Any Rohloff experts out there? Possible oil leak?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by x, Apr 12, 2003.

  1. x

    x Guest

    Every time I change a flat or otherwise pull the wheel on one of my Rohloff hubs, I notice about a
    drop of oil hanging on the shift box before I detach it.

    The other hub is new - unridden until an alternative torque plate arrives - so I can't
    compare the two.

    Two concerns:

    1) This is awfully close to the disc brake's rotor and a drop of the stuff gone astray could hose
    the rear pads.

    2) That oil is coming from somewhere - and I'm guessing the drop I see is just the latest in a
    series of same that just fall off every so often.

    Some kind of seal problem? Normal operation?

    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

    Tags:

  2. Tom Ace

    Tom Ace Guest

    Pete Cresswell wrote:

    > Every time I change a flat or otherwise pull the wheel on one of my Rohloff hubs, I notice about a
    > drop of oil hanging on the shift box before I detach it. [...] Some kind of seal problem? Normal
    > operation?

    I'm not a Rohloff expert, but I have the external shifter cable box model and had a leak on the left
    side. Thomas of Rohloff USA suggested I tighten the five axle plate Torx screws tighter, and that
    stopped the leak.

    Rohloff has been helpful when I've had questions; www.rohloffusa.com has contact info.

    Tom Ace

  3. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >I'm not a Rohloff expert, but I have the external shifter cable box model and had a leak on the
    >left side. Thomas of Rohloff USA suggested I tighten the five axle plate Torx screws tighter, and
    >that stopped the leak.

    That was my initial suspicion.

    Did you torque them to spec or give them a little extra?

    The 25 inch-pounds they call for doesn't feel right to me, but I was reluctant to apply more because
    I don't know what's in there...
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  4. Tom Ace

    Tom Ace Guest

    Pete Cresswell wrote:

    > >I'm not a Rohloff expert, but I have the external shifter cable box model and had a leak on the
    > >left side. Thomas of Rohloff USA suggested I tighten the five axle plate Torx screws tighter, and
    > >that stopped the leak.
    >
    > That was my initial suspicion.
    >
    > Did you torque them to spec or give them a little extra?
    >
    > The 25 inch-pounds they call for doesn't feel right to me, but I was reluctant to apply more
    > because I don't know what's in there...

    Good question. I'd spoken to Rohloff USA on the 'phone, and I think they may have recommended more
    than the 25 inch-pounds that's in their printed instructions--but I'm embarrassed to say that I
    don't recall for sure.

    Tom Ace

  5. Tom Ace wrote:

    > Pete Cresswell wrote:
    >
    > > >I'm not a Rohloff expert, but I have the external shifter cable box model and had a leak on the
    > > >left side. Thomas of Rohloff USA suggested I tighten the five axle plate Torx screws tighter,
    > > >and that stopped the leak.
    > >
    > > That was my initial suspicion.
    > >
    > > Did you torque them to spec or give them a little extra?
    > >
    > > The 25 inch-pounds they call for doesn't feel right to me, but I was reluctant to apply more
    > > because I don't know what's in there...
    >
    > Good question. I'd spoken to Rohloff USA on the 'phone, and I think they may have recommended more
    > than the 25 inch-pounds that's in their printed instructions--but I'm embarrassed to say that I
    > don't recall for sure.
    >
    > Tom Ace

    I don't think Rohloff bothers to torque them to a measly 25 inch-pounds. Stripped T0RX heads are not
    unusual when you try to unscrew the torqueplate on a new hub to mount it in the required position.
    --
    Marten

  6. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >I think they may have recommended more than the 25 inch-pounds that's in their printed instructions

    Mostly not even being able to remember what I had for breakfast; I tend to save stuff like
    that...and, indeed, I just managed to fish out an 8.5 x 6" B/W booklet that says "Rohloff Speedhub
    500/14. It's only 10 pages long and looks like a supplement to something bigger and glossier that I
    can't find right now.

    On page 7 it says "...remount the Axle Plate using all five AxlePlage Screws (M4x35 Torx TX20) and
    tighten to 3Nm/25in.lbs...)
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  7. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >I don't think Rohloff bothers to torque them to a measly 25 inch-pounds. Stripped T0RX heads are
    >not unusual when you try to unscrew the torqueplate on a new hub to mount it in the required
    >position.

    Do you buy the loose axle plate expaination?
    PeteCresswell

  8. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    Whenever I remove the quick release on my Rohloff hub it's covered in oil, and I've heard from
    another Rohloff user whose hub does the same. Mine used to leak in the manner you describe. All I
    did to fix it was get a few small o-rings that were a tight fit on the quick-release skewer and
    replace the conical springs on each end with a couple of o-rings, so that when the quick release is
    tightened the o-rings seal the gap between skewer and axle.

    Nick