Any opinions on Shimano M959 pedals?

Marty Wallace

Guest
I'm thinking of buying some new pedals, and as i'm sure they'll last a long
time I'd like to get some good ones. I was thinking of getting the Shimano
M959 pedals. I do mainly cross country type mountain bike riding.
Any thoughts?

Marty

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:37:44 +0800, "Marty Wallace" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm thinking of buying some new pedals, and as i'm sure they'll last a long
>time I'd like to get some good ones. I was thinking of getting the Shimano
>M959 pedals. I do mainly cross country type mountain bike riding.
>Any thoughts?

I ride road bicycles and like shoes that I can walk in. I was using
the single sides older style Ultegra or DuraAce SPD pedals. I have a
couple of pair of them put away. I wanted to try the 959s but didn't
have the heart to pay that mu$h. There was a sale and I bought my
first pair. Shortly after the 2nd pair. They release smoother than
other SPD pedals I've tried. They seem very sturdy and I'm planning
on years of use.

"Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm thinking of buying some new pedals, and as i'm sure they'll last a long
> time I'd like to get some good ones. I was thinking of getting the Shimano
> M959 pedals. I do mainly cross country type mountain bike riding.
> Any thoughts?
>
> Marty

The only problem with them is the price. The cheap versions (520s)
work just as well and weigh an insignificant amount more.

wrote:

>I'm thinking of buying some new pedals, and as i'm sure they'll last a long
>time I'd like to get some good ones. I was thinking of getting the Shimano
>M959 pedals. I do mainly cross country type mountain bike riding.
>Any thoughts?
>
>Marty

You can search through this for feedback, and look at the 520 and 540
models as well-

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/pedal/

same basic design. I have the 520 and they are nice pedals. I'd base
my decision on whether the extra money is worth it for you.

On 18 Nov 2004 10:25:08 -0800, [email protected] (Ed Sullivan)
wrote:

>"Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> I'm thinking of buying some new pedals, and as i'm sure they'll last a long
>> time I'd like to get some good ones. I was thinking of getting the Shimano
>> M959 pedals. I do mainly cross country type mountain bike riding.
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Marty

>The only problem with them is the price. The cheap versions (520s)
>work just as well and weigh an insignificant amount more.

Yeah, but they're not as pretty. I like my 959s, and they're cheap
compared with road pedals as you get two sets of bindings. Over here,
520s are about £30 and 959s are about £60, so you have to try to guess
whether they're good for twice the milage. If you're a crasher, get
the 520s if you usually bend stuff before you wear it out.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

"Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:37:44 +0800, "Marty Wallace" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >I'm thinking of buying some new pedals, and as i'm sure they'll last a

long
> >time I'd like to get some good ones. I was thinking of getting the

Shimano
> >M959 pedals. I do mainly cross country type mountain bike riding.
> >Any thoughts?
> >
> >Marty
> >

> You can search through this for feedback, and look at the 520 and 540
> models as well-
>
> http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/pedal/
>
> same basic design. I have the 520 and they are nice pedals. I'd base
> my decision on whether the extra money is worth it for you.

Thanks guys.
I decided the 540 is probably the best way to go. Exactly the same but
different!

Marty

Marty Wallace wrote:
> "Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>
>>On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:37:44 +0800, "Marty Wallace" <[email protected]>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>I'm thinking of buying some new pedals, and as i'm sure they'll last a

> long
>
>>>time I'd like to get some good ones. I was thinking of getting the

> Shimano
>
>>>M959 pedals. I do mainly cross country type mountain bike riding.
>>>Any thoughts?
>>>
>>>Marty
>>>

>>You can search through this for feedback, and look at the 520 and 540
>>models as well-
>>
>>http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/pedal/
>>
>>same basic design. I have the 520 and they are nice pedals. I'd base
>>my decision on whether the extra money is worth it for you.

> Thanks guys.
> I decided the 540 is probably the best way to go. Exactly the same but
> different!
>
> Marty

great choice. put some on my commuter a few weeks ago. much better
clip-in. don't appear to be subject to the clip-out wear either. very
nice pedal. much more refined than any previous model.