Any recommendation for ceramic pulleys?

jojoma

Sep 7, 2007
I'm thinking of upgrading my Ultegra SL RD to ceramic pulleys (it's what I need to take my cycling to the next level :() Honestly, does anyone have experience with ceramic pulleys? FSA has some decent ones I've heard.

Someone did a test of a few pulleys on YouTube. SRAM Red spin nice.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2zg_HZY76k&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Pulleys[/ame]

Thanks

jojoma said:
I'm thinking of upgrading my Ultegra SL RD to ceramic pulleys (it's what I need to take my cycling to the next level :() Honestly, does anyone have experience with ceramic pulleys? FSA has some decent ones I've heard.

Someone did a test of a few pulleys on YouTube. SRAM Red spin nice.
YouTube - Pulleys

Thanks

Hardly a 'test'. Test them by having them get ridden in the wet and see if they are toasted. Reds will be unless you add grease when new. Not worth the $, IMO but look at BBB..inexpensive but not pretty colors.

jojoma said:
Honestly, does anyone have experience with ceramic pulleys?

There's no noticeable difference in performance. My Campy SR has ceramic bearings/bushings that spin nicely, but I am under no illusion that this would translate into any kind of performance benefit worth mentioning. It doesn't.

P.S.: And, yes, creamic BBs will typically result in a bit of a performance benefit (of the order of a few Watts), but again, that benefit is small. Not entirely negligible in this case, but small.

My old bike has a Shimano 600 deraileur, it has a cermic pulley. The new one with Ultegra should be similar. What stops those Shimano from spinning freely is not the bushing but the seals that prevent grit from getting inside. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Try removing the seals (rubber) and then spin them.

Solanog said:
My old bike has a Shimano 600 deraileur, it has a cermic pulley. The new one with Ultegra should be similar. What stops those Shimano from spinning freely is not the bushing but the seals that prevent grit from getting inside. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Try removing the seals (rubber) and then spin them.

But remember to grease them or they will dissolve into dust. I remove those seals also. A shimano tech tip when some of the DA ones caused the top bolt to unscrew in the 7400 days.

I installed Enduro ceramic bearings on my Dura Ace RD 7900. So far, they've held up very well despite wet and corrosive (marine) conditions. Other responders are right, though, you won't notice a substantial reduction in chain friction. :)

Peter@vecchios said:
But remember to grease them or they will dissolve into dust. I remove those seals also. A shimano tech tip when some of the DA ones caused the top bolt to unscrew in the 7400 days.

Thanks Peter for your advice. I greased them a little but put the seals back. At least to me I'm 100% sure that freely spinning pulleys won't get me any farther!:rolleyes:
This ceramic stuff, would it really help your performance? I'm just a recreational rider so in my case probably definitively no, but what about a pro?
Which would be the best ones to replace, hubs, bb, pulleys? IMHO it will be the hubs since they spin at much more speed than the other components and are directly involved in the rolling resistance even without pedalling.
What's your opinion?
Sorry if I'm sort of hacking your thread.

Solanog said:
What's your opinion?

I know you were not interested in anybody's opinion but Peter's :rolleyes:, but I'll give you mine anyway, free of charge: It's BB first, then hubs, then pulley wheels.

Dietmar said:
I know you were not interested in anybody's opinion but Peter's :rolleyes:, but I'll give you mine anyway, free of charge: It's BB first, then hubs, then pulley wheels.

Thanks for your free opinion ;)

BTW how is this determined? I really thought that hubs were the priority:eek:

Is there an easy and simple way to explain why the BB is the first or the more beneficial to upgrade? Is it worth it for a recreational cyclist? What about a pro are the benefits noticeable?