Any Rohloff experts out there? Possible oil leak?

Every time I change a flat or otherwise pull the wheel on one of my Rohloff hubs, I notice about a
drop of oil hanging on the shift box before I detach it.

The other hub is new - unridden until an alternative torque plate arrives - so I can't
compare the two.

Two concerns:

1) This is awfully close to the disc brake's rotor and a drop of the stuff gone astray could hose
the rear pads.

2) That oil is coming from somewhere - and I'm guessing the drop I see is just the latest in a
series of same that just fall off every so often.

Some kind of seal problem? Normal operation?

-----------------------
PeteCresswell

Pete Cresswell wrote:

> Every time I change a flat or otherwise pull the wheel on one of my Rohloff hubs, I notice about a
> drop of oil hanging on the shift box before I detach it. [...] Some kind of seal problem? Normal
> operation?

I'm not a Rohloff expert, but I have the external shifter cable box model and had a leak on the left
side. Thomas of Rohloff USA suggested I tighten the five axle plate Torx screws tighter, and that
stopped the leak.

Rohloff has been helpful when I've had questions; www.rohloffusa.com has contact info.

Tom Ace

RE/
>I'm not a Rohloff expert, but I have the external shifter cable box model and had a leak on the
>left side. Thomas of Rohloff USA suggested I tighten the five axle plate Torx screws tighter, and
>that stopped the leak.

That was my initial suspicion.

Did you torque them to spec or give them a little extra?

The 25 inch-pounds they call for doesn't feel right to me, but I was reluctant to apply more because
I don't know what's in there...
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

Pete Cresswell wrote:

> >I'm not a Rohloff expert, but I have the external shifter cable box model and had a leak on the
> >left side. Thomas of Rohloff USA suggested I tighten the five axle plate Torx screws tighter, and
> >that stopped the leak.
>
> That was my initial suspicion.
>
> Did you torque them to spec or give them a little extra?
>
> The 25 inch-pounds they call for doesn't feel right to me, but I was reluctant to apply more
> because I don't know what's in there...

Good question. I'd spoken to Rohloff USA on the 'phone, and I think they may have recommended more
than the 25 inch-pounds that's in their printed instructions--but I'm embarrassed to say that I
don't recall for sure.

Tom Ace

Tom Ace wrote:

> Pete Cresswell wrote:
>
> > >I'm not a Rohloff expert, but I have the external shifter cable box model and had a leak on the
> > >left side. Thomas of Rohloff USA suggested I tighten the five axle plate Torx screws tighter,
> > >and that stopped the leak.
> >
> > That was my initial suspicion.
> >
> > Did you torque them to spec or give them a little extra?
> >
> > The 25 inch-pounds they call for doesn't feel right to me, but I was reluctant to apply more
> > because I don't know what's in there...
>
> Good question. I'd spoken to Rohloff USA on the 'phone, and I think they may have recommended more
> than the 25 inch-pounds that's in their printed instructions--but I'm embarrassed to say that I
> don't recall for sure.
>
> Tom Ace

I don't think Rohloff bothers to torque them to a measly 25 inch-pounds. Stripped T0RX heads are not
unusual when you try to unscrew the torqueplate on a new hub to mount it in the required position.
--
Marten

RE/
>I think they may have recommended more than the 25 inch-pounds that's in their printed instructions

Mostly not even being able to remember what I had for breakfast; I tend to save stuff like
that...and, indeed, I just managed to fish out an 8.5 x 6" B/W booklet that says "Rohloff Speedhub
500/14. It's only 10 pages long and looks like a supplement to something bigger and glossier that I
can't find right now.

On page 7 it says "...remount the Axle Plate using all five AxlePlage Screws (M4x35 Torx TX20) and
tighten to 3Nm/25in.lbs...)
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

RE/
>I don't think Rohloff bothers to torque them to a measly 25 inch-pounds. Stripped T0RX heads are
>not unusual when you try to unscrew the torqueplate on a new hub to mount it in the required
>position.

Do you buy the loose axle plate expaination?
PeteCresswell

Whenever I remove the quick release on my Rohloff hub it's covered in oil, and I've heard from
another Rohloff user whose hub does the same. Mine used to leak in the manner you describe. All I
did to fix it was get a few small o-rings that were a tight fit on the quick-release skewer and
replace the conical springs on each end with a couple of o-rings, so that when the quick release is
tightened the o-rings seal the gap between skewer and axle.

Nick