Any Recommendation Re:these 4 bikes?

mbear37

Mar 27, 2004
Hi,

I've been looking for a bicycle for around $1000. I'm looking for light weight, comfort yet capability of going fast, and high quality. Here's what I've narrowed it down to after extensive research:

Cannondale Sport Road 500
Trek 1200
LeMond Big Sky SL
Specialized Sequoia Elite

Thanks for the help.

marc

i just today bought a big sky sl but haven't yet ridden it extensively. I recently injured my back and wanted a more upright comfortable riding position. I just rode it 5.5 mi on inaugural ride. It is comfortable and not as bumpy as most aluminum frames are. it this is due to suspension seat post and curved rear stays. the shimano 105 is not as smooth as the ultegra but maybe it's not broken in yet. it's not as fast as an all out road bike, all other things being equal the more upright position may not yield as much leverage for power. the dual brake levers are nice. build and fit and finish is first rate.:)

roadie21 said:
i just today bought a big sky sl but haven't yet ridden it extensively. I recently injured my back and wanted a more upright comfortable riding position. I just rode it 5.5 mi on inaugural ride. It is comfortable and not as bumpy as most aluminum frames are. it this is due to suspension seat post and curved rear stays. the shimano 105 is not as smooth as the ultegra but maybe it's not broken in yet. it's not as fast as an all out road bike, all other things being equal the more upright position may not yield as much leverage for power. the dual brake levers are nice. build and fit and finish is first rate.:)

Roadie,

I ended up buying the Specialized Sequoia Elite. I believe that the combination of carbon as well as the Zertz inserts, suspension seat, and padded handlebars had the most comfortable ride of the four. It's much lighter than my last bike, but I can tell it doesn't have the "zip" that a true road bike has. My biggest complaint has been the lack of manuals that Specialized supplies with the bike. All they give you is a manual about riding bikes, and other general topics. As I like to do all my own work, it's been a little time consuming to locate information. Also, the settings on the adjustable stem don't give me a good fit, so I'm going to replace it with a permanent stem of the right size. And Specialized doesn't make a rear rack to fit the drilled rack holes on the frame (neither does anyone else). I ended up buying a bolt on rack which works very well whenever I need it. Enjoy the more comfortable ride!!

mbear37

mbear37 said:
Hi,

I've been looking for a bicycle for around $1000. I'm looking for light weight, comfort yet capability of going fast, and high quality. Here's what I've narrowed it down to after extensive research:

Cannondale Sport Road 500
Trek 1200
LeMond Big Sky SL
Specialized Sequoia Elite

Thanks for the help.

marc
I'm a Trek guy but if you want comfort with sort of a roadbike feel, I'd go with the Sequoia or the Big Sky. I don't think you will find the 1200 or the 500 as comfortable.

6 months ago i bought a cannondale r600 - i tested the trek 1200, trek 1500, specialized allez sport, giant ocr1, 2, 3

hands down the cannondale was the most comfertable, and speedy of them all.

i found the trek 1200/1500 were too twitchy, and the specialized allez just felt wrong for me.

Its definatly a personal issue. Ride them all, and take what feels best. the 1500 is more expencive than the r600 was and although i had no problem paying a extra 200 bucks for the upgrade, i found the cannondale r600 was just better for me.

The r600 is a 2004, were as the 500 i beleive is essentially the same, only the 2005 or 2006 model. let it be known, that my r600 came with ultegra rear derailer, and front derailer, as well as 105 brakes/front shifters - i beleive the 500 is tiagra

-hope this helps

Cam