any runners with cervical ruptured disc in the past?

Paul

Guest
As a triathlete recently diagnosed with a cervical disc rupture, I need to
know if this is the end of my running and I should find another endurance
activty or are there lots of runners who, after healing, can run again.

Any experiences are much appreciated

On Aug 24, 2:34 pm, "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:
> As a triathlete recently diagnosed with a cervical disc rupture, I need to
> know if this is the end of my running and I should find another endurance
> activty or are there lots of runners who, after healing, can run again.
>
> Any experiences are much appreciated

I have degenerative disc disease with 3 discs in my lower back gone,
and several more on the way out in my neck, arthritis of the spine as
well as knees and hands, and bone spurs. I took up running after 3
years of listening to drs warnings not to, and now I run 9 to 12 miles
avg a day. they said I'd be in a wheelchair by 40, that was many, many
years ago, and I believe had I listened to their advice I would
certainly be in one now.
My secret is frequent, monthly or bi-monthly in my case, chiropractic
visits to keep everything lined up properly. Without those running
would be impossible, but finding a good one is tough.
Don't give up, don't listen to anyone who says your running days are
over. They are if you believe they are, and only then.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Aug 24, 2:34 pm, "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> As a triathlete recently diagnosed with a cervical disc rupture, I need
>> know if this is the end of my running and I should find another endurance
>> activty or are there lots of runners who, after healing, can run again.
>>
>> Any experiences are much appreciated

> I have degenerative disc disease with 3 discs in my lower back gone,
> and several more on the way out in my neck, arthritis of the spine as
> well as knees and hands, and bone spurs. I took up running after 3
> years of listening to drs warnings not to, and now I run 9 to 12 miles
> avg a day. they said I'd be in a wheelchair by 40, that was many, many
> years ago, and I believe had I listened to their advice I would
> certainly be in one now.
> My secret is frequent, monthly or bi-monthly in my case, chiropractic
> visits to keep everything lined up properly. Without those running
> would be impossible, but finding a good one is tough.
> Don't give up, don't listen to anyone who says your running days are
> over. They are if you believe they are, and only then.

Thanks for the hope! I am hearing more and more about chiropractors being
taken seriously by athletes.

On Aug 24, 3:05 pm, "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks for the hope! I am hearing more and more about chiropractors being
> taken seriously by athletes.

Yes it's been a long time coming. Myths and old wives tales about them
still abound. But you are right that every major sports rehab facility
utilizes chiros as needed, and they are accepted now as legitamit
dr's, with a void that needs to be filled. I couldn't walk, nevermind
run the miles I do without them.

Paul wrote:
> As a triathlete recently diagnosed with a cervical disc rupture, I need to
> know if this is the end of my running and I should find another endurance
> activty or are there lots of runners who, after healing, can run again.
>
> Any experiences are much appreciated

I've had a herniated upper disk for 33 years and learned to live with
it without pain most of the time.
Running has never bothered it. Weight lifting did bother it until I
found out what routines helped it.
There was an article a few weeks ago where doctors discovered that a
man had been living with a broken neck for decades.

What a bunch of ********.

--
_________________
Alric Knebel

http://www.ironeyefortress.com/C-SPAN_loon.html

On Aug 24, 5:44 pm, Al Bundy <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've had a herniated upper disk for 33 years and learned to live with
> it without pain most of the time.
> Running has never bothered it. Weight lifting did bother it until I
> found out what routines helped it.
> There was an article a few weeks ago where doctors discovered that a
> man had been living with a broken neck for decades.

But why? Get it fixed by a chiro, and no more suffering. But I agree
with everything else. I've hurt my back sneezing, farting, coughing,
just getting out of bed, but never, ever has running ever aggravated
it, or made it worse in any way, and 99 out of 100 it fixes it right
up so it doesn't hurt anymore.
BTW, I forgot to ad in my other post about the fragmented disc, with a
free floating fragment. Eventually I ignored my herniated disc until
it tore off a thumbnail sized piece, and it moved freely around in
there (un-encapsulated) randomly pressing on whatever nerve it hit.
The drs are amazed again, because the free floating fragment is gone,
and that never happens. I wore it away running, but they've never seen
that happen before.
Take my advice, going to a chiro is much easier, and a lot less
painful.

[email protected] wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> It's hard to believe I could still have such a cute ass, with all that
> going on in my back, eh Knebel?

Okay, okay. Maybe I am being a bit optimistic, eh, Knebel? Maybe my ass
isn't so cute . . . YET! But I started doing the Thigh Master, and I think
I'm starting to see some results. Soon I'm going to take a few more
pictures of my butt to really make sure. I'll post them again. You be the
judge. And be honest. Okay?

Alric Knebel <alric@[cableone.net]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> [email protected] wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>

>> It's hard to believe I could still have such a cute ass, with all
>> that going on in my back, eh Knebel?

> Okay, okay. Maybe I am being a bit optimistic, eh, Knebel? Maybe my
> ass isn't so cute . . . YET! But I started doing the Thigh Master,
> and I think I'm starting to see some results. Soon I'm going to take
> a few more pictures of my butt to really make sure. I'll post them
> again. You be the judge. And be honest. Okay?

I suppose you think that's funny, eh, Knebel? Eh? Well, so what? So what
if I use a Thigh Master? I mean, I can lay down and exercise (like I like
to work: on my belly or on my side).

Paul wrote:
> As a triathlete recently diagnosed with a cervical disc rupture, I need to
> know if this is the end of my running and I should find another endurance
> activty or are there lots of runners who, after healing, can run again.
>
> Any experiences are much appreciated

Oh. I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I read this after my
last message.

