thorough, valid, reliable, reproducible and, not the least - safe. No one in their right mind would ingest something that hasn't been thoroughly researched and found to be safe and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one here that thinks that.
Your arguments rely on anecdotal reports from 'satisfied' users and, although interesting do not add anything to the pool of scientific knowledge. If you would care to come back to us with some hard evidence backed up by a randomised control trial (or two, but somehow I doubt you'll find the funding for this) then you may gain some credibility from the community. Care to accept that challenge?.

regards

Muzza

Muzza, thank you for your invitation. We’ve set our sights on presentation(s) at the ACSM Annual Meeting next June.

If you truly are representative of the audience here, we apologize. We mistook you for a more curious bunch, who might appreciate a competitive edge that can also reduce your ibuprofen habit, a year or so before it’s common knowledge.

And we certainly agree you shouldn’t ingest anything that hasn’t been thoroughly researched and found to be safe. Our two ingredients have been exhaustively researched and concluded to be “Generally Recognized As Safe” by the United States Food and Drug Administration for the last twenty years.

If that isn’t safe enough for you, leave the training wheels on your bike. And definitely avoid scarier stuff like ibuprofen or warm beer.

And Ric, we agree the trials of polylactates to date have been equivocal at best. Yet Lance Armstrong mentions he’s a Cytomax fan in his first book. Doesn’t seem to have slowed him down much. So while it’s certainly prudent to discount anecdotal evidence, it may be equally imprudent to dismiss it.

Best,

Carl

And Ric, we agree the trials of polylactates to date have been equivocal at best. Yet Lance Armstrong mentions he’s a Cytomax fan in his first book. Doesn’t seem to have slowed him down much. So while it’s certainly prudent to discount anecdotal evidence, it may be equally imprudent to dismiss it.

Best,

Carl

Are you saying that we should avoid your stuff and buy Cytomax instead? at least that has carbs and electrolytes in it.

ric

If you truly are representative of the audience here, we apologize. We mistook you for a more curious bunch, who might appreciate a competitive edge that can also reduce your ibuprofen habit, a year or so before it’s common knowledge.

My ibuprofen habit??!??!?!??!?!???!?

I'm jonesing for some NSAIDS, oh yeah!

If that isn’t safe enough for you, leave the training wheels on your bike. And definitely avoid scarier stuff like ibuprofen or warm beer.

I will grant that selling an inert substance does increase the chance that it is safe, but there is a (very) remote chance your product is not inert, in which case further clinical trials would be needed to verify how to use it correctly and safely.

Our dictionary defines “inert” as “displaying no chemical activity.” But you’re no doubt aware calcium and magnesium facilitate a host of biochemical activities. And it was UC Berkeley’s George Brooks, the patent-holder for Cytomax, who identified lactate’s unmatched role in promoting intra- and intercellular energy transfer twenty years ago. George took a lot of flak for his revolutionary “lactate shuttle” theory back then, but you’ll read it as accepted theory in current Exercise Physiology texts.

So Roadie, in describing SportLegs’ ingredients, instead of “inert”, I think the least-flattering adjective you’re searching for is “benign”, defined as “1. Having a kind disposition; gentle. 2: Tending to promote well-being; beneficial.”

The distinction may rival that between the emu and the ostrich; perhaps even that between South Wales and New South Wales. Thanks to you exceedingly educated chaps for setting us straight.

Oh, and how to use SportLegs correctly? We generally recommend orally.

maybe if you contributed to the forum in some other way, rather than just spamming us with your anecdotal stories, you may be more accepted. there's nothing wrong with having a commercial presence.

however, as you neither supply any useful info, such as how you're product may work with some of the underlying physiology and biochemistry, *nor contribute to any other thread*, then you can't be considered anything more than "spam".

Rather than purchasing some SL which isn't proven to work (yet), and if you people really want to help 'neutralise' the "lactic acid burn" then you can pop down to your local chemist (or similar) and purchase some sodium bicarbonate. Bicarb loading is proven in quite a few studies to increase performance, and decrease the lactate produced. it's dirt cheap. there are some side effects of it, as some people do suffer GI problems, but as with most things in life you don't get a "free lunch". If you do try some bicarb loading you need 0.3g per kg body mass, and take about an hour or so prior to very heavy exercise. for e.g., if you have a mass of 70 kg then you'll need 21 grams of bicarb.

and remember folks, bicarb is proven ;) on the other hand polylactes aren't. if you're going to try any, i'd suggest cytomax, as it least it has carbs and electrolytes in and they _do_ increase performance.

It's 2005.....What happened to Sportsleg and its "research"????

Interesting thread

Yeah, I'm also interested in what happened to this product? Bicycling mag had a small but favourable article on sport legs.

I too saw the Bicycling mag snippet. Bought some. Used it for the first time yesterday. Works, for me, exactly as advertised.

May be placebo effect. As with whatever we decide to do to our diets/bodies, YMMV.

FrankBattle said:
I too saw the Bicycling mag snippet.
Should be a little suspicious of the fact that you have only two posts to your name at the time of this posting? Spammer perhaps?