Any site to diagnose problems?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Elyob, May 30, 2003.

  1. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    Sheldon Brown's site is all well and good, but I often have a problem diagnosing the fault. Is there
    a site which gives descriptions of problems to allow me to diagnose?

    Basically, the bottom bracket is making an irregular noise that sounds as if the bearings are dirty.
    It's a under tension problem only.

    Tags:

  2. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sheldon Brown's site is all well and good, but I often have a problem diagnosing the fault. Is
    > there a site which gives descriptions of problems to allow me to diagnose?
    >
    > Basically, the bottom bracket is making an irregular noise that sounds as
    if
    > the bearings are dirty. It's a under tension problem only.

    If it's not a cartridge unit strip it and check it out. If it's a cartridge unit remove it from the
    bike, place it on a bench or table, hold the cartridge then revolve the axle by rolling the side of
    your hand on it, one side at a time (the axle:). The table/bench will act as a sounding board
    amplifying any naughty noises. If there are any the unit most likely needs replacing.

    Pete

  3. On Fri, 30 May 2003 13:28:13 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote:

    In my experiance it is possible to diagnose without removing the bottom bracket, remove the cranks
    and turn the spindle between fingers. Any irregularity or stiffnes replace bottom bracket

    Other sources of noise that can be confused with bottom bracket

    Pedals, why do I always wear out my right hand side pedal Seat post and clamp, last week I had a
    noise that I thought could be the bottom bracket eventually traced it to a slightly loose seat post
    to seat clamp. By slightly loose I'm talking about quarter of a turn with a six inch allen key

    Beware a well maintained bike should not make any strange noises, be it clicking,creaking or clatter
    from the driveline. Things do not get better they eventually fail, frequently miles from home

    >"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Sheldon Brown's site is all well and good, but I often have a problem diagnosing the fault. Is
    >> there a site which gives descriptions of problems to allow me to diagnose?
    >>
    >> Basically, the bottom bracket is making an irregular noise that sounds as
    >if
    >> the bearings are dirty. It's a under tension problem only.
    >
    >If it's not a cartridge unit strip it and check it out. If it's a cartridge unit remove it from the
    >bike, place it on a bench or table, hold the cartridge then revolve the axle by rolling the side of
    >your hand on it, one side at a time (the axle:). The table/bench will act as a sounding board
    >amplifying any naughty noises. If there are any the unit most likely needs replacing.
    >
    >Pete

    Remove nospam from email address to reply