I wish you a very speedy and healthy recovery.

Paul wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Aug 24, 2:34 pm, "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> As a triathlete recently diagnosed with a cervical disc rupture, I need
>>> know if this is the end of my running and I should find another endurance
>>> activty or are there lots of runners who, after healing, can run again.
>>>
>>> Any experiences are much appreciated

>> I have degenerative disc disease with 3 discs in my lower back gone,
>> and several more on the way out in my neck, arthritis of the spine as
>> well as knees and hands, and bone spurs. I took up running after 3
>> years of listening to drs warnings not to, and now I run 9 to 12 miles
>> avg a day. they said I'd be in a wheelchair by 40, that was many, many
>> years ago, and I believe had I listened to their advice I would
>> certainly be in one now.
>> My secret is frequent, monthly or bi-monthly in my case, chiropractic
>> visits to keep everything lined up properly. Without those running
>> would be impossible, but finding a good one is tough.
>> Don't give up, don't listen to anyone who says your running days are
>> over. They are if you believe they are, and only then.

> Thanks for the hope! I am hearing more and more about chiropractors being
> taken seriously by athletes.

Have hope and always give yourself a way to heal. Imagine yourself
healing before you go to bed, and before you get up in the morning. Even
imagine your injury leaving you as you exhale, or pee, during other
elimination, as you shower, and wash your hands, and you soap up and as
you towel dry see it being removed.

I don't go to chiro very often, but when I do it has been very helpful
(depending on the dr.)

Triathlete wrote:

> Paul wrote:
>
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> I have degenerative disc disease with 3 discs in my lower back gone,
>>> and several more on the way out in my neck, arthritis of the spine as
>>> well as knees and hands, and bone spurs. I took up running after 3
>>> years of listening to drs warnings not to, and now I run 9 to 12 miles
>>> avg a day. they said I'd be in a wheelchair by 40, that was many, many
>>> years ago, and I believe had I listened to their advice I would
>>> certainly be in one now.
>>> My secret is frequent, monthly or bi-monthly in my case, chiropractic
>>> visits to keep everything lined up properly. Without those running
>>> would be impossible, but finding a good one is tough.
>>> Don't give up, don't listen to anyone who says your running days are
>>> over. They are if you believe they are, and only then.

>> Thanks for the hope! I am hearing more and more about chiropractors
>> being taken seriously by athletes.

> Have hope and always give yourself a way to heal. Imagine yourself
> healing before you go to bed, and before you get up in the morning. Even
> imagine your injury leaving you as you exhale, or pee, during other
> elimination, as you shower, and wash your hands, and you soap up and as
> you towel dry see it being removed.
>
> I don't go to chiro very often, but when I do it has been very helpful
> (depending on the dr.)

And Bill invents ANOTHER identity with which to show he's a stupid
asshole.

Bill, you know how that comedian says, "you can't fix stupid." Well,
you can't hide it, either.

--
_________________

On Aug 30, 8:02 am, Alric Knebel <alric@[cableone.net]> wrote:
> Triathlete wrote:
> > Paul wrote:

> >> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>news:[email protected]...

> >> Thanks for the hope! I am hearing more and more about chiropractors
> >> being taken seriously by athletes.

> > Have hope and always give yourself a way to heal. Imagine yourself
> > healing before you go to bed, and before you get up in the morning. Even
> > imagine your injury leaving you as you exhale, or pee, during other
> > elimination, as you shower, and wash your hands, and you soap up and as
> > you towel dry see it being removed.

> > I don't go to chiro very often, but when I do it has been very helpful
> > (depending on the dr.)

> And Bill invents ANOTHER identity with which to show he's a stupid
> asshole.
>
> Bill, you know how that comedian says, "you can't fix stupid." Well,
> you can't hide it, either.
>
> --
> _________________
> Alric Knebel
>
> http://www.ironeyefortress.com/C-SPAN_loon.htmlhttp://www.ironeyefortress.com- Hide quoted text -

Nevermind him, with my multiple personalty disorders I'm loonier than
a frickin' jaybird.
--
_________________

On Aug 24, 12:34 pm, "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:
> As a triathlete recently diagnosed with a cervical disc rupture, I need to
> know if this is the end of my running and I should find another endurance
> activty or are there lots of runners who, after healing, can run again.

Are there symptoms?
When I had my auto accident whiplash MRI five years ago,
several doctors told me a third of my disks were degenerate
and this was typical for my age. I had whiplash pain, but not
much from the pre-degenerate disks.

"Triathlete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Paul wrote:
>> As a triathlete recently diagnosed with a cervical disc rupture, I need
>> to know if this is the end of my running and I should find another
>> endurance activty or are there lots of runners who, after healing, can
>> run again.
>>
>> Any experiences are much appreciated

> Oh. I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I read this after my
> last message.
>
> I wish you a very speedy and healthy recovery.

Thanks.

"rick++" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Aug 24, 12:34 pm, "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> As a triathlete recently diagnosed with a cervical disc rupture, I need
>> know if this is the end of my running and I should find another endurance
>> activty or are there lots of runners who, after healing, can run again.

> Are there symptoms?
> When I had my auto accident whiplash MRI five years ago,
> several doctors told me a third of my disks were degenerate
> and this was typical for my age. I had whiplash pain, but not
> much from the pre-degenerate disks.

Symtoms were shotting pain down the arm. But I think I am getting better