Any single speed fans out their?

Alnamvet

Aug 17, 2003
Just brought out my '2000 Schwinn Panther out of mothballs, put it back together sans fenders, took a ride thru downtown Norfolk, and realized what real bike riding was and should be all about.
Share your stories if you love NFG's.:cool:

Originally posted by Alnamvet
Just brought out my '2000 Schwinn Panther out of mothballs, put it back together sans fenders, took a ride thru downtown Norfolk, and realized what real bike riding was and should be all about.
Share your stories if you love NFG's.:cool:

Im building one up as I speak... on-one inbred. Once its finished (and i've ridden it) i'll hopefully have something further to say. The world championships are here (Vic, Australia) in a couple of weeks so i would be hoping it will be by then!

yep i have a dawes edge one at the moment, will be getting an ebb on one inbred come next summer.

Too many too count,

Mongoose ss
Kona Pahoehoe ss, this is my racing baby and lovechild
Old road bike with fixed wheel

If anyone has not hearsd the white brothers eccentric hub is da' bomb, converts any vertical dropout bike to singlespeed with nfwoories about chain tension and runs like a bloody dream.

By the way the sswc '03 in Victoria rocked!!!

Angus, Melbourne,

yep, Salsa converted to EBB with disc tabs by Tom Teesdale, also a Teesdale rigid straight blade fork, it's a fantsatic bike to ride !!

I'm currently working on winter project..a 92 serrotta t max
with paul ss dropouts being brazed in..red paul hubs,need a salsa
or syncros 1" quill stem..120- 130mm.. can't decide on color thought about a classic bridgestone zip "bone" color..with
candy red panels to match the hubs..single speeds make
you remember why you ride...

Glad I found this thread.
I'm converting my Ibis Ti Mojo into my first SS and I'm taking the less expensive route for now. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Like which tensioner do you prefer/use?
Front chainring? I see that Spot makes a chainring with a spider that, I assume will work on an XTR crankset? Or should I just use a bolt on?

Thanks for any input.

regarding chain tensioners :
I recently set up my Cannondale F800 with a DMR tensioner and am still not happy with it. Its noisy, refuses to tension properly for more than a few days at a time, which means I end up checking it every time I ride. The little chain guide that hangs over the cog on the tensioner also has a nasty habit of turning back, so the chain ends up running against it. The DMR is one of those ones with a single cog and I've been thinking that the double cog ones (similar to the tensioner on a derailleur) may be the better option, because this one sucks.

Can I can the DMR chain tensioner too here? :mad: My SS convert MTB runs the DMR tensioner & I’ve had heaps of problems with the mounting alloy bolt. It shredded the thread so I used a mount bolt out of an old rear derailleur I had – metal.
The DMR tensioner does not take advantage of any of the common rear derailleur points on the frame to provide tension & relies on the tightness of the mounting bolt to the frame (which is soft-ish alloy & had stripped it’s thread).
The little cog on the tensioner is now the loudest thing on the bike when not freewheeling.

My SS MTB is a pavement commuter so the gearing is a tallish 44/18.

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/Marx748-200604ipost.JPG

Marx SS said:
Can I can the DMR chain tensioner too here? :mad: My SS convert MTB runs the DMR tensioner & I’ve had heaps of problems with the mounting alloy bolt. It shredded the thread so I used a mount bolt out of an old rear derailleur I had – metal.
The DMR tensioner does not take advantage of any of the common rear derailleur points on the frame to provide tension & relies on the tightness of the mounting bolt to the frame (which is soft-ish alloy & had stripped it’s thread).
The little cog on the tensioner is now the loudest thing on the bike when not freewheeling.

My SS MTB is a pavement commuter so the gearing is a tallish 44/18.

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/Marx748-200604ipost.JPG
Nice bike mate :D