Any Possible Fraud w/ the Escrow System (specifically STransaction.net)

puma

Jul 23, 2003
Hello all. And of course, Happy Thanksgiving. I've got a seller that insists on using the escrow service site STransaction.net, but the seller/sale seams pretty shady (and I'm damn pretty sure it is). However, there is a small chance that this might actually be legit, plus I'm kind of curious to see how this thing will work out because I can't see any way that the seller can rip me off. But because it does look like it's a scam I'm wondering why the seller would ever even want to attempt the deal if he/she simply cannot get away with the cash. So, has anyone heard of anyone get ripped off using this escrow service provider, or even others?

Thanks all in advance.

I don't know about this company, but there are many fake escrow companies out there. If it smells fishy, don't do it. If the buyer really wants your bike, he will be willing to find a better way to pay you.

Jürgen

What ever happened with this? I have someone asking to use the same Escrow company and it does seem like a scam to me to. Did you find anything on the company? Was the guy in Cupertino? Your posting is all I have found on this escrow company. Did you sell the bike?

Thanks,
Bigmidget

Originally posted by puma
Hello all. And of course, Happy Thanksgiving. I've got a seller that insists on using the escrow service site STransaction.net, but the seller/sale seams pretty shady (and I'm damn pretty sure it is). However, there is a small chance that this might actually be legit, plus I'm kind of curious to see how this thing will work out because I can't see any way that the seller can rip me off. But because it does look like it's a scam I'm wondering why the seller would ever even want to attempt the deal if he/she simply cannot get away with the cash. So, has anyone heard of anyone get ripped off using this escrow service provider, or even others?

Thanks all in advance.

Thanks all in advance.
There are bogus Escrow sites. I'd pick my own or walk.Simple as that.

Thanks all in advance.

I would definitly tell them to take a hike!

Actually, I reported it to the FBI's website for reporting web frauds. Hopefully they will do something about it.

Originally posted by bigmidget
What ever happened with this? I have someone asking to use the same Escrow company and it does seem like a scam to me to. Did you find anything on the company? Was the guy in Cupertino? Your posting is all I have found on this escrow company. Did you sell the bike?

Thanks,
Bigmidget

Oh, sorry for the delayed response on the matter, I didn't get a notification of the replies until now. I contacted its "listed" mother corporation (Fidelity National Financial) and the assistant to the vice prez replied:

"FNF is in no way affiliated with ANY online internet escrow company. They are using our name fraudulently. Please do not transact any business with them."

So yeah, it's fake. Hope the news doesn't come too late...

No, not too late. I noticed how shady it seemed, looked into it and decided not to do it. After further investigation I found out that the site domain name was created three days before my initial email from the guy. Definately a scam!

Oh, sorry for the delayed response on the matter, I didn't get a notification of the replies until now. I contacted its "listed" mother corporation (Fidelity National Financial) and the assistant to the vice prez replied:

"FNF is in no way affiliated with ANY online internet escrow company. They are using our name fraudulently. Please do not transact any business with them."

So yeah, it's fake. Hope the news doesn't come too late...

I just hate the fact that there are most certainly people out there who are falling to the scams...and not much is being done about it either.

Thanks all in advance.

Puma,

Hi! I would really appreciate a call from Puma. Puma, we nearly got taken for $1500 from this guy! It's a long story but THANK GOD I was wise enough to see it just in time. To make a very long story short the seller in this case, was selling a bike that a friend of ours really wanted. We don't cycle but our friend does and he lives in Mexico so this seller guy...VERY SHADY now that I look at in retrospect insisted on using this STransaction.org escrow company! The website is still up which really bothers me considering what you explain here!!! Which is basically the same thing that happened to you! Except we had already wired the $1500...Anyway, I would love to speak with you about this because this guy and website should be stopped! Please call me at 214-929-7644 I hope you're willing to speak with me -Martha
Today is 12-10-2003 4:23pm

Thanks all in advance.

Puma,

If you still have the e-mails from this guy, do me a favor and post them, I would be curious to see how they 'work' a transaction. I have listed numerous bikes and other items on various web sites for sale and was contacted by the crew from Africa trying to scam me out of cash.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Cipher
Puma,

If you still have the e-mails from this guy, do me a favor and post them, I would be curious to see how they 'work' a transaction. I have listed numerous bikes and other items on various web sites for sale and was contacted by the crew from Africa trying to scam me out of cash.

Thanks in advance!

BTW,

Here is a scam that was just e-mailed to me, it was an attempt to get my Citi Bank card and pin # and looks pretty legit! (Dam Crooks!)

The idiots would help their cause if they knew how to spell... :D

Dear Citbiank Member,

This e-mail was sennt by the Citi sevrer to veerify your email
address. You must ceotmlpe this pscreos by clicking on the link
below and enttering in the little window your Citi Debit
full Card nummber and pin that you use on local Atm.
This is donne for your pteocrtion -U- becaurse some of our memebrs no
leognr have access to their email adsesdres and we must verify it.

To veerify your e-mail address and akcess your Citi-bank account, clic on
the link beloow. If nothing hapnpes when you clic on the link -m copie
and pastte the link into the adderss bar of your web browser.

http://www.citibank.com/?IFRCRvvTzaLVtqITqeuKLUVIY04njB03gTG9nb2YlOTEgClTQQ

---------------------------------------------
Thank you for using Citi-bank!
---------------------------------------------

This autotmaic email snet to: @msn.com
Do not reply to this email.

uDKpmJqq8K29Oi3vrqHv

The above link takes you to the actual Citi Bank web site, and a pop-up also appears asking for the acct. # and pin #. I went into Citibanks web site and found this on the above as well as various other frauds. (Links below do not work).

Learn About or Report Fraudulent E-mails

Recently our customers have reported receiving fraudulent e-mails that appear to be from Citibank but which are, in fact, sent by imposters. How can you tell the difference? Fraudulent e-mails typically include attachments, request personal information, or both.

When such e-mails are sent in our name, Citibank works aggressively with law enforcement agencies to investigate them. Below is a list of several e-mails currently under investigation. If you've received any of them, please notify us by selecting the link of the e-mail you received. If you suspect you've gotten a fraudulent e-mail that's not on this list, please report it now.
• Date: 12/04/03 Subject: Citibank winner JOHN DOE (report it)
• Date: 12/01/03 Subject: John Doe. Prize Money Notification (report it)
• Date: 11/22/03 Subject: Citibank email verification for: [email protected] (report it)
• Date: 11/20/03 Subject: Important notice regarding your account at Citibank. (report it)
• Date: 11/18/03 Subject: Citibank E-mail Verification (report it)
• Date: 11/10/03 Subject: Re: Your credit application (report it)
• Date: 11/09/03 Subject: Citibank security maintenance (report it)
• Date: 10/29/03 Subject: Important information from Citibank Billing department (report it)
• Date: 10/28/03 Subject: Citibank user information-update (report it)
• Date: 10/27/03 Subject: Citibank E-mail Verification: (report it)
• Date: 10/27/03 Subject: Citibank E-mail Verification: (report it)
• Date: 10/20/03 Subject: Citibank Information Update (report it)
• Date: 10/19/03 Subject: Your Citibank Account (report it)

If you've replied to a suspicious e-mail — and provided personal or sensitive information about your account — please contact us immediately