Any research on different kinds of cyclists?

dot

Apr 28, 2003
I wonder is there any research on different kinds of cyclists? I mean what physiological values define whether one is a sprinter and another one is a TT-er or climber, in terms of VO2max to body mass ratio, body mass, fast/slow fibers ratio in muscles, LT/AT/MLSS power of HR levels in percents of maximal values, peak alactate anaerobic, lactate anaerobic and aerobic power levels and how long these levels can be sustained?

dot said:
I wonder is there any research on different kinds of cyclists? I mean what physiological values define whether one is a sprinter and another one is a TT-er or climber, in terms of VO2max to body mass ratio, body mass, fast/slow fibers ratio in muscles, LT/AT/MLSS power of HR levels in percents of maximal values, peak alactate anaerobic, lactate anaerobic and aerobic power levels and how long these levels can be sustained?

quite a bit of stuff. high peak power determines how good a sprinter you are. high MAP and LT determine TT ability. Moderate to high MAP and LT and low or moderately low body mass determine climbing ability. People who are trained can hold often hold the same % of VO2max for a 1-hr TT as an elite Pro (the differences will be in power or power to a ratio of something else). Just a very brief response!

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
quite a bit of stuff. high peak power determines how good a sprinter you are. high MAP and LT determine TT ability. Moderate to high MAP and LT and low or moderately low body mass determine climbing ability. People who are trained can hold often hold the same % of VO2max for a 1-hr TT as an elite Pro (the differences will be in power or power to a ratio of something else). Just a very brief response!

ric

Yes, very brief :). I wonder how do these values correlate with fast/slow fibers ratio and I just want to see some numbers. Could you give some links? PubMed links would be fine.

dot said:
Yes, very brief :). I wonder how do these values correlate with fast/slow fibers ratio and I just want to see some numbers. Could you give some links? PubMed links would be fine.

sprinter have greater quantities of "fast twitch fibres" and endurance riders tend to have more "slow twitch". sorry, i don't at present have time to search Pub-Med for the links. Searching is half the fun ;-)

ric