Any opinions on TOPEAK MICRO ROCKET CB - Carbon/alloy Micro Road Pump

Bigbananabike

Dec 29, 2004
Hi.
I'm thinking about buying one of these for my 'race only' bike. I figure if I puncture I'm effectively out of a race:eek: so I only want to be able to get back to the start/finish.

Anyone got one?

How many psi can they actually get up to - not what the box says they can do?
Is the fitting system(I'd like to put it under the top bar - just in front of the seat tube) effective?

Cheers, Paul :)

I wish i could tell you how well or crappy it worked, but i just haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet. 3700+ miles and no flats. I guess clinchers are good for something afterall!:)

I bought it strictly because of the carbon 'look' and the fact that is about the smallest pump out there.

I can say this, when it's in you jersey pocket you don't even know it's there. It is small and it is light.

CAMPYBOB said:
I wish i could tell you how well or crappy it worked, but i just haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet. 3700+ miles and no flats. I guess clinchers are good for something afterall!:)

I bought it strictly because of the carbon 'look' and the fact that is about the smallest pump out there.

I can say this, when it's in you jersey pocket you don't even know it's there. It is small and it is light.
============================================================
Wow, you're doing incredibly well re no flats - do all your riding on the track?!:)

My reasons for wanting to buy one are size/weight though I'll probably go for the alloy one as it at 65 grams compared with 55 it's no big deal and neither is the carbon look over alloy.

Bigbananabike said:
Wow, you're doing incredibly well re no flats - do all your riding on the track?!:)

My reasons for wanting to buy one are size/weight though I'll probably go for the alloy one as it at 65 grams compared with 55 it's no big deal and neither is the carbon look over alloy.

I have this pump and managed to rescue a ride buddy once due to his tyre flat. It took me quite a while to pump his tyre tube up (100psi?!).

End of the day, did its job, got a well worked out arm, nice look and saved the day.

Pat

Bigbananabike said:

Yes, it's hard for me to believe...the guy that once went thru THIRTY-SIX! sew-ups in a single season.

I'm on Vredstein Fortezza (the 160 max. psi/ 120 tpi casing model) tires. They are the first clinchers I've used in 34 years and they have amazed me. I ride on some pretty crappy roads with lots of potholes and gravel at the edges.

Someday I will get to try out that pump. If it gets me on the road again at only 80-85 psi I'll be happy. Btw, i do carry one of the CO2 inflators. The pump is just my 'insurance policy'.

Never tried the Topeak, but I like my SKS Wesemann, which does a half decent job of pumping up a clincher. Not carbon look tho... :rolleyes:

I have the Topeak Micro Rocket CB. Only use it to complement c02 cartridges and a (Genuine Innovations) Airchuck SL.

got one. used it. took a bit to co-ordinate holding it once the pressure got up, but worked a treat. it just took some time to get there, but actually less time than i thought it would.

I have Topeak's Pocket Rocket DX and have done tests at home that 200 strokes can get me up to 90-100psi on my 700c clincher ie. Ride away pressure.

I am Ok with that given the rarity of punctures and the weight saving. The unit can go to higher pressures but it's of diminishing returns.

Hey, thanks for the replies. I bought the Topeak. I got to about 80 PSI before I gave up. It's only for my race bike so I only need enough PSI to get me back to the start(unless someone puts me and bike in their car for the ride back).

The mounting bracket etc for under the top bar is excellent too.

Only problem - now the pumps(small but not mini pumps) on my other two bikes look big and ugly:eek:

Cheers, Paul :)