any reason *not* to use mountain shoes on a road bike?

Bob Ross

Jun 22, 2006
I've read a ton of the "What shoes/clipless pedals should I get?" threads, but haven't come across any that specifially address this issue:

Are there any reasons I might *not* want to use mountain bike shoes on a road bike?

I've been riding with toeclips for a decade or so, but am about to make the transition to clipless. Strictly a roadie, but, because the ability to walk safely is a very high priority (lots of biking around NYC requires one carry their bike up/down stairs or escalators) I'm leaning heavily towards mountain shoes.

Besides the higher weight and a higher Dork Factor amongst road snobs -- neither of which concerns me -- are there any disadvantages to mountain shoes? Any characteristics of the smaller cleat platform that could negatively impact knee, ankle, or plantar fascia health? ...and to such an extent that it would outweigh the aforementioned need to walk safely?

Thanks.

Bob Ross said:
I've read a ton of the "What shoes/clipless pedals should I get?" threads, but haven't come across any that specifially address this issue:

Are there any reasons I might *not* want to use mountain bike shoes on a road bike?

I've been riding with toeclips for a decade or so, but am about to make the transition to clipless. Strictly a roadie, but, because the ability to walk safely is a very high priority (lots of biking around NYC requires one carry their bike up/down stairs or escalators) I'm leaning heavily towards mountain shoes.

Besides the higher weight and a higher Dork Factor amongst road snobs -- neither of which concerns me -- are there any disadvantages to mountain shoes? Any characteristics of the smaller cleat platform that could negatively impact knee, ankle, or plantar fascia health? ...and to such an extent that it would outweigh the aforementioned need to walk safely?

Thanks.
I've been riding with MTB shoes on my road bike almost exclusively for years and see no downside to it at all. I've actually been using MTB clipless pedals, too. The ability to walk easily, comfortably and safely can't be valued enough. I personally don't understand why anybody would really want to do otherwise, frankly.

Bob Ross said:

Thanks.

I commute and tour with MTB type shoes and pedals for the walkability. I race with "road" equipment for the lower weight and increased cornering angle. I train for racing with the road shoes as I believe one should train with what the race. Otherwise, I agree that for most people the SPD-type pedal/shoe is actually far more practical than road systems.

I have spme pretty neat Specialized MTB shoes and double sided SPD pedals on my road/hybrid bike [Trek 7.6] and they work, and walk, great. I have SIDI shoes on my road bike - whick see almost no walking.

The rerversible pedals are great because you can whip off to the shops in sneakers for bread & milk :)

Do what works.

I have spme pretty neat Specialized MTB shoes and double sided SPD pedals on my road/hybrid bike [Trek 7.6] and they work, and walk, great. I have SIDI shoes on my road bike - whick see almost no walking.

The rerversible pedals are great because you can whip off to the shops in sneakers for bread & milk :)

Do what works. The MTB shoes will beat the toe baskets hands down.

When I first started riding road bikes I used toe clips and soccer shoes, worked great now I use mtn bike shoes and peddles for touring and road shoes for racing.

Good luck
Dwayne