any road pump recommendations ?

Nick Payne

Guest
Full size frame pumps. Zefal HPX or Topeak Road MasterBlaster. Not only are
they as cheap or cheaper than the stupidly small pumps, but they actually do
the job they're supposed to.

Nick

"Woland99" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]m...
>I have touring bike with Vittoria Randonneur 700x32 tires - they need
> about 80psi.
> I bought Crank Brothers Alloy Pump for it but then checked online
> reviews and
> they are very polarized - people either hate it or think it is the
> best pump they
> ever had. Are there any other pumps you could recommend?

Jay Beattie

Guest
On Mar 9, 7:19 pm, philcycles <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 8, 5:46 pm, Jay Beattie <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >  Unlike Phil, I have broken Silca pumps at the top of the pump body
> > (where the cap screws in to the body) and had pump shafts shoot out
> > like arrows.
> > -- Jay Beattie.

> The Silca heads aren't bad although I must confess that all of my
> Silcas have Campys. And I was fortunate to be shown the proper grip on
> the tire/head many years ago and have never had one break.

I'm not even complaining about the tendency to break at the pump head/
body connection -- which may be affected by how you hold the pump.
I'm talking about cracking at the cap/threaded portion of the body. I
think the plastic gets a little thin there. Again, not to rag
unnecessarily on the Silcas. I used them for years, too. -- Jay
Beattie.

Kerry Montgomery

Guest
"Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]m...
On Mar 9, 7:19 pm, philcycles <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 8, 5:46 pm, Jay Beattie <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Unlike Phil, I have broken Silca pumps at the top of the pump body
> > (where the cap screws in to the body) and had pump shafts shoot out
> > like arrows.
> > -- Jay Beattie.

> The Silca heads aren't bad although I must confess that all of my
> Silcas have Campys. And I was fortunate to be shown the proper grip on
> the tire/head many years ago and have never had one break.

I'm not even complaining about the tendency to break at the pump head/
body connection -- which may be affected by how you hold the pump.
I'm talking about cracking at the cap/threaded portion of the body. I
think the plastic gets a little thin there. Again, not to rag
unnecessarily on the Silcas. I used them for years, too.

I remember drilling small holes through the cap/threaded portion, slipping
little rivets in the holes, and wrapping it all with electrical tape. Just
checked - one of the two Silca pumps on my 1970's bikes is still in that
condition, and still works.
Kerry